8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector advice for beginner / Elmo SP Hi-Deluxe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector advice for beginner / Elmo SP Hi-Deluxe
Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 09, 2008 07:41 AM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!

I'm just starting to get into 8mm so need a little advice...

I've been offered an Elmo SP Hi-Deluxe projector but as I'm new to 8mm I'm not sure if it is broken, and I have no film to test it with! (getting my camera soon!)

When I fire it up there is very little light coming from the lamp - does this only happen when there is film running through it?? I have the projector on the highest lamp setting.

Is it worth taking a plunge and buying it - as a judging from some of your posts on here, it's not a bad little projector.

Any thoughts / advice much appreciated!!

Best regards,

Ian

|  IP: Logged

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2008 08:14 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum. If i remember correct, that machine has got the 1.1 lens that you can use in other ELMO projectors. Nifty. If you get a Elmo GS 800 or better a GS1200 later on you may have a brighter lens there in that De-Luxe for a possible GS800/1200 buy. (It's wise to plan ahed you know ;-)

I think you need to run film through the projector for it to light up. I seem to remember that i won't light up without it. Had a GP once)

It also has a sync option (wich is very rare, but you most likely will never use) and you can sync to 24 fps, dead on. Its a cool projector. My GP was quite noizy though. But bright!.

I say go for it if you are thinking of getting an ELMO GS/ST later and it has the 1.1 lens and it is not to expensive.

Hell, just go for it -Film rules!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2008 08:53 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum!

Every thing Knut says about this great little projector is spot on. I have one, though I haven't used it for some time, but I do remember that it has a microswitch that is operated when the film reaches the take up spool and until the microswitch is operated, the lamp remains off. I think...

Let us know how you get on.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 09, 2008 09:15 AM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thanks for the replies Kurt and Mike,

Some speedy and knowledgeable advice!

Well it looks like I'll go for it then [Embarrassed] )

I'll buy it tonight then let you know how I got on.

Fingers crossed hehehe

Ian

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2008 09:18 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,

That is a nice little projector indeed. Mike hasn't used his in a while, mostly because it has done lenghty service her in Brighton... I've used it a lot for watching silent films (both R8 and S8; it can do both). The nice things about it are the superb lens; the 150Watt halogen bulb; and the fact that you can vary the speed from 16fps to 25fps (which is great for silent films, because the projection speed hadn't been standardized yet).

If you want to test the projector with some film, let me know, I've got some stuff you can play with (and I'm local).

I saw you posted another message about music promo's. Be aware that this projector can't do sound-on-film.

Cheers,

- Rob

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 09, 2008 09:45 AM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rrrrrr no sound??!

That's a shame.

Hmmmmm. Any new 8mmm I shoot myself won't have sound on anyway, so the projector would be excellent for this. But it would have been nice to watch other sound films/music videos etc...

Perhaps I should get a sound projector too??

Oh dear!! This is where it starts I reckon! I'll have collected about 10 projectors in 6 months time you watch!

[Big Grin]

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 09, 2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...

...I bought it! heheheehee

I managed to get an old standard 8mm film to test it with but now I don't know how to load it!

Ho-hum!

Let the fun begin! [Big Grin]

I'll try to find a manual online but I'll see if I can work it out!

Thanks again for all the replies,

Ian

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2008 01:11 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian

Well done for buying the projector - I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

I don't have a scan of the instruction manual, but I do have the test report for the SP Hi Deluxe scanned from Movie Maker Magazine. If you like I could email it to you.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 09, 2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

That would be fab! Thanks!

Anything to help is a bonus.

My email address is: ian dot mackie at email.com

I'm sure it'll all come good in the end!

Ian

[ September 09, 2008, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 09, 2008 06:12 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,

See your new to the forum and great to have you aboard. I have edited your email address above so that any email address scanning software doesn't pick it up.

There is scanning software about which can be used on open forums for getting email addresses for spam etc.

The format I used will still allow people to work out your email address to contact you. Try and use that format in future to help keep you mail box free of unwanted mail.

In the meantime enjoy [Smile]

I too have one of these silent machines and great little machine they are too but a little on the noisy side. You will soon suss it out I'm sure.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2008 01:43 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I still have the manual at home. I'll check after work.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2008 07:45 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I scanned the Instruction Manual and sent it to Brad to include in the Manual section (Manual Warehouse at Filmtech)

- Rob

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 10, 2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

Well everything is peachy - the projector works great!

Rob Koeling very kindly let me borrow a rell to test out the projector and also scanned me in a manual. Thanks Rob!

So all is good!

The image is very good, but I have noticed there is some small hairline-like looking cracks on the inner edge of the projection, but I guess that's another thread altogether! [Embarrassed] )

Thanks everyone for the advice and help, much appreciated.

Best regards,

Ian

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'cracks' are almost certainly just bits of dust and crap caught in the gate.

Swing the lens out and give it a good clean!

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 11, 2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And they we're too! Just tiny tiny bits of fluff.

Just needed a bit of a clean and good as new again.

God you know everything you lot! [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC