8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 16mm forums (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 16mm forums
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 07, 2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,
There is already a "Bootlace Forum", run by Mark Sylvester.
I share some of the concern that others have expressed here, namely that the superb quality of this forum may be degraded by the infusion of a band of 16mm and 35mm loudmouth's from other Forum's. I trust that Brad will be as vigilant as he has been on the 8mm Forum, and kick anybody off who get's out of line.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Tom Mc Kenzie
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2004 09:37 AM      Profile for Tom Mc Kenzie   Email Tom Mc Kenzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Barry

If you change the name to Bootlace Forum anybody typing 8mm will never find this forum. The term bootlace is not known to many outside the film collecting world.

I personally would prefer this forum to stay the way it is in terms of its name and terms of interest.

A 16mm element has been tagged on by Brad. All I would ask is that threads to both gauges are kept separate by the Moderator
The joy of this forum is that it caters for only one interest.

I have seen 16mm forums on the internet and would have nothing to do with them as in my opinion they are total rubbish and in no way represent teh interests of 16mm collectors and dealers.

I would strongly worry that my letting in certain elements that this forum would suffer

Tom

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2004 10:27 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having said all that other 8mm forums are rubbish too so well done Brad for coming up with a format that has actually worked. And good luck in future with keeping the riff raff out.

Now what's Barry doing here? [Wink]

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 07, 2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A few answers.

*Yes, the forums will be kept strictly seperated. Just because the main index page offers both gauges to select from does not mean that 16mm posts will be permitted in the 8mm forums, and vice versa.

*No matter what, the address http://8mmforum.film-tech.com will remain. However there may end up being more than one way to get to it. For example http://16mmforum.film-tech.com may (if DNS is set up to do so) also point to the same master index page, etc.

*Yes, if people start getting out of line I will do whatever is needed to put a stop to it. I have been blown away at the quality of the members on this forum. For it to have ran for so long without any problems is just unheard of on an internet discussion forum, and I believe it can continue.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 07, 2004 11:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, "Bootlace" doesn't mean much for us, foreigners (or non-english members).
Something simple for the name would probably do the trick (ie - "8 & 16 mm Forum" or "Film Collector Forum" as Dan suggested).
I guess one can always hide an html tag containing key-words (8mm, Super 8, Elmo, Projector, etc.) in the header of the page in order to be spotted by Search engines (I can help with that, Brad).
Let's hope this fine, friendly place will remain the same. There's been some really nasty flame going on recently on another forum. [Frown]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Mc Kenzie
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Tom Mc Kenzie   Email Tom Mc Kenzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply Brad.

What you are proposing seems quite satisfactory both
elements will remain completely separate so the true identity
of this 8mm forum will remain unchanged.

Also, if I understand you correctly the 16mm forum if
successful it will have its own separate forum in time.

I leave it to you to remove any stray threads any police as necessary.

Thanking You for clarifying these matters.

Tom

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2004 03:53 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am delighted to hear the ardent desire of many forum members to keep this Forum pleasant.

My apologies to Michael Bliss, I did not intend to stongly sound off against larger format collectors. I also collect in 16mm. As a teacher in cinema, I commend Mr. Bliss for his appreciation in enjoying the whole film (all gauges) experience. Indeed, we are a group of unique hobbyists. [Smile]

But I have been dissapointed for a friend and for myself, that have found many 16mm collectors to be elitist and condescending. [Frown]

Perhaps this is due in part, to 16 mil collectors looking to sell their wares, after they have been torched by poor deals and wish to pass their losses along to others, regardless in taking a loss on their own. (Sorry, I did not wish to sound controversial or opinionated, I'm trying to figure it all out?). [Confused]

Also, my friend was ignored and he ultimately bowed out from being a member at his local Chapter of the Sons of the Desert, because he was viewed in being one dimensional as an 8mm collector. [Confused]

I have met those that believe that the light output from 8mm is inferior to 16.
Well to each their own.

Believe it or not, that Tent is running mostly video now? [Roll Eyes]

So go figure? And how many people would be willing to lug along a heavy projector and run the risk of an accident with the unit for members that are less than appreciative? Anyway, he brings his GS1200 to the great outdoors, during the summer months (with permission with the public parks in his area). People love watching film. A one reeler of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in a documentary along with the feature The Scarlett Claw, had people awstruck.

All formats can coexist, the baloney heads can go elsewhere. [Razz]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2004 04:46 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about "REEL FILMUSERS" ?

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2004 11:07 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree......16mm Forums tend to leave me ambivalent after only a few minutes. It's always the same topic..."Has anyone got a IB Tech print of such-and-such?".

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 11, 2004 11:51 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far the new format of categories on this site are working superb. The opening page is very impressive. The only one of it's kind I believe. Bravo dude! [Smile]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2004 12:38 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to collect 16mm as well as super 8,but,even though my house is quite large by UK standards,I havnt the room
I expect many on this forum has looked at the give away prices of 16mnm projectors and at least been tempted.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 11, 2004 01:23 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Robert, by room, do you mean the distance of throw from the projector to the screen or film storage?
As far as price, it's cheaper for me to ship an 8mm feature from the UK to the US than a 16mm feature. 16mm runs around 50 pounds ($95.00) and an 8mm around $22 pounds ($35.00). All the best Super 8s are in the UK. [Smile]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2004 04:05 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally respect what everyone has said here, but I have absolutely NO interests in any gauges other than standard 8mm or super 8mm film(and projectors), these are my loves, so i'm not happy to see the 8mm Forum "branching out" and becoming a 'hybrid'; which it now is.... Even the forum members who are into 16mm and 35mm have not really tried to inject those formats into this forum except out of necessity or reference. I truely hope that these additions don't dilute the quality of the "8mm Forum". My 2 cents worth....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Tom Mc Kenzie
Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2004 03:41 AM      Profile for Tom Mc Kenzie   Email Tom Mc Kenzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe

Have to fully agree with your comments. Dilution is not the answer for this forum. Its great success is that it is for collectors of 8mm

Tom

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2004 12:50 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan
My point about room for 16mm was both storage and the fact that this guage was intended for much larger venues than my little actic hobby room that I currently project in.A 16mm projector up there would be totaly overwhelming.
Freinds of mine have a large barn like extension at there house and ive done shows there to great effect with super 8 but id love to try 16mm out at there place.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC