8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I Hate my GS1200 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I Hate my GS1200
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2007 03:45 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Here is a consideration, and I believe
that they are located in California.

super8stuff(at sign)netzero(dot)net

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 28, 2007 04:58 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi kev, did you see my post, I think your spam filters are holding my mails again.
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 28, 2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I'll check that out. K.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 28, 2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev, I need " The Knowledge "
Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 28, 2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I'm not having a single problem with my EUMIG 926.

hee hee hee.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2007 12:38 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now Osi, don't gloat - you are tempting fate here ! You are in danger of "Murphys' Law" - "When it mustn't go wrong - it will !!" [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2007 01:50 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Don't gloat indeed. This no time for levity.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 29, 2007 06:06 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" Whats Levity"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 29, 2007 08:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham.
Thank goodness someone is using pictures to try and help this guy. Images do say so much more than words don’t ya think chaps, and we are in the pictures game.

Sometimes Brian its better the devil you know. I would stick to the GS and try to get fixed chum or investigate yourself.
Best wishes.

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2007 09:19 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree with Kevin.
We have never replaced whole circuit-boards.
There is really no need to replace circuit-boards!
Most GS1200 are affected with the popping sound problem.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 29, 2007 09:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to read mails about projector faults but moreover nice folk experiencing them. Let’s hope someone near Brian can lend him a hand. The internet brings us all nearer but we still struggle when it comes to hands on.

Brian. If you do go the “change a board” route I have a friend that is breaking a GS1200 and will ask him if I can forward his email to you which may help a little. BUT, you may not need to change an entire board.

Not sure what this popping noise is our Josef is eluding to but I don’t think my MK3 does it.

Take care now.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Best wishes for a successful solution to the GS.
Although that I have not encountered this issue,
I would not replace the board at this time without
the fine troubleshooting advice by our Forum members.
My GS will sometimes make a pop noise when the power
switch is turned on, but as stated, there are additional
issues with your projector.
Please do not give up the ship.

Mark,
You had asked "What's Levity?"
As Ollie said in the film Beau Hunks...

Ollie:...Levity is a synonomon. You know what a synonomon is, synonomon is like cinamon.

(There is a knock on the door)
Stan replies: someone's knocking on the phone [Confused]

Ollie replies:That's Levity!

Stan says: Hello Mr. Levity? [Confused]

Ollie replies: Open the door!, "Hello Mr. Levity, Hm, Hm, Hmm" [Mad]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 30, 2007 01:39 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think replacing the board may be a bit extreme. Its like when some computer part fails...say the DC board. Yes you could just replace the DC board but Dell will just say, "Replace the Logic Board". With Leon he could be there for days looking for the problem and trying to anticipate what could go next. So the easiest solution would be to replace the board. But not necessarily the BEST solution.
If everyone here remembers I had a problem with the take up of the GS not really having enough torque. It was suggested that I replace the entire voltage regulator board. This was $69 plus installation and shipping so it looked to be around $125 or more. I decided to take off the board and voila! It turned out to be one transistor on the board.
If all else fails you can try Duall Camera in NYC. They worked on one of my GS Xenon's that had a problem with the second channel so it was a mono machine basically. It was suggested to replace the entire audio board as everything that could visibly be replaced was and still no go. Finally I took it to Duall and they found the problem in one day. It was a broken solder connection. But they charged me $400 +.
Lets keep these babies running!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 30, 2007 04:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said earlier these sort of problems on the sound are either down to dirty record switches, Interference problems or failing Sound output IC. All can be sorted without board replacement.

On the std GS Elmo used a straight forward capacitor to filter mains borne interfernce. You can see this strapped across the mains transformer. In the later Xenon machine they used a small suppressor which contains 2 capacitors and a resistor. The unit is again soldered across the transformer but a third (centre) terminal is grounded.
I tried one of these on a std GS which was really bad at picking up interference from light switches and a fridge and it completely cured the problem.

Maybe this tip will be useful for others with perhaps interference problems. At the moment the RS components website is down so I cant give a link to the item I'm talking of. I will when it's back up again.

I hope you manage to get it sorted this time Brian.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 30, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael yes I was quoting Stan, great scene. I think he also says that great line " somebody knocking on the phone" is that right, have`nt seen it for a while and only got it on dvd I`m afraid,
Best Mark.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 30, 2007 03:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev
Your mod with the two capacitors and resistor is a good idea, this would take care of the annoying interference that many of us have with the GS1200. looking forward to hearing what parts are required.

I was reading an old "Movie Maker", and came across an article of a GS1200 owner who had sound problems, it was interesting to read that by accident he had connected the projector to 4ohm speakers with the result of a bad hum on the balance track, the reply from "Movie Maker" 1984 was as follows,

You may have blown the output integrated circuit especially if you had played the sound at a high level, many transistor amplifiers will take 4ohm loads, and some are protected electronically against overload, but the GS1200 is not one of these. The damage has been caused by to high a current flowing through the output transistor in the i.c. when connected to a low impedance load. This extra current causes heating of the transistor and usually this permits the transistor to pass extra current, heating it further until it fails.

"Movie Maker" recomended the projector to be returned to Borehamwood for repair.

Its interesting to read such articles and it highlights the danger of connecting the GS1200 to speakers with an impedance of under 8ohms.

Regards Graham.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 31, 2007 05:53 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
This will be the case with a lot of projectors. What some people don't take into account when especially using mono projecters is that if they connect 2 speakers to the output (to put on both sides of their screen)they will half the impedance so a pair of 8ohm speakers will present an impedance of only 4ohm at the output of the projector and cause exactly the problem that Movie Maker wrote about.
Its far better to connect the speakers in series and let the amp see 16ohm. This will give a slightly lower sound level but much safer for the amp.

When you use the Elmo speakers they are rated at 16ohm imp each so that the amp if stereo such as the GS 800 or 1200 sees 16ohm on each output but if used in mono will give 8ohm. Much safer way of doing things.

Kev.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 31, 2007 06:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main circuit board (computer) has just packed up in our washing machine. The expert engineer advised us to buy a new washer as in the long term it would be a better bet. What a shame we can’t waltz out and buy a new GS1200 with modern refinements. These washing machine computers are built non serviceable so it’s a buy a new computer or new washer. Is this environmental friendly I ask myself?

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick update: Leon has my GS and called last night. He says the three minor problems (micro-switches, lamp casing, scratching) can all be easily fixed but the sound board will take him a couple of days to figure out. He says the board the looks worn and the popping sound is really bad. He's scaring me a bit telling me the projector may just be better off as parts for another GS. He has to take the sound board apart piece by piece until he can pinpoint what's blown or causing the popping. So I've still got my fingers crossed... and yes, wouldn't it be nice to be able to just go out and buy another Elmo at the local camera shop?! Those were the days. Meantime, Happy New Year everyone...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 31, 2007 01:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, Suggest he looks at the legs on the STK output IC. I have seen this problem many times. The legs work loose in the IC's casing. This could save him a lot of time especially if its not making the noises via the Aux out sockets.

I have plenty of these IC's if he needs one.

Kev.

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev - I will give him your suggestion. I think the popping was coming through on the aux outs, though not as bad as the internal speaker. Anything's worth a shot at this point.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 31, 2007 03:31 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
In which case it could just be dirty record switches. Sometimes they can be very stubborn.

Kev.

--------------------

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.Kevin are these STK439 ic avaiable in the U.K. (i.e Radio Shack)and at what price.Thank you Alex

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 02, 2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
No they are not available at normal outlets. I tracked the ones down I have by using the internet and looking amongst the main electronic distributors such as Donberg in Ireland. If I found a distributor with a couple left then I bought his remaining stock. I suppose I have about a dozen of them at present including the STK443 for the GS Xenon.

http://www.donberg.ie/

Kev.

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick update on my GS1200 drama. Heard from Leon last night and he says he had to order transistors and didn't know how long it would take. I couldn't ask questions since it was a phone message and I haven't been able to get a hold of him... Sooo I still don't really know how serious things are. Does transistors sound like a possible solution for all the sound problems I'm having? I still have my fingers crossed...I'm starting to miss my old GS though and it sounds like it's not coming back to me for a while. [Frown]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC