8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » MGM Digests, so what is # 31? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MGM Digests, so what is # 31?
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2006 09:20 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys

As many of you will know, I have for some time been collecting the digests released by MGM. I've nearly got a complete set now [Big Grin] .

However, I still haven't established what # M31 was. Non of my catalogues make referene to it, but as the numbers all run consecutively, and there are numbers M32 M33 & M34, I'm thinking there must have been an M31. Does anyone know what it was?

Here's the rest of the list;

M1 Dr Zhivago
M2 Ivanhoe
M3 Shaft
M4 Quo Vadis
M5 The Wizard of Oz
M6 An American in Paris
M7 Logans Run
M8 The Dirty Dozen
M9 Easter Parade
M10 Mutiny on the Bounty
M11 How the West was Won
M12 King Solomons Mines
M13 International Velvet
M14 Coma
M15 Singin' in the Rain Pt1
M16 Singin' in the Rain Pt2
M17 Show Boat
M18 Mogambo
M19 A Night at The Opera Pt1
M20 A night at the Opera Pt2
M21 Anchors Aweigh
M22 Gigi
M23 North by North west
M24 Ben Hur
M25 Where Eagles Dare
M26 The Champ
M27 West World
M28 Ice Station Zebra
M29 High Society 2 x parts
M30 Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 2 x parts
M31 ?
M32 Northwest Passage
M33 Guns for San Sebastien
M34 Fame 2x parts

The following appeared to be available as 3 x 400 ft only;

M35 The Formula
M36 Clash of the Titans
M37 ?
M38 ?
M39 Cincinatti Kid

I'm also aware that the following were available as 3 x 400fters;

M1 Dr Zhivago
M4 Quo Vadis
M6 An American in Paris
M8 The Dirty Dozen
M10 Mutiny on the Bounty
M24 Ben Hur
M25 Where Eagles Dare
M27 West World
M28 Ice Station Zebra
M33 Guns for St Sebastien

The Time Machine
Viva Las Vegas

Were there any others?

Thanks

Mike [Smile]

[ September 26, 2006, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Mike Peckham ]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2006 09:49 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You can add "The Time Machine" & "Viva Las Vegas" & "The Cincinatti Kid" to the 3x400' section, these 3 were Ken's last foray into the edited field. You've also forgotten "Ben-Hur" 3x400' & "Westworld" 3x400' too, perhaps this is M31 ("Westworld"), as I believe they released a 400' to this film too.

Barry.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2006 10:33 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry

Thanks, West World is M27 so that doesn't solve the problem of the mysterious M31 [Smile] .

I'd forgotten about the 3 x 400ft of West World, I already have that one in my collection along with The Formula, which I also forgot to list. I'll pop back and edit them in now.

Were the "Time Machine", "Viva Las Vegas" and "The Cincinatti Kid" released in the same MGM livery with clam shell cases?

Mike

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 24, 2006 08:06 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Still looking for #31, but to help complete the list, "The Formula" is M35 and "Clash Of The Titans" is M36.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2006 09:38 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quo Vadis? 3x400 [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2006 02:49 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

The last 3 releases were in clamshell boxes, but there was no proper artwork for the U.K. for these titles, and only the title was present on each box plus what part it was.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 25, 2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

Cincinnati Kid is M39.

It does not have artworks cover but plain paper, unless you clik on this URL you will see the only one cover was ever made for it [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2006 08:54 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike and other MGM collectors,

Sorry I can't help with M31, but want to know the answer too. Perhaps it was reserved for a title that was not released?

I have noticed that some of my clamshell MGM's have started to be effected by Vinegar Syndrome. I belive this is due to the air-tight seal of the clamshell. It is only a slight whiff at this stage, but there is no doubt it is there.

Have you noticed this with yours?

The only other Super 8/Std 8 with VS that I have are a few I had stored in air-tight cans. All my film is now stored so it can breath.

David

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Guns For San Sebastien" is M33, by the way. If my memory serves me there was a 400' of "On The Town", I wonder if this is the elusive M31.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the Rose by any chance [Big Grin]

Must be a few hundred copies of M31 at the bottom of Grandpa's shed. Ian, can you shed any light on this?

--------------------
Tony

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2006 01:16 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Life is far too short.

[ August 08, 2008, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas

Thanks for that, it almost makes sense but not quite as my copies of Seven Brides are marked on the spine;

M30 - 1
M30 - 2

Maybe the intention was that they should be M30 & M31 but that's not how it turned out? Maybe we wil never know...

David

I haven't noticed the dreaded vinegar syndrome on any of my MGMs but now you've mentioned it, I'll go have a sniff.

Winbert

Great Cover design! [Smile]

Thanks everyone else for the additional titles, I'll edit them into the list.

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2006 01:57 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have noticed that some of my clamshell MGM's have started to be effected by Vinegar Syndrome. I belive this is due to the air-tight seal of the clamshell. It is only a slight whiff at this stage, but there is no doubt it is there.

Have you noticed this with yours?

I sniffed my MGM's yesterday (clam shell) and I think some smell like vinegar. Some have a more chemical smell, not completely vinegar I’m not sure what. All films stored in cardboard boxes just smelled like old newspapers to me.

Does this mean that I've caught it in time you think?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 30, 2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

-

This sheet was included in one of my MGM catalogs. M31 is noticeably missing. Also noticeable is the misspelling of "separately".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Life is far too short.

[ August 08, 2008, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2006 11:05 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, Winbert,

UFA in Germany imported MGM's three-parter of "Cincinnati Kid", and they designed really nice covers. Follow this link: http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent217.htm

Doug,

...and also noticeable is the misspelling of "available"...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 08, 2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Eberhard,

I have found that. But IMO the great thing with the MGM covers are they mostly painted (not photo shots as most Germany versions). That's why I am not too interested with "Formula"...which was also presented with photo shots for USA version.

Any idea which other MGM USA versions were presented with photos?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My "A Night At The Opera" (both parts) and some of U-8 releases have that "vinegary" smell to them. Does this mean they won't project properly if I run them?

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2006 08:36 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, keep them away from your other film and let them breathe. They will still project OK if you stop the process. You can buy molecular seives to absorb the smell. Once the process starts, it feeds on itself. If you stop it early enough before the film shinks or buckles it can last for years.

David

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 09, 2006 03:39 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they have started best thing you can do is pop them in the bin and buy another affordable copy.
Best mark.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 29, 2007 04:10 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can any of you (Mike?) tell me if "King Solomon's Mines" and "How the West Was Won" were available as three-parters? Thanks.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 29, 2007 04:58 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JM,

I don't think so . I never seen one.

--------------------
Winbert

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2007 05:33 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Kempski touted a possible 2x600' release in scope of "How the West was Won" but I never did see a print (They also touted F/L "You Only Live Twice", again I never heard of a print).

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 29, 2007 06:32 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, my expert friends. [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 11, 2008 04:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the distict impression that M31 was supposed to be part 2 of (what was it? Brides of Seven Brothers?), but they failed to list it as 31.

I could be wrong of course.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC