8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS 1200 still going strong

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS 1200 still going strong
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 16, 2008 01:37 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its been about 17 months since I made and fitted a two bladed shutter "doesn't time pass" and its still running like a charm, even the old coverted external B/H power supply I have been using for the 250watt Xenophot lamp has not been a problem. I would have had this particular GS for 14 years and running film through it today makes me appreciate this projector all the more. I thought I would repeat some of those old photos posted 17 months ago rather than bring up the old post so here is a trip down memory lane [Roll Eyes]
 -
it amazing what you can do with a screw driver [Wink]
 -
yes... [Eek!] I did remember how to put it all back together.
 -
one shutter in the making thanks to a bit of scrap from the old green B/H 16mm
 -
The finished product

I would add that I would have never pulled this projector down had it not been without the help from forum members...well thats my little trip back in time.. did anyone else give it a go?

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 16, 2008 11:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
I did the same shutter conversion about 3 years ago and the results are well woth the effort. My 3 -bladed GS1200 looks almost dim compared with the 2 -bladed machine. I can only imagine what a bright light you are getting with the 250 watt lamp. Could you supply more details about the lamp conversion? Did you find a way to interlock the external lamp power to the projector so that the lamp only comes up to full power when the projector fan is running? What about the 3 volts warm-up power for the lamp? How big is the external transformer? Did you have to supply additional cooling for the projector lamp?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 16, 2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
 -
The external power supply was made up from the same green B/H 16mm projector that the two bladed shutter came from and is housed in an old speaker box. In the photo you can see at the top the original B/H two position switch for Low/High settings for the lamp, on the left the transformer and bottom right fuse box and were the lead plugs in from the outside, all the wiring is as it was from the B/H just swaped over.

The leads leaving for the projector is heavy duty household I found in the garage.

The original GS1200 wiring is still intact just moved aside so I can later return the projector back to how it was. I was lucky with the NZ importer of Osram lamps that I deal with for our Xenon lamps bought in a special supply of those 250watt lamps the only thing was I had to buy in bulk so bought 15 of them, the importer bought the rest, however the price was cheap about $14 each.
 -
The projector lamp switch is always in the on position for cooling as soon as you press play, as far as cooling a 250watt its not a problem, even Derann in the past would advertise a 250watt as an unofficial lamp for the GS1200 so cooling wise its fine, also there is a baffle plate between the lamp and the claw which has cooling air being blown through so although the lamp was designed for 16mm the light/heat is only hitting the baffle plate with its small aperture.

Using the Xenophot lamp and a two bladed shutter was a huge step forward with a brighter picture it seems sharper and the colours are much more vibrant.

Regarding lamps, at the time I carried out this work the Fuji ESC that Kevin was later do a review/test on was not available if it had been I would have used the Fuli lamp instead and not bothered with an external power suply as the Fuji ESC 200watt would have done the job instead. however I am stuck with all those Osram lamps [Roll Eyes] so better use them, for anyone else reading ths post never use a 250watt in a GS1200 using the projectors transformer.

Paul are you using the Fuji 200watt lamp?

Graham.

[ July 23, 2009, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Graham, I did the modification with the two bladed shutters on my projectors and both m/cs are working just fine. Alex.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 18, 2008 02:20 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alex and Paul
It would be interesting to read how you went about the conversion to a two bladed shutter? did you carry out the work yourselves? where did you get the shutter? any chance of photos? and the type of lamp you are using?

Graham. [Smile]

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2008 01:41 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Graham.I did the mod., myself,bought a piece of aluminium sheet and cut the shutters more less by the same method that you used, sorry but I do not have any pictures to show as I did not take any,The work taking the pojectors apart went very well just took it very slowly and made sure everything went back together o.k. and the m/cs are both working just fine. Alex.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC