8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » www.homemovieday.com - it's for reel!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: www.homemovieday.com - it's for reel!!!
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While reading the local newspaper this morning, I came across an interesting short article. Apparently something I never knew, August 11th is HOME MOVIE DAY around the world. This is true reel to reel home movie viewing on all formats. As far as I can tell, nothing is screened from a video source although I could be wrong. The website looks like fun.....now if they only knew that OUR FORUM was online........

http://www.homemovieday.com/

~~~ Chip ~~~

|  IP: Logged

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2007 10:37 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2007 03:02 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Same here especially on Cape Cod where I live. Gas prices at an all time high just intime for the tourists. But that's different.

Today was a magical day. First the weather, cold damp and rainy. Not good for August 10 on Cape Cod. It should be 82 degrees and sunny, even when most of the rest of the country is boiling.

So the weather draws me to the booth to do my yearly projector maintenence. Check the gears, belts, clean the sound heads, film gates, and check the picture and optical lamps on my st1200hd's. Pleaseed to report everything is good. Then I run a test film through both projectors no problems. I decide to run one reel of a feature because that's all that time allows. So I pick reel 2 from James Cameron's Titanic. Nothing like seeing Kate Winslet pose topless for Leonardo. All is good.

Then I realize why am I so happy before work? Because thanks to home movie day dot com, that was possibly just the spark I needed to get me in the booth and enjoy my stuff on an otherwise ugly day to be out bike riding or taking pictures.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~ Chip ~~~

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2007 11:01 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all.

I received this letter from Germain Fodor, as it suggests they are two people who run the event.....

I have copied and pasted mail below as follows:

Begin Mail:

Hi Chip--

I was excited to read your post about Home Movie Day! My boyfriend and I and 2 of our film-prof friends organize HMD-Raleigh, NC. And yes!- it's totally an international event now - started in 2002 by 2 folks from the Association of Moving Image Archivists (read: Cataloging Geeks).

Which article did you read?...You're in CT?
I have a friend Molly Wheeler who runs HMD in New Haven...
anyway, I'm kicking myself because I thought of posting an announcement to this newsgroup about Home Movie Day last week, but then I thought- naw, that crowd is more into commercial-film collecting. Well, now I know! - and so next year I will definitely plug this!
It really is a fun event...it enables lots of people to finally watch all their home-shot reels which have been stored away for years and years.
And really, looking at other people's home-movies is way more interesting than you'd think!

Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned this - it'll at least get people thinking about it for next year!

Cheers,

-Germaine
(www.avgeeks.com)

End Mail

Stephen Kent Jusick
Junior

- posted August 14, 2007 03:28 AM      Profile for Stephen Kent Jusick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
This was the 5th year of Home Movie Day. I attended the event at Anthology Film Archives in New York City, and it was great. The Maya Deren Theater was packed (people standing and sitting on floor). Films were shown on 16mm, S8, R8 and possibly 35mm. We also screened some Polavision (instant developing S8 from Polaroid) films from Hawaii and elsewhere. The event ran from 1-6 PM, and I got there after 3 PM, in the middle of some films from 1973, shot by a school teacher in NJ, whose class made a rather long color, silent film about the 9 planets. It was great, and the crowd loved it! A hard act to follow for the more standard home movies afterwards, although those were well received too! Pretty good were some 16mm home movies from the late 40s/early 500s of guy's grandparents in Massachusetts. The wife was actually very playful and happily vamped for the camera while shoveling snow and at the beach. There was a segment where they played charades at a dinner party.

Jeanne Liotta showed a B&W hunting film from the 1920s, which I found too long but it got good at the end.

Chad Hunter from Witness was there, as was (I think) Katie Trainor from IFC and Andy Lampert from Anthology was the main projectionist. Also seen: Steve Polta from the SF Cinematheque.

Chad handed out cartridges of Ektachrome 64 to eager hands, and a Eumig projector was given out as a trivia prize.

All in all a a great time, I wish I had arrived sooner.
There was talk about 9.5 films next year (Anthology doesn't have a working projector...)

So while August might not be good for those in Europe, one can always find a bad time for an event, and the world is too crowded. Here in NY choosing one thing to do always means missing something else interesting!

In 2005 there was Global Super8 Day, that took place in early May, but it seems not to have continued.... Home Movie Day is carried out by archivists, so it seems assured to continue.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC