8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Worst Film Ripoff? Any Gauge!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worst Film Ripoff? Any Gauge!
Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2008 02:31 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My worst transaction was not a Super Eight feature print but a 16mm print. A print of "The Towering Inferno" It was not complete. It was missing 45 minutes. One entire 1,600 foot reel. Talk about a continuity problem. I called the seller up and he said he did not notice. That is one major jump splice. It practically went from a blazing inferno to a quick "well the fire is now out" [Frown]
--TP

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said it just a few days ago, but on two buys one month and a half between each other, I lost 300.00 with nothing to show for it(A Star Wars scope print) from a British fellow, and then 150.00 with nothing to show for it (Helpmates and Pack up Your Troubles, and Creature Lagoon 3D) to an australian fellow.

Hmmm, at the time it made me think i should go to non English speaking countries.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 16, 2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least you didnt get bored with the whole film [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2008 05:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which film? Must be "Creature" your talking about, as I never could get bored with Stan and Ollie!

These days, I'm pretty much over that, but I don't like to dwell on it. It's probably good that I don't have money to travel overseas. If I was to meet up with those two blokes, I'd probably pound the livin **** out of them. I was ripped off.

Simmer down OSI, simmer down.

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2008 08:36 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about anyone who bought THE DEEP extract from Columbia when it first came out. What a waste! (Except the brief scene with Jacqueline Bisset in her wet T-shirt!)

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 06:03 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Deep? Did you have a bad print Tony?

I remember that digest having a fair amount of action & a little gore. Not the best, but not the worst.

For me, the worst was "Dressed to Kill" 400 foot digest. Worst editing and VERY grainy. Plus, that particular film would not run smoothly through my projector for some reason. And it was brand new.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 26, 2008 10:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know Tom,

I never thought about it before, but something that couldn't have occured to me back when I was ripped off the Star Wars film, now occurs to me.

Two of the films I bought from him I won from him off of ebay, and THOSE arrived just fine.

HE SAID that he couldn't mail the STAR WARS scope feature and the ebay one films together because the wieght would be too much, (the Star Wars film I bought from him directly, not off of ebay), and so he had to mail that off (Star Wars) seperately.

That was back when I was first buying off of ebay and private sellers, and I didn't know a thing about UK post. Having bought a number of things off of the UK post, I know that one 4X600ft feature, one 400ft reel and one 200ft reel can easily be shipped altogether. A little more perhaps in postage, (less back then four years ago), but they COULD have shipped altogether.

So, while I just thought the guy might have been screwing me, (but in the back of my mind thinking that perhaps he sent STAR WARS to me, but it got lost), NOW i know that he was screwing me!

The black hearted british fella still probably has it!

(this is no reflection on all the other genuinely honest and decent British lads!)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC