8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Hand Held Movie Viewer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hand Held Movie Viewer
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2011 08:13 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a seller on Ebay that has available a hand cranked Super 8 Movie Viewer. The asking price is $15. It's made of plastic and it comes in a yellow box. Does anyone know who made these and if they actually work? Doug has been kind enough to provide a link to the item (Thanks, Doug).

[ March 22, 2011, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Brad Kimball ]

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 22, 2011 08:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eBay link.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

James Romero
Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2011 04:53 PM      Profile for James Romero   Email James Romero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one almost exactly like this one pictured on ebay. The only difference was mine didn't have the grip handle and had a film reel capacity of 50ft. It was made by Argus ... and it was how I got into film collecting at the age of 7. My viewer came with a cartoon entitled 'Fits in the Pits' and was a scene with Fred Flintstone working on his dinosaur in the quarry.

It works fairly well. Just thread the film, turn the hand crank and hold up to the light. I loved that little toy!!!

Ilias Sifakis
Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2011 04:59 PM      Profile for Ilias Sifakis   Email Ilias Sifakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought 2 of these for me and my friend.
They actually suck. Reels were uneven, plastics are crappy, light didn't work. reel mechanism was too hard to spin.
I gave up trying after a while and kept it as a decorative...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2011 11:05 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep,a very "below average" one,this viewer.Every now and then, someone puts up a post about a toy movie viewer and,each time,my juices are stirred! I get to thinking about the Hong Kong-made Apollo 3D Movie Viewer that was advertised in "Movie Maker "magazine in the year 1981. This gadget was a bit like a "super 8mm" Viewmaster.Film cassettes were inserted horizontally into the viewer.Film subject matter was limited to boxing matches(I think).Anyrate,I really would like to have a play with one of these gadgets....regards,Trev [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 24, 2011 11:06 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small rectangular thing that takes small cartridges with about 30 seconds of Super 8 film. The picture you see is so small that it's pretty hopeless. Surprisingly, the cartridges were being sold until at least 1992, as I have ones for 'Terminator 2' and 'Batman Returns'. When I bought it, it came with a clip from an English football (soccer) match, which wasn't a great idea as you would have trouble spotting the ball!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2014 12:52 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight,I found a picture of the Apollo 3D Movie Viewer-in MovieMaker Oct 1984. [Wink]
http://www.filmstips.com/pictures.php

--------------------
Trevor

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2014 09:52 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yuck! Horrible things, avoid at all costs.!!!!Ken Finch. [Wink]

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 07:50 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing!Today(26th April) I found one!

http://www.filmstips.com/apollo-3d-viewer-and-pak-ofun-moovy-sho.php

--------------------
Trevor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 26, 2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's "reely" cool!!! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2016 07:49 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.filmstips.com/apollo-3d-viewer-and-pak-ofun-moovy-sho.php

Here is how it works! Trev

--------------------
Trevor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC