8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell & Howell Lumina MX33 Back Cover Removal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell Lumina MX33 Back Cover Removal
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 31, 2012 11:54 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up a Bell & Howell Lumina MX33. It is in pristine condition and runs both R8 an S8 great...it's very quiet. I want to take a look inside to make sure everything is ok...but after removing the 5 screws on the back cover I still can't get it to come off. Does anybody have any experience with this model or a similar model and can provide some assistance in getting the back off.

The screws I have removed are circled in red.
 -

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 06:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice

I don't know this projector at all, but I have a thought based on a similar problem I had with a Bauer.

Have you tried lifting up the handle? There may be a further screw behind it.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Just check underneath Jan,there might be some sort of locking screw.I sometimes wonder if there is a hidden agenda on how to make things impossible where a simple operation needs to be
performed.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2012 09:22 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is that small compartment in the center?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 01, 2012 10:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Maurice: There's nothing under the handle.
@Joe: The small compartment is for storing an extra bulb and the S8mm adapter...a nice feature.
@Hugh: Yes...I agree. I've collected over 20 projectors in the last 8 months (I guess I got a bit obsessive [Smile] )... Most are very easy to get into by just removing a few screws, but a couple like this one seem overly complicated. Even access to the gate to clean it is a bit of a mystery. I do see 4 hex screws on the bottom panel...I'll unscrew them to see if that does anything.

Thanks guys...I'll let you know [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 10:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice

A further thought. There may be a long screw going right through from the operating side.

If you can get that cover off!

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2012 11:04 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could there be two more screws into the frame through that cord storage...thingy?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 01, 2012 01:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BINGO!! Thanks Joe Taffis you had the right area. I could feel it was holding onto something from the top, but nothing was visable. So I re-examined the little bulb compartment with a flash light and found a small screw. Removed the "secret screw" and the back came off easily.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions it helped me troubleshoot and find the solution. Here's a picture of the hidden screw and a glimpse of what the back inside of the machine looks like. It's a very clean and simple design.

-

--------------------
Janice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 02:29 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Janice and Joe,I'm sure that you both could join the
famous "Magic Circle" club for decyphering that little magic
trick.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice

That's a great running projector. Nice and quiet. I have had a few of these in the past. I like the shape of them also. Did it come with the cover for the take up reel?

PatD

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 01, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Pat...didn't come with a take-up reel cover or a manual.

BTW. Since you have some experience with the Lumina models...How do you clean the gate. Does it come apart?...and How do you remove the lens?

[ June 01, 2012, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Jan

If I remember correctly (as it has been a while) the front cover snaps off and you have access to the film gate. Then I think the lens just pulls out? But be careful, cause I might be wrong. As I get older I forget a lot of details.

Pat

PS I think that model didn't come with a cover even though there are slots for it. I think the MX43 and up had the smoked plastic cover.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 01, 2012 07:29 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The front cover comes off easy enough. I can get a brush into the gate if I'm careful...but it's tight. There is also a small piece of heat shield glass that looks quite dirty. I can clean the side that faces the bulb... but can't get to the other side facing the gate/lens... not sure how to remove it. As far as the lens in this model...you can't just slide it out. There are a couple of fragile springs attached to the lens housing...so I don't want to mess with them until I know more. I'm hoping someone who has this projector can lend some insight.

--------------------
Janice

Nate Lockhart
Junior

- posted June 06, 2012 08:39 PM      Profile for Nate Lockhart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Janice, I just picked one of these up myself. Have you found that the pull on the film is a little wonky on it?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 10, 2012 12:16 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate...Sorry getting back to you so late, but I have my son and 3 grandkids staying with me and haven't been on the forum much in past week.

I love your term "Wonky". If you mean how the film feeds into the gate? YES...but the picture seems very stable so I guess it doesn't matter. I like this projector. FYI...A guy on YouTube turned a similar model... which I also have... into a frame-by-frame telecine projector http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx4IbmrSUyY&feature=g-like.

BTW Nate....Did you get a manual with your machine?

--------------------
Janice

Nate Lockhart
Junior

- posted June 11, 2012 10:41 PM      Profile for Nate Lockhart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure did! It didn't offer too much in the way of troubleshooting though. I really only get picture instability when playing Super 8 films. The picture momentarily strays to right, exposing the sprocket holes.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 11, 2012 10:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate...Sounds like you have more "wonkyness" going on then I have. Mine just feeds a little strangely, but goes through the gate ok.

Can you take some pictures or a video for use to get a better look as what is happening with your projector?

BTW. Would it be possible, Nate for you to scan the manual. I would really appreciate getting a PDF or a image file copy.

--------------------
Janice

Anne Bielby
Junior

- posted December 07, 2012 05:11 PM      Profile for Anne Bielby         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Janice, this post helped me too when I was trying to get the lever out that fell in when I was trying to put the springs back on.

Thanks for all your pics and other help!

Anne

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 11, 2012 11:32 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it helped Anne and thank you for the manual.

--------------------
Janice

Sam DeMaranville
Junior

- posted December 19, 2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Sam DeMaranville   Email Sam DeMaranville   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, there is a screw down at the bottom of that compartment on back that has the arrow. I have a MX 38 and that is how the back comes off. Be sure to unwrap the cord so the cover will slip off.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 19, 2013 12:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...Sam...If you see the photo above I found the hidden screw in the spare lamp compartment.

By any chance have you had to replace the belt a your projector? I have yet found the secret. I have a couple of these projectors that need new belts. They have them on Ebay...but no instructions on how to install the belt [Confused] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Janice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2014 04:05 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice did you ever get the belts on your units changed? another member is looking to change out his as well.
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009649

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 27, 2014 05:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Jim...but not a traditional way. I ended up making my own belts...but wrapping silicone cording around the pulleys and joining the ends with the flame from a lighter. Getting it to fit correctly was a bit of a challenge...but it worked.

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC