8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Speakers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speakers?
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 31, 2009 04:16 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As, unlike 16mm projectors, Super 8 machines do not generally come with extension speakers, I wondered what you all used for sound reproduction.
Sorry about all the newbie-like questions!!

|  IP: Logged

Richard Gordon
Junior

- posted December 31, 2009 06:07 AM      Profile for Richard Gordon   Email Richard Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael, if you're not referring to the obvious, like: plug an extension speaker into a projector's extension speaker socket or connect an amplifier to its audio output socket, are you asking how to add an output socket of some sort to a projector? Regards, Richard

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2009 09:31 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always best to go into a proper hi-fi amp and hi-fi speakers, in my opinion, even for 16mm. I use NT1s and because they don't have a line level output as standard I use a impedence adapter sourced from the car stereo world, by Boss. This gives two by mono outputs from the speaker socket and goes to Yamaha amp and kef speakers.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2009 10:05 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Sony amplifier and a 4-speaker setup in a square around the seating. Minijack-to-RCA cable from the Elmo to the amplifier.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2009 10:14 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just use a cheap $15 pair of computer speakers. My projector's mono output goes to one of the speakers, located at the screen, and the silent speaker is the one with the volume control. The projector's speaker is disabled when using this output. I use the projector's volume knob to adjust when the film starts. Works great for a small room.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 31, 2009 12:48 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, I know how it's done - I was wondering whether most of you use an external amp or just speakers connected directly to the projector utilising the projectors amp.

Thanks for the replies people.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2009 01:36 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use both methods. With my regular set-up, I run the Bauer 610 "line-out", to my Sony amp, which is hooked up with JVC SP-330 speakers (2).

For projecting elswhere, I just either use the projector's built-in speaker, or, if a large hall, run an exteral speaker from the projector (too much to carry external amps, etc.).

James.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 31, 2009 01:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, now what kind of speakers do you use when just plugging these directly into the projector. I've seen a Eumig speaker on Ebay once in a while.
Are there others?

Richard Gordon
Junior

- posted December 31, 2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Richard Gordon   Email Richard Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 6 ohm-impedance speaker from my JVC hi-fi with my Eumig Mark S 802; works perfectly. Regards, Richard

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2009 10:32 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "third way" is this:

I use a smaller self-powered monitor made for mixing recordings (Samson Resolv 80A); it is a two-way design with about 25W for the tweeter and 75W for the woofer.
Line-out from the projector to line-in on the speaker, with a volume knob and selectable high freq emphasis on the back of the speaker.
Pretty portable, and plenty of good-quality sound without a separate amp or using the little amp in the projector.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 01, 2010 04:52 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've seen a Eumig speaker on Ebay once in a while.
Are there others?

Michael, Elmo has a wide range of external speakers.

But for my own opinion those external speakers were good for 1970s situation.

With today's sound technology improvement, there is no point to use those external speakers, unless for sentimental reasons.

Hook the sound (from output channel or taken from ear/headphone output) up to a good amplifier and we will get a decent 1990s sound quality with good bass and treble. [Wink]

(ps: Beside the sentimental reasons, some people prefer to use the old external speakers because they consider old films are good without bass and treble, the way of those films were made)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 02, 2010 04:12 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the outputs on the projector 1/4" jacks or mini-jacks?

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 04:54 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a mixer board to control the projectors sound. This gives a great amount of control over not only eq, but things like gain and fine balance control. Plus mixers give the option of having a monitor with a seperate volume control. I use an speaker to line level converter like Steven to step down my 16mm projector. But the 35mm solar cell takes a mic input like a champ. S/N isn't amazing, but I hope to fix this up eventually. Mag from super 8 is very clear. The mixer is fed through the wall into a spare audio input in a receiver in the actual screening room and to the speakers just like any other sound source.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a nice variety of wonderful solutions! Whether you wire up a hifi speaker to play directly from the projector amp, or use adapters and line level cords/inputs into an amp/receiver, just do SOMETHING! A high-quality show requires the sound to come from a clear speaker at the screen. And projector speakers are rarely as good as hifi ones. So however you find it easiest to do it, just do it!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC