8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » rooster cogburn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rooster cogburn
Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! fellas if there,s any one who has this digest from universal in 400ft can tell how is the edit
-rosster cogburn with john wayne 1975

many thanks:

luis caramelo

|  IP: Logged

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2012 09:56 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of this 400' digest Luis.
what do you need to know?
I will watch it again to check it out.

dogtor [Confused]

P.S. Where is Funchal?

[ May 13, 2012, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2012 06:13 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! frank ,nice to meet you,well in first place i would like to know if the cut-down of this digest it,s nice to watch and if the editof the chosen scenes are good...
about your question where,s "funchal" it,s in MADEIRA ISLAND,i hope you will come to visit it some day

regards:
luis caramelo

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 13, 2012 06:59 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Luis,if you are thinking of purchasing a print,have no fears.
The version I have is the more common version available and not
the Cineavision print.The film is printed full frame and has the
familiar "pinky" Universal bias but is still okay,it has all the key
scenes and is very well edited,excellent in fact,as it still manages
to capture some of the interplay between two screen greats John
Wayne and Katherine Hepburn.Very highly recommended and a
great 17 minutes.The sound is top notch.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 13, 2012 09:54 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luis,

I agree with Hugh. I have the Cineavision print and this is a very entertaining digest.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2012 02:17 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it too. I've never seen the full feature and this digest tells its own story quite well. It's a shame mine is fading.

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2012 04:03 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks,friends for those informations,it helps a lot,thanks to douglas for the picture of the box art work,maybe i get lucky to get a scope version of this digest...
super 8 it,s a wonderfull world

regards:~
luis caramelo

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 14, 2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree as well. I have the CIneavision version of this digest and the colors are still spot on! No fade whatsoever. At least with this print, I have heard that the Cineavision version has held up better (color wise) than the flat version, which has tended to be faded ...

... and it is a very good edit indeed. It well encapsulates the story line ...

... and lastly, they included the short scene with Strother Martin's character, and I always loved that character actor!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 14, 2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strother Martin "Now what we have here is a failure to communicate".

Where's that line from Osi?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 14, 2012 02:07 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya gotta hand it to Luke,he's so cool.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 14, 2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Doug and Osi,you've got a great film in Cineavision.The
scenery in John Wayne's later films I always thought were worth the price of admission alone.It's just a shame that this film wasn't given the 2x400' treatment,as there was some great dialogue.
Still at least we still have "True Grit",which I don't think needed
remade,how can anyone hope to eclipse Wayne in his greatest
role.No doubt the decision makers in Hollywood are the thirty somethings who couldn't find their arse in the dark with both hands.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did remake "True Grit" with Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges playing John Wayne's role. It didn't measure up at all for me probably because I'm so accustomed to the original.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 14, 2012 06:37 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original was much better. Even though Glen Campbell sucked as an actor. Kim Darby was awesome. I have both 400' digests of Grit and Rooster and they are both great.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2012 10:36 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't one need a regular anamorphic lens? I thought "proportianally reduced scope" meant it's full aspect ratio, but in a smaller gauge. I don't think I understand what a Cineavision print really is. I thought a squeeze lens is used to pan-and-scan a scope movie.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 15, 2012 01:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad ...

"Cineavision" was just the name used to distinguish this from scope. However, Cineavision is actaul anamorphic scope in truth.

What was done with Cineavision prints, (for instance, my "Empire" print, nice plug, eh?! [Smile] ) is that they, instead of just printing the scope image so that it completely filled the super 8 frame, they brought the original scope image "back" a little, placing black bars on the left and right hand side, so that the actual printed image on the super 8 frame, that you see with the naked eye (unsqueezed), is a perfect, or near perfect box, as the original 35MM frame shows.

To illustrate further, take a piece of 35MM film, say, from a scope movie trailer, hold that up to the light, now, place next to it a Cineavision print on super 8, and a regular scope print on super 8.

You will find that the Cineavision print directly cooresponds with the "square" image on the 35MM. However, the regular super 8 scope image is more rectangular and more likened to your old fashioned traditional TV "aspect ratio", which is not a perfect square.

Therefore, when you watch a Cineavision print on super 8, you are not losing any of the original image information when projecting while your standard super 8 scope print will cut off image information from both the top and bottom of the frame.

further "therefore" ... you truly are not being shown an anamorphic scope image, (besides the fact that you are squeezing it down anamorphically). You are seeing an image that has information missing from the top and bottom.

... and, depending on how much the film labs moved in on the original scope image, you may be missing a lot more image info than you can imagine.

I once compared the "Cineavision" BEN HUR 400ft digest with the scope feature that I have, shot for shot and I was quite struck how much the Derann (or Kempski?) printing came in on the image.

Some shots that were originally "Medium full shots", were now literally close-ups, which does detract from the overall impact that the film-maker intended.

OK, now, I'm sure that many, (Including myself), are going to cry over spilt milk over the fact that our precious scope features are not quite the original aspect ratio.

However, If I had the preference, being a lover of film and the widescreen presentation especially, I would much more prefer the Cineavision presentation of a super 8 print, over the average scope super 8, given the choice. The CIneavision image was certainly the "Cadillac" of the scope super 8's, while the standard scope super 8 is passable, but not accurate to the original image intentions.

I hope that explains it Brad. There is certainly a difference.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2012 05:42 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineavision gives an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 while full frame super8 gives a scope ratio of 2.66:1

[ May 16, 2012, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2012 10:13 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Whiz, Osi! WOW! What a great explanation! Thank you ever so much! So , Cineavision is much like what Widescreen VHS/DVD look like hence the black bars at the top and bottom. Isn't that what adaped scope is? So what does a squeeze lens do? I have one scope print and I do not have an anamorphic lens so, without the lens, everything is squeezed so the image looks like you're viewing it through a slit in a popsicle (lolly) stick. My print of the '79 "Dracula" is in adapted scope where the image is presented in its true aspect ratio with black bars on the top and bottom and you don't need a special lens to view it. What would help would be a screen cap of "Cogburn" compared to a cap from a true scope print that requires a scope lens.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Cineavision prints do not have black bars at the top and bottom of the frame.They are on the left and right sides of the 8mm frame to give the correct aspect ratio without losing picture information from the top and bottom of the frame. (cropping).
Without a scope lens the image will appear squeezed the same as the ordinary 8mm scope but with those side bars visible too.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Cineavision are not letterboxed prints, (with Black bars at the top and bottom) ... they have black bard on the left and right hand sides of the frame to maintain that perfect, original scope image. However, you do need an anamorphic scope lense, (Kowa, ect.) in order to view them, just like you would need a scope lense to watch any other scope print on super 8/16Mm ect.

Another nice faotr to the Cineavision prints is that I have never, to this day, ever seen a hard to focus Cineavision print. Actually that is not too hard to believe though as, since these went through a deliberate process to maintain that original scope image, (black bars on the left and right) they probably used either 35MM master material or an excellent 16MM negative from a 35MM print. All of these are pin sharp!

The only drawback to these Cineavision prints is that, except in a rare few occasions, they were printed before the era of LPP, and so, while they did use some very good eastman (as all my cineavision prints are spot on in color), they will eventually fade if not stored properly.

That print of Empire I have, (another sneaky ad! HAH!) is a Kodak SP print, and while the color is gorgoeus, if not stored properly, it will fade in years to come. I keep it refridgerated, but even with doing that, sometime in the distant future, it will fade.

Another neat thing with the Cineavision films, is that many titles, especially cartoons, are only found in thier original format with Cineavision. While the Tom and Jerry scope cartoons have been released these days on DVD, (fianlly, and earlier on laserdisc), they were first available on super 8 many years beforehand,a nd some, such as the CIneavision print of "One Droopy Knight" is only available in it's original aspect ratio of scope, as a Cineavision title! I only recieved that one a short while back after a many year search!

I LUV this subject!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC