8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackhawk Continued .....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackhawk Continued .....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 30, 2006 02:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recieved more films for my collection, and I recieved a duplicate copy of "Two Tars" (Laurel and Hardy).
What I found interesting, is that this brand new copy of Two Tars, has the original title cards, as well as the original beginning cards to the short (which were exquisite), while my standard 8mm copy of it, has the Blackhawk redo of the title cards. This new copy also has a better contrast to the print, while the standard 8mm print has a slight washout.

The question is: at some point, did Blackhawk get ahold of better copies of some of thier titles, and from what sources?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2006 10:58 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was the wonderful thing about Blackhawk Films. As soon as they had access to better source material they updated their releases.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2006 07:22 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also found that Blachawks improved over the years, often without any announcement in the catalogs either.

I am still after some hard to come by Blackhawk films for my collection after all these years.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 03, 2007 10:29 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now the saga of blackhawk is continued with my question:

1. Have they ever released films on artworks generic cover (like Ken Films)?

2. Have they ever released films in colour? any reason?

3. I found the following generic boxes:

a. The pink (Laurel & Hardy)

-

b. The yellow (Charlie Chaplin)

-

c. The white box

-

d. The Red, green, grey, blue squares (Hal Roaches)

-

e. The green

-

f. The green & Black

-

g. The prevue

-

h. Anyone can add more generic box?

4. Can someone tell me the periodic of their releases (or they just randomly used it?)

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 03, 2007 10:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I can't give you a photo of it, but Blackhawk, in thier later years of film production, released films in a silver box with "From the Blackhawk Collection (with a T.M. on it) They are quite handsome.

By the way, just for info's sake. This particular print (in the silver box) is "The Littlest Angel" and it is printed on Eastman LPP stock!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2007 07:47 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of the Ub Iwerks cinecolor or "comicolor" cartoons from Blackhawk....they have held their lovely colors quite qell. Jack Frost and the Headless Horseman.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 04, 2007 09:02 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the box subject for which I'm noted; The flesh-colored (with many Blackhawk indian logos all astrewn), the blue/orange 'Keystone', the olive-green L&H, the slightly-pink, a bit red issue, again with the Blackhawk indian logos all over - I have the earliest boxes from 1952 which were photo-style of L&H, and that was 2X200' versions, the Chaplin face was drawn on the 200' boxes, which were red - From the 60's, one received the generic box on most shorts, more often than not you would receive the L&H pink but until about 1975 when it was mostly olive-green, and the pre-print materials were all from Roach including some of those glorious opening titles as far as we could see them, legalities notwithstanding - David, I also need a handful more Blackhawks (26 in all) to call it a collection - Started with Blackhawk and Castle about 1962

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC