8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What we would like to see released

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What we would like to see released
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 21, 2003 04:25 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I know we went through this on the old forum but with people like Duncan from Derann Films reading the forum isnt it time we said what we wanted and not what the Dealers think we want.
No disrespect to the Dealers as they are doing a good job but what about some input from us that way the Dealers will get an idea of the sort of titles they would be able to sell and numbers, as they obviously have to have a minimum number of sales to make it viable.
I for one, like I stated in the "Gone Nutty" thread, would like to see a stereo, scope extract from Spiderman or indeed the complete feature. Some more Disney releases would be great too. [Smile]

Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2003 04:53 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As predominately a b/w collector, please can we have b/w prints on b/w stock?

--------------------
Tim

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2003 06:06 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see the opening sequence to 'Monsters inc'. The bit with the birds on the telephone wire, easily the funniest bit of animation I have ever seen.

Anything new would have to have cracking sound quality though and if the reviews of 'Gone Nutty are to be believed, it seems as though Derann have cracked that at last.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An almost impossible request due to running time, but it would have to
be the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. (ok, pt 3 isnt out yet....)

Stuart

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2003 02:44 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a copy of 'Spiderman' please. I spoke to Phil Sheard at the BFCC and apparently I am the only person that responded to the possibility of this appearing. Shame.

Other than that, how about 'Gladiator'? If the feature isn't possible how about the 'Battle of Carthage' sequence where the gladiators are supposed to be slaughtered but wipe out their opponents.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The possibility of getting a feature release from Derann is extremely remote unless someone takes a nosebleed in Dudley
Go on prove me wrong!!

Some new Tom & Jerrys which haven't been released
before or new versions instead of the butchered Walton jobs.
would be nice.

Laurel & Hardys on polyester black & white stock
would be extremely nice.

Re releases of Hollywood and the Stars series would be super.

Kylie Minogue in the bucking bronco ad would be excellent.

I would buy two copies.

(Deep intake of breath required now)

Seriously, I think if Derann are going to continue releasing new super 8 they have to put their bread upon the water soon before collectors turn off completely. It may not be feasible to release features but cartoons promos etc would test the market. I notice their catalogue of existing titles appears to be getting smaller.

No doubt a rain of shit will land on my head for saying this but everybody I know in the film collecting world reckon it only a matter of time before Derann withdraws from releasing new super 8. Everybody is thinking it Im just delivering the message so dont blame me.

I would hope it is wrong as they have supplied world class prints and allowed the hobby to continue beyond anybody's expectations.

However, they have to shake off the Walt Disney (ie. what would Derek have done)syndrome they are living in and issue some new product now or they will be dead in the water.

Maybe they are planning new releases but PR and advance publicity keeps your business alive and in collectors minds. Derek knew about the importance of that. I have no axe to grind with Derann I will buy prints from them if they issue them.

If you run a bakery. People want fresh bread not yesterday
stale left overs. Unless they are "Rare" or "Mint" of course.

Kick up the backside of this forum now delivered.

If I have disturbed anybody's sleep. My apologies.

Regards

Mike

[ June 23, 2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 23, 2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Mike, What more can be said. Straight for the kill so to speak. I do agree with Mike, It's new releases which will keep collectors interested in buying. There is definitely now a lack of new titles arround and we dont all collect trailers and shorts. It needs a company to start releasing good titles again to help push this hobby along and keep it going. I think some new titles would also help to attract new collectors.
Come on duncan get those boxing gloves on! [Wink]

Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2003 08:55 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care who releases them; but I'd love to have classic horror features available(the titles that aren't already...) both new and old. Films I could watch again and again on the bigger screen; like Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" & "Day of the Dead", Harryhausen's "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms", Fulci's films like "Zombie", Stuart Gordon's "Re-Animator", John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness", etc.,etc.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I think Joe is quite right. The horror and splatter movies, especially "Dawn of the Dead" and "Re-Animator" would be my favourites, too. I am really convinced that it must be possible to reach enough collectors who would buy these titles on super8mm. I have seen a 16mm print of "Dawn of the Dead" recently and it is really astonishing on the big screen.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2003 02:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are new releases in the pipeline fellas, don't worry about that. I wouldn't rule out features in the future it all depends on how well a feature release would be likely to sell. Currently there is nothing that just about all us collectors would desperately want but something may be released in the future that warrants a release.

Interesting to see "Prince of Darkness" mentioned. I think that is one of John Carpenter's best films but I've only ever managed to get a 1:33 laser disc of it. How about a feature release of "The Thing" 1982?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Duncan MacLeod
Junior

- posted June 24, 2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Duncan MacLeod   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan MacLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about boxing gloves Kevin......first off I do appreciate the honesty Mike, I'd much rather have it that way. Can I just start by saying that Derann have NO intention whatsoever of ceasing Super 8 releases contrary to many whispers that have emanated from the super 8 community for a couple of years now. We have various things we are working on and intend to release. We will let you know the dates and when you can purchase these (if interested!)
I wish it was a simple procedure for releasing prints but to be honest it's a complex minefield...we are trying Mike and as I said before we do appreciate the honesty..... Let's hope the rain doesn't come to soon eh [Wink]

Duncan

--------------------
Why not visit the Derann Film Services website on www.derann.co.uk

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 13, 2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mike Peckham as far as a Super-8 release of "For the Birds", but since it is quite short it would be neat if it was paired with the short "Mike's New Car" which is also on the "Monsters Inc." DVD. Between the two of them they would fill up a 200 footer quite nicely.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2003 02:10 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was good to read Duncan's assurance of Derann's continuing output, but he didn't mention b/w stock.

I recently bought (2nd hand - but recent) a print of a b/w documentary which turned out to be on colour stock. It started out fine: almost perfect b/w; then it went blue; then it went so yellow I thought the projector lamp was on the blink. There were scratches on it like miniature rainbows. No names - yet.

--------------------
Tim

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 14, 2003 08:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
ohh errr Tim, Better check my copy of Dambusters which is on poly colour stock and looked really neutral when I last looked at it. [Frown]

Kevin.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 18, 2003 02:13 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
S8S complete edition of A&C MEET F- - That would be one request, and I know many would buy it - Shorty

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2003 02:53 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Matrix please on s8. There seems to be a very strong following for scary movies between s8 collectors-horror type in particular. I wonder why?

This talk about b/w films on colour stock is interesting. Is it easy to tell colour stock from b/w by looking at it? Also are these colour shifts a product of time or inherent in the original material?

Tony [Confused]

--------------------
Tony

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2003 04:33 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film I bought was fairly new, so the defects were in the original print. I don't know if there any b/w on colour prints have been around long enough to display the full glory of fading. I would suspect that they will just end up faint sepia, like old colour prints on stock other than Kodachrome of Technicolor.

--------------------
Tim

Keith Mockett
Junior

- posted July 19, 2003 05:07 AM      Profile for Keith Mockett   Author's Homepage   Email Keith Mockett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to see a tendency towards horror/fantasy/sci fi on collector's wish lists. A movie I'd love to see on Super 8 is Ken Russell's The Boyfriend with Twiggy (disliked by many!). I am sure that there's a snowflake-in-hell chance of it ever being released. Also in my la-la land of Super 8 wishes P.T.Anderson's Punch Drunk Love was pretty special.

On the subject of Black and White movies on Black and White film stock - is it a question of cost? Is it true to state that colour film stock is cheaper than b/w?

Keith

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2003 06:35 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen "Dawn of the Dead" mentioned a few times on the "What Collectors Want" posts. While I have to admit that I somewhat out-grew my lust for those gore-and-zombie movies some time in my 30's, I would definately purchase this one if it ever became available on super 8. It absolutely stands above the rest, mostly due to character developement, appealing settings, and a decent soundtrack - not to mention great effects by Tom Savini.

I remember back around 1980 when super 8 was at its peak, someone here in the USA was releasing a full length boot-leg version of this on super 8 and they wanted over $900 dollars for it! Remember, thats $900 1980 dollars. I actually contemplated saving up for this at the time (with my part-time $70 a week job). I snapped back to reality quick though. There may be some prints out there some where. Did anyone on this forum ever own one? How was the quality? Nick.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2003 05:38 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we discussed this last time around, but a big problem is that we all collect different types of film. I wish you guys the best on the horror stuff, and I'm not disputing quality, but I would never consider purchasing DAWN OF THE DEAD, for example (just not my cup of tea). I would probably purchase a print of THE BOYFRIEND before all the blood and guts films, but that's a pretty extreme example (sorry, Keith). You can have THE MATRIX and SPIDERMAN (Good films-but not my choice to run over and over again), Keith and I are going to start a petition for the release of PUNCH DRUNK LOVE.

By the way, Keith, wouldn't a scope print of either MAGNOLIA or BOOGIE NIGHTS be more fun in a visual sense?

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 20, 2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Now "Boogie Nights" that would be good for a laugh. Not a bad choice, Paul.

Kevin. [Cool]

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the whole thing comes down to the cost of buying the rights to copy the films. I know that was the big thing back in the 70's. Most of the releases by companies like "Red Fox" were in the public domain so the copyrights had expired and no royalties had to be paid. Is that still the case?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 21, 2003 01:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Duncan, If your reading this thread perhaps you could shed some light on all this super 8 release business for us. Joe made an interesting point there about copyright.

Kevin.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 25, 2014 09:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very old thread with a very common subject.

Let us see what titles are mentioned here have been realized. We now have Spiderman, Matrix, etc.

From this we can see how this hobby keeps growing... !! [Cool]

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC