8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Chinon Has Landed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Chinon Has Landed
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 26, 2008 02:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friendly Forum members had varied responses when I announced my possible acquisition of a Chinon Sound 7500. I went ahead and now have put it through its paces.

There are many more desirable projectors than a Chinon. I suppose Elmo comes out on top. I have Elmos, Sankyos, Bell & Howells, Yelcos, an Agfa and a Bauer. Of all these the Elmos have been the most troublesome on purchase, usually due to loss of loops, reluctance to pass some joins and problem auto-thread. An ST1200HD needed servicing, and recent purchases of two GS-1200s will need professional attention due to their bad handling of film, and in one case. a Rice Krispie amplifier, i.e., snap crackle and pop.

It was therefore a joy to take the thirty-year old Chinon out of its original box and to watch it perform faultlessly. A rock steady picture, plenty of light (150w), and plenty of sound. The box still had all the internal packing which even extended to the lining of the 600' take-up spool. In the little cut-outs were the mic, earpiece, cutter, gate brush and even two packets of Silica Gel!

The most interesting item was the original receipt from Dixons dated 17th June 1978 for £189.95.

It features a push button speed selector with a small rotary control to vary the selected speed. The gate is all metal except for the plastic (relieved) front pressure plate. The gate's side contact is not sprung loaded. The projector has three unusual features. The side cover has a series of holes covered in green plastic which allows, via light spill from the lamp, a subdued green glow over all the lower operating panel. The large rotary control knob is white plastic with a lamp inside, this goes out when the projector is in operational mode.

The third item is the blower. In all the other projectors that I own (and that's 52) the fan always blows air over the lamp, however, the Chinon sucks in air over the lamp and then blows the warm air out near the side speaker.

The projector looks brand new, and smells brand new. It's obviously had very little use. And, I'm very pleased with it.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 26, 2008 03:19 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great Maurice, and thats the one to buy,
But How Many !!!!!!!! Now??????
Best Mark.
PS how much was it " if its not a personal question" ( name thats film).

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC