8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A question about a film auction ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question about a film auction ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 07, 2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks!

I just won an auction for a 3 Stooges reel. The auction said that it is a 35MM film of the Three Stooges entitled, "Tails of Horror".
Now, in the first place, it doesn't look to be 35MM and the seller said that it is a 3 and a half inch reel in width, so I'm betting that is, (fingers crossed) is one of those two 3D Three Stooges releases.

Doug, could you verify? I don't have the technical no how to make a link, but the ebay auction number is

If it is one of those 3D releases, then its a great find. Even if it isn't, heck, it was only 99 cents with free shipping!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing that seems odd to me is the label on the can. 35mm prints were never destined to be owned by the general public, as such they came in generic resuable cans with at best a lab label.

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2009 09:51 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a dvd of Spooks?

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 07, 2009 10:16 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the missing link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D200358303956%26_fvi%3D1&item=200358303956&viewitem =&salenotsupported

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 07, 2009 10:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the film I believe it to be too. I remember seeing an auction for a little 3 and a half inch reel of "Spooks" in 3D on standard 8mm awhile back. I think our own Doug owna copy of each one. The label on the can looks like the one from the original boxes.

The funny thing is, if it is "Spooks" it was a Shemp film ...

So why is Curly in the picture?

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 07, 2009 10:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

As seen in the pic below, that is the original artwork for the Columbia release. Looks like you've got an 8mm print of "Tails of Horror".

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 12:01 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those versions are very rare!They were a short time promo item,hence the packaging.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 08, 2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THATS THE PICTURE!!!

Ooooooh! I hope its a Super 8 copy! How has the color held up on yours Doug? That 3D effect takes good color to work!

Now I'm really salvating to get it!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 11, 2009 01:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE UPDATE!!

Hey, I received this film in the mail today and it is in fact that very part 2 of those two reels of "SPOOKS" in 3D!

The color shift is apparent and it is a standard 8mm copy, but there is still some of the 3D effect left. The neatest little stunt is at the beginning, Larry comes popping out of the screen in from the Moe and Shemp, a nice effect. (in they're other film, "Pardon my Backfire" the three of them have canes that they poke out at the audience).

Also, another interesting note: it has all the original leader on this and even the writing on the leader is in 3D! I guess that the people who put this out assumed that the people projecting this would still be wearing they're glasses at the end and would catch that.

Anyhow, for 99 cents, it was a nifty little auction!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC