8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann Open Day Projectionist!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann Open Day Projectionist!
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2004 02:03 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to Derann's open day this Saturday (will all three LOTR trailers be "on-the-shelf" I wonder?) and it occured to me that I am really looking forward to the film shows themselves.

In the past, I have developed the habit of nipping into the cinema whenever there is something on that I want to buy, just to check out the quality.

However, I have to say that during the last few Midlands / Blackpool conventions, I have found myself sticking around for the rest of the show.

Step forward Mr. Rob Nicholls. I don't know this guy, except for his writings in the various U.K. publications, but I have to say that it is obvious that he is putting so much care into the choice and presentation of films at these events! (thanks also to the people supplying such a variety [Big Grin] )

As one clip ends and the next begins, I'm sure I'm not the only one who instinctively turns to the projector at the back of the room; a strange, in-bred impulse to prepare for a change of focus or a massive jump in volume. And there I glance this chap who I presume is Mr. Nicholls, calmly in charge of the GS1200 as the next perfectly timed clip hits the screen.

Anyway, after a few shows, I've grown out of the habit of "looking over my shoulder" and got on with enjoying the films; confident that Rob Nicholls is in charge, with a beautifully thought out running order and class presentation!
Hope he's in the booth on Saturday (er, no offence if he's not [Razz] !)

Do Derann give this guy enough Beer tokens I wonder [Wink] ? Rob, thanks for the last few shows and on with the rest...!

Any one agree [Confused] ?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2004 03:07 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob

I wish we had these shows here in the states.
How big will the screen be. Ive heard they use 20 foot screens for these shows and the picture quality holds up very well.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2004 02:06 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Derann cinema is excellent and worth a visit for anyone who can make it. I haven't been up for a while myself but will do again in the future. They convert the upstairs store room and have a nice big screen with masking and curtains at the far end. The projector has to be off centre which can be a bit problematic but the overall impression is very good. The screen isn't 20 feet but it's pretty big.

Rob Nichols is an enthusiast and that is why the shows at the Derann events have improved so drastically. He's a collector like the rest of us and fortunately has a massive collection which he dips into for our entertainment. What an all round good egg.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, the British Film Collectors Conventions here in Ealing, London surely boast the biggest 8mm images ever! I'm sure John could tell you exactly how wide the screen will be this year! Truly dangerous proportions!

Derann's presentations are generally more modest, but, as John points out, by no means small! Quality holds up pretty well, depending on the print of course and considering that, really, 8mil was never designed to be enlarged so much. Of course the finer grain film stocks during the 90's helped considerably, giving the more recent releases a truly theatrical quality on these big screens (and at home too!)

But, above all, these shows are great fun as well as letting you have a look at the quality of new stuff. A real shame you don't have similar conventions there.

Also, I think at the moment that it's great to be seeing so much and such a variety of new releases from our favourite 8mm dealers [Smile] !

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted April 17, 2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in college we ran a film festival with 8mm and 16mm blown up on a 40 foot screen. We were using a 500 watt Eiki xenon 16mm projector and various highly modified Super 8mm projectors over the years. The 8mm image always blew away the 16mm. My last variation of this used a Beaulieu 708EL Pro machine with a 2000 watt Christie lamphouse behind it and a whole lot of forced air cooling. The largest screen I have ever lit with Super 8mm was 65 feet wide.

It can be done.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The largest screen I have ever lit with Super 8mm was 65 feet wide
Thats incredible. I bet with the improvement of the newest transfers it would stand up even better. I think getting the light behind the aperture is the trick.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted April 18, 2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you want to accomplish that feat, you will HAVE to have the Beaulieu 708EL Pro machine. The Elmo models simply cannot handle it due to their plastic construction as well as the minor issue that you can't physically set a lamphouse behind the projector and get a straight shot into the aperture. Other requirements are a 2 bladed shutter, the Elmo f1.0 lens, a lens in the snoot to focus down to the small 8mm aperture, major forced air intake and exhaust to the projector (as well as exhausting from the lamphouse), and an external 8mm film transport system. The reason for the external film transport is because the film must come out of the front of the Beaulieu and be turned 90 degrees to the side where the film transport can feed and takeup the film independent of the projector. (The film on route to the takeup reel would pass in front of the lamphouse and the feed reel arm couldn't be used because the exhaust hoses were in the way.) We also used FilmGuard on the prints so they could handle the heat better, but even with all of the above, 18FPS was impossible. The film had to run 24FPS...but it worked well and caused no damage.

Put a system like that on a 20 foot screen and hand out the sunglasses. It'll knock your socks off.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad

You do appreciate you are going to have to hand out smelling salts to the Elmomania Sect .

You have spurned the love of their lifes [Wink]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2004 02:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did build an enormous one off screen at the top hat club about 10 years ago upon which the 'stereo/scope spectacular' was 34 feet across. Had an audience of about 400 that day.

The projector was the GS-1200 Xenon we still use.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC