8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Tales of Wildwood: The 2nd Film Collectors Show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tales of Wildwood: The 2nd Film Collectors Show
Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 05, 2010 12:35 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first convention took place over a cold, drizzly, damp weekend in December 2009. Super 8mm diehards still came out but the many who couldn’t make it asked for the next one to take place during warmer temperatures and away from major holidays. John Black gave em’ what they asked for!

-
 -
Two views from my hotel room. I was almost glad I woke up early enough to see the sunrise!

-
Films in the foreground, Tom Stathes in the background.

-
Tons o’ film.

-
Claus Harding and his Nizo came in from Washington DC!

-
“Shorty” Caruso checking out those original boxes.

-
 -
I had a table with digests, features, reels and my Bauer T510 with Roy Neil’s Film-O-Clean attached. Film show attendees received a coupon for a discount on Roy’s invention.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 05, 2010 12:36 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-
John Black checking out a 16mm print of “A&C Meet Frankenstein”……

-
…..while Claus watches a Super 8mm release of “The Blue Angel”.

-
The projectors were rolling constantly. Buyers could check out the films before purchasing.

-
Lou Franchetti (right) always brings stacks and stacks of films, both 16mm & Super 8mm. I picked up some great prints from him this time, including a 16mm copy of “Warlords of Atlantis” with beautiful color. I’m working on getting Lou to post a sale list on this Forum.

-
Shorty models the extremely rare Blackhawk Films windbreaker!

-

I had a terrific time. Better hotel, nicer location (right by the beach!) and the dealer space was huge. After a group dinner on Saturday, some collectors had arrived late so John reopened the dealer space and there were films being sold into the night!

On a serious note, I wish more Forum members had been there to show their support for John’s tremendous undertaking. Come on, folks! How often does a film convention that features 8mm happen in the States? We’ve talked about this for years and John is the one who finally made it happen. He’s already considering putting together one more convention in October, and I believe we need to show that we’re really committed to this.

I’m looking forward to seeing Claus’ super 8mm footage. We’ll post it here, just like the BFCC video.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 05, 2010 07:55 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At last, my terribly disfigured and horrendous face is displayed for shuddered eyes to cover...ah...Now on to the bad part, I'm STILL ugly - The best part is that without John's efforts, there would be no show and we collectors would never have the opportunity to meet and deal - This shows John Black cares alot about filma nd all of us - next show is for October, first weekend I think - Let's try and get this one really off the ground and catapult into major gatherings with collectors/dealers world-wide - Film production began in Jersey, so why not celebrate this continually with fine expos as John Black offers? Where else can you find a diversity of gauges in film and a splendid array of the best people, friends and new-friends alike, fun and much to discuss - I had a ball and wish it was longer, with all our support, this very well could happen - Stay up, stay tuned and we'll tell all the latest news for the next showtimes - Bring your films to show and sell, this is one you won't want to miss - Shorty

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2010 08:47 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seriously considering going in October. It'll be a long drive, but if I can get the time off it'll be worth it. It's actually not far from by birthplace, Cape May Court House.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 05, 2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up for October.

Just a word to the wise: Please avoid Columbus Day weekend as there's always a lot going on and that will really thin the herd. I already know what I'm doing that weekend.

Other than Thanksgiving, November is a pretty dead month. That may be even better.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2010 09:39 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

You should come if at all possible; it's well worth it both for the hobby and for the relaxation by the sea.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 05, 2010 10:36 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus is right - October will have many activites going on and will eventually draw interested newcomers who collect antiques and collectibles to venture in and about, ask questions and in turn, create a wider acceptance for buyers as well - It grows this way out of curiosity and like many such collector shows in taht area (recordings, books, toys, etc), will become wide-spread and well-known - Resorts areas are a major draw ticket for such expos - Take it from Shorty

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2010 12:37 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make it October and I absolutely promise I will be there..I will bring some 9.5 to screen, some films to sell, and some money to burn, but november is too close all of the holiday/family trips so i probably could not justify leaving town twice in the same month., But as soon as you can pick the weekend let me know and I'll book my flight early....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 06, 2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
October sounds much better for me!
Just a question for those of you that attended:
Did you find that many of the good deals,films were sold on Saturday so that on Sunday there were slim pickins?
Just curious as when it happens again I can only make it on a Sunday.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 06, 2010 02:00 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like this show is picking up momentum. That's good to see.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2010 02:36 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the first weekend in October!!!! Already have a few surprises for everyone.Also,I got some of my best stuff on Sunday.There is so much film at the tables that there is plenty of goodies to go around. We can't wait to see you Dino. Not to make your chops wet,but I picked up pristine prints of The Bells,Crime and Punishment and The Last Command! Wait till you see what Tom Stathes brings.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 06, 2010 03:48 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps John Clancy could arrange for the photos to be included on the OTHER EVENTS section of the BFCC site??

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2010 09:09 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just confimed the hotel.The next show will be Oct 2-3.Lots of surprises planned.You can make reservations now.Any dealers interested,email me at johnnyraoul@netzero.net. Omer Wayne HAS confirmed this time!

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC