8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New features on the way (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New features on the way
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 11:08 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got word "Ice Age" "Gladiator" "Lord of the Rings" "You only live twice" will be offered in a few months.
For an additional fee these may be available in 16mm as well.

Im jumping on Gladiator [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody cares about new features?

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly do but need more details. Who's producing them, when will they be available, what price, will they have a sound track, stereo or mono?

I would very much be in the market for a good quality print of one or more of the above titles at a reasonable price, particularly if it has a cracking sound track. I tread cautiously now though having had my fingers burnt by one or two new prints coming out of Germany that failed to deliver... [Frown]

Tell me more [Wink]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 01:36 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

What prints have not lived up to expectation? Was that picture or sound or both?

As you say, sounds like good news re new releases but more info needed

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 03:50 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not got round to buying a new feature mainly because of the expense, so mainly stick to second hand and have not been that disappointed apart from a Disney print with crap sound. [Mad]
I would be wary of paying £300-500 for a unknown entity, would have to be really sure I was getting good value for money.
Would love to support dealers who bring out these new features, but afraid it comes down to affordability in the end.
Chris [Frown]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 15, 2004 07:53 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gladiator, Lord of the Rings? Those both sound awesome. Scope stereo English I hope. And under $350 too...but probably not since both of those movies are loooooong!
Great news though. I would probably spring for Lord. Great movie.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 08:50 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are coming from Germany. OAR.

I hope stereo.
Ill be grabing something but I hope the US dollar gets a little stronger [Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 15, 2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to admit i mostley opt for 2nd hand soley because of price for me. If i went for new i'd rather trust the likes of Derann who's new releases are generally always tops and of course they do have the option of 6 months interest free which for low piad chaps is a must, i certainly would be worried if i paid £300 upward and had either grainy picture or sound quality of the old 70's-80's releases, but do have to say those titles are superb. [Smile]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 12:57 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, the problem I had was with the sound, the print was great. I bought a new print for £340 and opted to pay the extra £60 to have a stereo sound track put on it. When it arrived it was truely awful, lots of wow and drop out. Sooo... it went back to be re-recorded and when it came back it was just a little better than it had been. I showed it once for myself but didn't ever show it to anyone else because the sound was so poor, frankly it was embarrassing [Frown] .

The dealer allowed me a trade of films against the print to half its original value [£170] the £60 was lost for ever. The film later appeared on the dealers second hand list as an 'ex demo' and was bought by someone on this forum who returned it due to the poor sound quality.

I understand that part of the problem was with the quality of the stripe, I think it was that that caused the drop out.

I would definately be interested in new features and will stump up the funds to pay for them, but I need some sort of guarantee that it will be spot on otherwise the £300 + simply isn't worth it.

That said, the titles look great and I shall look forward to hearing more [Smile] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 03:33 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to new friends i have made on this brill forum, i have had the chance to see some of the new releases and older ones.
Making a comparison between say, Mines of Moria release and my newly acquired second hand 20 year old Walton release, Carry On Cleo, Guess which is the best print, the Walton print.
Also Gladiator was very good and the sound track, the predator print which is a much older release, in my opinion wins hands down on print quality. An optical print of Rising Damp i own, is a super print, and how old is that, and yet still holds it's own,
I am not trying to knock dealers new prints, i just not quite won over on quality getting better, i don't think it's always the case.
Maybe i need to see more films, and buy a new pair of glasses.

Chris.

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is despicable that a collector pays £400.00 for a brand new super 8 feature to be sold something that is not worth buying or owning. It is not acceptable to be fobbed up with a 50% trade in. I had a similar experience when buying a new feature and because I paid with credit card I insisted on a full refund. If you pay by credit card you are protected by law
the product has to be perfect and functioning.

He has sold you a product that is faulty. You would not accept an
faulty washing machine that leaked, or a television with no sound. You would not accept a 50% trade against other products in those circumstances.

Why accept it with Super 8!!!

I know some will be saying but if I do that I won't be able to buy any other titles from that dealer.

Well if he does not have enough grace to take back faulty goods is he really worth dealing with.

We are paying enough money for our films we are entitled to expect films we can be proud of can show to others and can enjoy!!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 04:10 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Sad though it is I find myself in agreement with Mr N.

No wonder it is dying out! You are too polite to name and shame but I can guess....

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony

I don't think it is fair on collectors to buy new films
and be fobbed off like that.

Okay, with second hand films you pay your money take your chance.
If you ask enough questions you may get told the truth.

You could say more but You Know.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 16, 2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i'm 100% behind on this, if i paid that much or even a tenner and the film has duff picture,sound, colour fade or any fault it will always go back.(unless the said fault was advertised with the film,ie,slight fade) i also think that we should not lose postage either, nor do not accept having to have a credit note because the dealer thinks the film is fit, i do have to say that our big dealer in the the w.midlands are absolute winners on customer service in this area, they have always been helpfull 100% whenever i have returned a print. but i do belive there are a few companies that advertise a film as A condition and when you get it the print is faulty.
All said and done we all sensibly dont expect to buy 2nd hand and recieve a brand new print but reading what some of you are saying, if i spent 300 quid upward i would NEVER accept a 50% refund or trade in that is not on, i would expect the goods to be correct or a full refund. lets have a name & shame page for dealers like this . [Big Grin] [Wink]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 16, 2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I also agree with you guys. If it's faulty then it goes back for a full refund or they get their details spilled here on the forums. So far I have been able to sort any problematic prints out with dealers but what does get me is the fact that you buy a second hand or new print. It arrives with a problem on reel 3 for instance but then the dealer has only checked reel 1!(in the case of s/h) so you argue a little over this point. The dealer takes the film back but does not have another copy so you get your money back LESS SHIPPING. Why? it's not my fault the print was crap so why did I have to pay the shipping cost both ways. If checked properly this would not occur to start with.
Another well known dealer does not like to refund your money but prefers (insists) on you haveing a credit note!!! [Mad]
What is it all coming to [Frown]
No wonder super 8mm according to the dealers is on a steady decline. [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 03:16 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
300 posts Kevin and still only a 'Master Film Handler'. Too bad.

Getting back to the original post regarding Gladiator and Lord of the Rings I too have heard Lord of the Rings is coming out full length. This will be a difficult one to produce good print quality on as the film is so dark so will certainly be interesting to see how good the German labs are now. If Spider-Man is anything to go by they could do very well indeed. Just a shame I don't care for the film.

Gladiator full length? This isn't being done in Britain so if this is true will be another German offering. Is this true or is it that a second extract is about to appear from Derann? Enough of us have been clamouring for the opening battle so is it that this sequence is about to be released?

Lord of the Rings is about 3 hours in length. That is going to be about £500. Possibly more. Gladiator is 2.5 hours so if it comes out full length we're looking at over £400. I'd probably stretch to Gladiator but I'd have to absolutely love Lord of the Rings to justify a purchase.

I just hope the people bringing these out know their market well enough and don't get their fingers burned.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:I just hope the people bringing these out know their market well enough and don't get their fingers burned.

I agree. I think we would all like to own both of these but the price will be steep limiting most of us to afford only one.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 17, 2004 12:20 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the company in Germany are able to do such modern releases on 8 why on earth are they not doing the buisness of advertising in somewhere like FFTC or other hobby mags, inc the net, and getting a customer database? Surely if someone has the money to invest in these releases they could become another Derann, this is what super 8 needs and as Kevin correctly states, we cant go on forever accepting prints which often have to be sent back and us losing cash in the bargin, much profit comes from the postage of our films, I do think if it wasn't for Derann 8mm would have died many moons ago,so as to these new features, why does the company not get cracking and build the buisness, while i cant afford too many expensive features i know there are people who can and will, besides, if they can produce the features how about some shorts, trailers and mini features, come on, who are you there in Germany and how come your getting such excellent titles but yet not be another official super 8mm dealer, not pirate copies are they?

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe all the material from Germany is bootlegged or pirated
without any copyright.

That would explain why the ones behind it dont want to announce who they are.

If they do have copyright I apologise unreservedly [Eek!]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a big problem with bootleged copies of DVD's and VHS tapes that are sold on the street corner, as they are hurting the sales of legitamate movies that cost alot of money to make. And the buyer is actually taking money from many people involved in the movie making process.

Super 8, however, is a different story. With the super 8 collector, in most cases, we already own a legitamate DVD or Video of the feature we buy and, in most cases, will end up purchasing one anyway (for sound re-recording, etc.) In most cases, we do not show our movies for profit, and actually promote movies that show well!

Sound hypocritical? Well, maybe just a little. I do prefer to purchase the super 8 release that was done with all the proper signatures, but in some cases it is not always possible.

Nick.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 17, 2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are bootlegged they are very good prints indeed. Lets face it they would be run from 35mm release prints not 16mm or the like. I have some of these German prints and they are really cracking in terms of quality.
Watched Empire strikes Back the other weekend (didnt we Chris Q) and although the soundtrack was nothing to write home about the picture quality was really very good and in scope too. Yes Bootlegged and it had the wear marks at the end of each reel to prove it but none the less brilliant transfer to super 8.
Yes I too would buy a copy of LOTR just like I have now got Spiderman and what a scorcher that is in scope on the old GS xenon [Cool]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Girard
Junior

- posted March 17, 2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Mark Girard   Email Mark Girard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Spider-man is on Super 8. I've really been away for a while. The big question is how do they market these prints if they indeed are bootlegged? I know I wouldn't want Lord of the Rings or Gladiator because not only would they be too expensive due to the length but I doubt I could get anyone to sit and watch those movies with me. Spider-man I know I could get people to watch with me and quite often too I imagine. This will probably have to be a Christmas gift for myself or something but I'd love to get this. How do I go about finding a print?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 01:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spider-Man in 'Scope Kevin? It's amazing what a difference a Xenon can make - it will even stretch an otherwise flat image.

Classic Home Cinema are the people for Spider-Man Mark. Currently £430 I believe. The exchange rate put the price up a bit from the original £399. Excellent print with good, albeit mono, sound. It runs in sync' with the DVD perfectly throughout giving nice Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

Classic Home Cinema, 51 Cambridge Street, Cleethorpes DN35 8HD
Tel: 44 (0)870 744 6798
http://valueservices.org/classichomecinema/ chcinema@aol.com

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Kevin, you are right. The quality of the German prints is really very good. I have seen "First Blood", "Jurassic Park" and "The Empire strikes back" and all prints were excellent. The only problem of these prints is the film stock. They use acetate film stock if you want the print with sound stripe. Polyester film stock is only available without sound stripe. They seem to have big problems striping polyester film stock (the stripe does not stick on polyester). At the moment there seem to be many problems with the liquid sound stripe of the big English super8mm company, too. I have just received 4 features from them and the sound stripe looks very uneven. I did not watch the prints completely but if you simply look upon the sound stripe it sometimes even disappears for a few inches and then reappears. If you hold the film againsdt light, you can notice the light shining through the sound stripe because it is that thin. Maybe we all must collect money for Derann to buy a new striping machine ;-)

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC