8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Excellent idea for the mag, what do you all think?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Excellent idea for the mag, what do you all think?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 31, 2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With ref to the FFTC mag,(only got 4 answers to the last one)do you all think a suggestion to Derann for the best letter,(not tips,hehe)in the Your letters page wins a prize, something like a Trailer or something for the best one to encourage us all to write in and keep it alive,now ACE mag is finished it may encourage some of those over who only got the one.Similar to the newspapers that give a tenner for the crossword, (there another idea)As its only every 4 months i rekon the boys may be able to strecth to giving a trailer away. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ACE is finished?! When did that happen??

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 31, 2004 04:18 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Within the last month. K Wilton informed me just as i was about to to the elmo drives in it, apparantly the man running it lost all his computer data and has now decided notto continue [Frown]
This is why i think its important to get FFTC back up to speed and get as many peopke involved as os poo before we lose that to.
I'm surprised (as is Derann and many other super 8 heavyweights)how little the response is to it. It's certainly showing here to. Hope no one thinks im out of order, please let me know if you think i am and why.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news about ACE. It was full of interesting articles and carried adverts not found in FFTC.There was always something of interest in the classifieds too. Suppose thats the end of the Ten Best as well. Shame.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 31, 2004 07:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Briliant Idea. Now lets persuade Derann. They now have a monopoly so lets hope they use it. [Smile] Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 02:34 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

Great idea. Make it a feature Duncs and even I will get my pen and paper out!! [Wink]

As for ACE, never knew about this one, who was it aimed at? Could we get in touch with some of the advertisers/sponsors/readers etc and expand FFTC?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 03:44 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is huge potential for a magazine for the super 8 world at the moment provided it is properly presented and marketted. You only have to look at the number of people, many youngsters, who check in to the 8mm film shooting forum; http://www.8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 to realise just how much interest there is in the world of small guage films. I think Derann do a fine job of producing the FFTC magazine and should be commended for keeping it going when the response to requests for articles is so sparce, but perhaps it might be time to consider broadening the scope to include filmakng a little along the lines of the old 'Movie Maker Magazine' and get some of the filming newbies on board.

Ideas for articles;

Peoples home cinema set-ups.
Peoples film Collections
Peoples Projector and Accessory collections
Focus on certain cine makers, there must be loads of people who have the knowledge to come up with an article about a particular brand. Kev and the evolution and many faces of the GS 1200? Me and the Sankyo 500 - 700 - 800 range. When you look at other enthusiast magazines you can see how when these articles are well compiled and supported with glossy pictures and snippits from original advertisng material and test reports etc they make fascinating reading.
Reprints of 'Movie Maker' product reviews [who holds the copy write for these?] and then revisiting those products to see how they stood the test of time.
Then there would be a whole plethora of stuff about the modern world of filming on super 8 including the use of digital editing and work-printers etc. it just goes on and on........

So, how do we get started?

Mike [Wink]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 01, 2004 03:50 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i rekon FFTC is already the start we all need, its for us all to get into it, it took me all these years and anyone who was subscribed to ACE could perhaps find out fron those who placed ads in there to switch over to the FFTC. The two mags together in one is what we need in the super 8mm world and perhaps now the editors wont be struggleing to fill it, at the end of the day it has to be said that the main chaps in FFTC have always said its our mag and a lot of its input does have to come from all of us and get as many more people to subscrbe in order that we dont lose that one as well. [Eek!]
That would be a major lose if that happened, anyway, now the word is spreading lets hope we can all put our heads together and see what we can come up with, i know there are hoards of people who can help on techy bits, there are coventions to cover, top tens, many projectors to write about, individual stories,and of course its not just 8mm its ALL film gauges,8,9.5,16,35,70,
I wonder how more people do need to know about ACE finishing, and i was just about to subscribe to get my next batch of roller requests on my database. [Mad] Typical.

Chris Cottrill
Junior

- posted February 01, 2004 07:55 AM      Profile for Chris Cottrill   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Cottrill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two excellent magazines already out there tat should also be supported while they are still around:

They are:
International Movie Making (more geared toward the 8mm, 9.5mm,and Super-8 filmmaker but contains some collecting news and is an excellent source for ads)-- printed in Wales and published quarterly. Highly recommended and with lots of color pages.

Coming Attractions (geared 100% for the Super-8 and 16mm collector) and full of great articles and ads. Published three times a year in the U.S.

Information on how to subscribe to either of these is available on my website:
www.omniprints.com/super8

--------------------
Chris Cottrill
Super-8 filmmaking Backissues
at www.super8today.net

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC