8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Do Used Super8mm Cameras Sell Well?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do Used Super8mm Cameras Sell Well?
Ken Elhardt
Junior

- posted September 28, 2008 11:23 PM      Profile for Ken Elhardt   Email Ken Elhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the early 80's I bought a nice Chinon 9500MV Projector and Chinon 506SM XL for doing stop frame animation mostly shooting computer graphics off of a CRT. I've been wanting to sell the stuff off for years but assumed I could hardly even give it away. However after searching ebay and the web, the 9500MV projector seems to be a hot item (my stuff has very little use). However, I'm having a hard time determining if Super8 cameras are still being bought. I was going to sell/auction both pieces together, figuring if the person didn't want the camera, they'd get it anyway to use as a bathtub toy or to drop kick it around the back yard. But I may split them apart if the camera has some potential of being sold separately. Does anybody know if a Chinon 506SM XL has any market these days? Thanks for any help.

I'd post a picture, but this site called me a piece of sh*t for trying to link to a picture. Not sure why that option is even here if it doesn't allow one to use it.

Thanks for any info,
-Elhardt

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2008 01:21 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

I don't know about your Chinon, but there is a thriving niche market for the top-model Super-8 cameras since the resurgence of shooting in the format with the new film stocks (and transfers) available.
Brands such as Braun-Nizo, Beaulieu, Bauer and Nikon tend to get the big dollars. However, you never know if it will inspire someone else to jump on the bandwagon with a cheaper camera, so you could just put it on EBay and see what happens. Can't hurt.

Best Regards,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2008 01:40 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say Ken, your camera wil probably sell for change. Your projector seems to be nice, though. It's both magnetic and optical right?

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 30, 2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Knut. Only the top Super 8 Cameras sell for a decent amount. The rest sell for very little money. Some cost more to ship than the ending bid of the camera itself!
My advice when selling is to never sell the 2 together. 99% of the time you will make more money by splitting them up. In my opinion of course! [Smile]
Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Ken Elhardt
Junior

- posted October 02, 2008 10:05 PM      Profile for Ken Elhardt   Email Ken Elhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to Knut. Yes, the Chinon 9500MV was their top of the line model that does both optical and magnetic sound. One person from this forum said one guy bid up over $1000 for one on ebay. I'm never that lucky though. I saw one camera shop with one on ebay for $575 with the buy now option. Maybe I can get $500 or so for it. In fact, I see this forum has a sale/trade section. Maybe I can avoid ebay altogether.

As for trying to sell the camera separately, if all I'd get is change for it, then I'd rather just give it away free to whoever buys the projector as it won't do me any good to keep it.

I should have just put links to the pictures rather than try to embed them since this forum doesn't like that. This is what the camera looks like for those who are curious.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/Elhardt/Ebay/Chinon506SMXL.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/Elhardt/Ebay/Chinon9500MV_506SMXL.jpg

-Elhardt

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC