8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SOUNDTRACK RE-RECORDING

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOUNDTRACK RE-RECORDING
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 06:04 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone answer these!Just bought a sync unit to re-record the sound on a couple of films using my GS1200.Try as i might i couldn't get the sound to sync up constantly,it kept drifting off.The unit is meant to sync at 25fps so what am i doing wrong?Secondly i thought about the film i attempted to do and having two copies i thought that if i messed the soundtrack up i would run the films on two projectors and record the sound from one to the other,again they did not run in sync.One machine was a GS1200 and the other is a Sankyo 501 both running at 24fps,but they kept going out of sync.I also have two ST1200 machines to try it on ,being identicle machines i may have more luck any ideas thanks Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 16, 2007 06:18 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, what sound source are you using? The pulse sync unit will perfectly work at 25fps with PAL region 2 DVD only (or PAL video tapes).
Did you check the little ESS meter at the back of the machine? The hand needs to be perfectly centered between the red and blue bars. It can be adjusted with the knob, just below the meter. Is the ESS switch in the correct position? (far right)

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,I will check the DVD but i'm sure it is region 2 pal.The ESS switch was to the far right and again i will have another go to check the ESS meter to see the if the hand is central.I'm new to the re-recording using the GS1200(or any other projector)so i guess it is a bit of trial and error,maybe not as easy as i thought!Thanks for your reply Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 17, 2007 03:40 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the title of the film? This is the sort of problem I have had when an NTSC original has been digitally converted to PAL. Are you using a DVD Player or player software on a PC.

I use the DVD player/software in my Mac but I have found that different software players can have an effect on how well the sync works.

More details please [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2007 10:24 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,the film is Elvis Aloha from Hawaii 1973 concert,I was just using a DVD player because i'm not that good with computers.If there is a piece of software that is easy to use then i would give it a go.You know what it's like when you've waited for your new toy and you are a bit disapointed when it doesn't work as well as expected(or is that another topic)

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 17, 2007 05:11 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
If your PC has a DVD rom dirve then it will probably have software to play DVD's. If it has then just put the disc in your PC and play it along with your film on the projector to see if it stays in sync. If it doesn't then its probably the disc if however it does then it could be your stand alone player is slightly of running speed.
Before anyone asks.....yes that can happen but it would be very slight as not to notice when watching films etc under normal conditions.

If you have a DVD rom drive in your PC with no software to play DVDs then check out the free player from Videolan (VLC). This is available for Mac, Windows and Linux.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2007 03:51 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD for the Aloha From Hawaii could not have bee region 2 because I have just ran Singing In The Rain and used the snyc unit with the Dvd and it was spot on perfect sync.Now i know what to look for I'm just wondering which film to do next!Thanks for your help with this post.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 21, 2007 05:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it was a region 1 or a region 1, NTSC converted to region 2 Pal. This has happened to me before.

Kev.

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2007 12:54 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just re-recorded the Goldeneye extract and this now sounds superb,also Superman 2 which i accidently erased some of the sound using my Lux 80 stereo machine(which is easily done)so that is back to full sound.Also noticed that on a couple of other films the original sound can be heard after trying to record on,I have tried to completely erase the sound using the GS1200 but it can still be heard sometimes quite loudly.a)is there a problem with the machine b)what is the best way to erase a soundtrack completely thanks Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC