8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Putting 8mm on youtube and how yuotube deals with copyright (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Putting 8mm on youtube and how yuotube deals with copyright
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 04, 2012 02:19 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Michael,remember when a lot of those digests were made,
there wasn't video,laser disc,DVD or any of the myriad TV channels
available and the film companies were loathe to release full
features,but saw the potential in a well edited 16-20 minute bite.
Even now,a film show to friends can be very enjoyable with a few
well chosen digests and trls etc as oppossed to a full feature.
Remember digests aren't available, except to the film user.

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 04, 2012 02:22 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well Michael,remember when a lot of those digests were made,
there wasn't video,laser disc,DVD or any of the myriad TV channels
available...

Yep, I acknowledged this in my earlier post.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2012 03:58 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the possibility with this that posting Super 8 cut downs on YouTube will adversely affect dealer sales. On the other hand it could go the other way. But I can't understand why anyone would want to bother risking this as was happening recently with loads of poorly transferred Super 8's being put up for the world to see. One or two great examples would probably help the hobby but please don't push it too far.

I did take your earlier point Winbert and my response was not intended to be in any way antagonistic. Just please be careful and perhaps leave things as they now stand. Perhaps we should remove this whole thread to prevent others thinking they can now slap anything up on YouTube without any legal recourse. That won't do the film collecting hobby any favours at all.

Yes, the pirater of my work did get dealt with seriously. He managed to avoid a criminal record which was down to me as I wanted to protect others who were involved but entirely innocent. He had been ripping off bigger fish than me but they had never noticed.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 05, 2012 06:13 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
others thinking they can now slap anything up on YouTube without any legal recourse.
It is the opposite John, read again and again my first post. I approached everything through legal way and by understanding the law itself

quote:
Perhaps we should remove this whole thread
Why?.... Are you living in a fear, John?

I live in the other side of continent where people have the rights to question the authority and the law itself. From what I learn, here there is a balance between right and obligation. And what I did with this trial and error has proven this.

Good luck for your work John!

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 05, 2012 09:18 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe John is merely concerned that people might get the idea that anything can be uploaded and they can escape prosecution by claiming "Fair Use". Working in the broadcast industry, I see shows use this concept often to get around copyright issues and escape having to pay for content they use. This doesn't stop the owners from taking legal action.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2012 10:17 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I scour Youtube regularly for pirating for films I've made and when I see an illegal posting I report it to Youtube and have to submit my Copyright number each time. As a film maker, it ticks me off when people think they can copy a film and post it on youtube as if there is no consequence. People assume it's free. Film making is very hard work, and is costly, so when people cavalierly throw an entire feature documentary on youtube that we're still distributing they don't realize that they are literally stealing from us. So as Howard da Silva said in 'They Live By Night'- "I wanna take steps a block long, anyone gets in my way, I STOMP them!"

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2012 03:42 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with John Clancy on this one -- copyright is something to take very seriously, whether it's film collecting, broadcasting, etc. The desire to post something on YouTube -- or one's enthusiasm for film collecting -- doesn't supercede copyright considerations. Even the unique subculture of film collecting has to be aware of and abide by copyright, pure and simple.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 05, 2012 05:31 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely correct. Copyright is copyright. There's no point in trying to find ways around it or to find loopholes.
In particular, with the posting of Super 8 digests, what's to be gained for any risk involved?

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2012 06:20 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think I've read these same comments from the same people before.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006532;p=7

We all know what happened.

It's not worth it.

That's all I have to say about that.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 06, 2012 12:41 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Copyright is copyright.
No further comment, yeah ...just ask 20th Century Fox and Youtube who sent this below email to me:

quote:
Dear winberth0305,

FOX has reviewed your dispute and released its copyright claim on your video, "FrenchConnection". For more information, please visit your Copyright Notice page

Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2012 12:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was making the point that it's not a good idea to post something on the web that may encourage others to post copyrighted material in the expectation that it will be legal. You've pushed the law Winbert and been cleared but that may not happen if you try again. I'm with Chris on this one (and he should know!), it's just not worth the risk. However, what I will say is I doubt any individual is going to be bothered with an old Super 8 print being posted for the whole world to [potentially] view but if it was a Super 8 release I had invested in clearing the rights to use and issue for sale I'd possibly pursue the culprit irrespective of how many years previously the film had been issued. Something to bear in mind methinks as it only takes one person in a company and you could be in deep doodoo.

If anyone really wants to promote film collecting I suggest what is required is a proper short documentary on YouTube which could then show projectors, the enthusiasts using them and home cinemas with the odd 'fair use' clip showing on the screen. If I had the time I'd do it but alas I'm fully occupied with my TriumphDVD business.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC