8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Brief Encounter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brief Encounter
Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2003 03:18 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, I screened Walton's Brief Encounter 350' digest for the first time. Although I couldn't resist buying it, I'd been putting it off screening it in case it was a disappointment after the feature.

I needn't have worried. It is a brilliant abridgement: losing the Carey/Holloway sub plot, and perhaps the sordid aspect of the 'friend's flat' scene, but retaining the essence - especially trains at Carnforth! And it is on real b/w stock without the tints.

Just wanted to share with people who would undertand!

--------------------
Tim

|  IP: Logged

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Tim,
I understand your feelings; some digests are really well done, while others give the impression that the editor never saw the film before. I just ordered the digest of ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, mainly out of curiosity (how can they make sense of it in a 17 minute version?). I'm glad you shared the info on BRIEF ENCOUNTER (what a good film!), so if I ever come across one, I'll have your recommendation. Thanks!

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tim, Could you please tell me what the sound quality is like on your copy? I have the same 2 reeler on standard 8mm. As you say the editing is very good but my version is let down by the bass-heavy soundtrack. I have an old Rank 16mm catalogue which lists Brief Encounter but the write-up stated that the film was not suitable for screening in halls due to the quality of the sound.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2003 02:45 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, Yes I guess the track is a bit short of higher audio frequencies. It may have been taken from a 16 mm master. I felt that the track improved towards the end.

However, we do tend to get used to TV/video 25 fps sound and first impression of a 24 fps track is that it is a bit bassy.

--------------------
Tim

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little footnote to this topic. The BBC news ran an item today (October 17th) about the restoration and re-opening of Carnforth Station. The one surviving member of the cast performed the opening ceremony and the film was screened (digitally) for those present.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2003 05:37 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found my copy and had a look/listen.The sound is very average but this could be due to the number of times it has been through the projector over the years!Waltons sound was only "good"-never seen a Walton print with "excellent" sound.(But the colour of most old 4x400fters is certainly enduring.)Trev

--------------------
Trevor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC