8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S 807D projector speeds? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig S 807D projector speeds?
Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2013 10:52 AM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Bit of a mystery. Just peeked into the back of this Eumig to see what's what. Firstly the fly-wheel(?) is not turning: how does this work please, is it a speed governor?

Secondly, neither speed pot seems to have any effect on the speed, 18 or 24fps settings. Is it possible a previous owner somehow fixed the speeds then isolated the pots?

Apart from this the machine is a smooth enough runner.

Many thanks,

Ric

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 14, 2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard

The flywheel is turned by the film when it passes through it and the capstan. The speed pot does have a very slight effect on the speed. It would be noticed by listening as opposed to watching the film.

Cheers!

PatD

PS I'm going to UK in April. My wife has family in Kent.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Pasquale, but it is not as you say at least with this machine: in fact there are no speed trim pots, since the motor is not an electroniclaly controlled DC motor but an AC motor. In this case the speed variation is obtained by means of the motor's pulley on its shaft and the rubber discs it moves inbetween. To clarify, Richard, all you need to do is having a look at the back of the innards and observe the pulley moving vertically on the motor shaft when changing the speed with the lever on the opposite side. It's all a mechanical thing no electronics involved here...

--------------------
Maurizio

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 14, 2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS! So much for my memory. Gracia!

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2013 09:13 PM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pasquale (welcome to the UK:) and Maurizio,

I am confused - is it possible a previous owner has customised this 807 and added their own pots, which explains why they don't seem to function?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/r_i_c_2007/IMG_6900_zps19192e0e.jpg

Here is the fly wheel - it does not turn - I wonder if there is anything obvious which is not connected up, that I could tweak to get this wheel moving again?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/r_i_c_2007/IMG_6897_zps83288f7a.jpg

The arrows just indicate the Hz setting and the voltage select options.

Wow, if those aren't pots I wonder what they are then?

Bests,

--------------------
Ric

Paillard Bolex H16 Reflex. Projectors: Elmo GP-E, Eumig S807D; B&H TQIII. Editors: Erno E1201, Prinz Oxford 1200, Muray 16mm.

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 01:36 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what are you trying to achieve Richard? Various speeds between 18fps and 24fps can be achieved by adjusting the front mounted slider by the take up spool, and for those of us with 50hz electricity, further adjustment can be made by switching the flag inside the back cover to 60cycles, allowing 16.66 frames per second for flicker free transfers for example.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,Richard. Sorry, no customization: the trim pots you indicated are for bias current adjustments; this model is a sound projector and can record: the machine must be factory adjusted to achieve the best frequenzy response it's capable of. Thereflre while getting no outcome for your goals, chances are you have de-trimmed the adjustment of the sound recording of your projector.

I endorse what John added 100% - good luck

--------------------
Maurizio

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 09:10 PM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John & Maurizio,

Yes, I sometimes make my own films then like to transfer them to dv.

Well, I am amazed. The Eumig's apparent pots resemble the speed pots on my Bell & Howell TQIII if smaller. The previous owner or indeed the factory has colour marked the exact position for both controls on the Eumig, so they can be re-set exactly. However - although it fascinates me - I do not use striped film so audio is not going to be an issue.

I have checked the S807D it is a three blade projector so what you say about 16.66fps should tally with my cam which has a shutter speed of 1/50th. Which slider speed at 60Hz would give me 16.66 please, 18 or 24?

Many thanks again,

--------------------
Ric

Paillard Bolex H16 Reflex. Projectors: Elmo GP-E, Eumig S807D; B&H TQIII. Editors: Erno E1201, Prinz Oxford 1200, Muray 16mm.

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 02:20 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
for those of us with 50hz electricity, further adjustment can be made by switching the flag inside the back cover to 60cycles, allowing 16.66 frames per second
John, how do you get to 16.66 fps? When I calculate it, the change of the setting from 50 to 60 Hz should make it 16.66 % slower but you'd achieve 15 fps then. Or am I seeing something wrong here?

--------------------
Alex

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 03:06 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify the last two posts for those who may think that moving the flag actually CHANGES the speed.......it doesn't, the movement of the flag simply allows the front panel speed knob a different range of movement, giving a different range of speeds. It compensates for the fact that different mains frequencies result in different film speeds because the motor runs at different speeds.
With my 810d, I achieve 16.666 fps for transfer by means of a very simple Triac control circuit inserted in one motor lead and controlled by an external hand operated potentiometer.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 07:22 AM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff! So what is the result of switching the Hz flag on the S807D please?

We are talking standard UK mains voltage.

Thanks,

--------------------
Ric

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 07:59 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flag should show the 60 Hz reading horizontally. Then you have to lower the speed slider on the main side; for conveninece in setting its position, you can have the machine run with lamp on and your camera at 50 Hz; move the slider until you see no flicker at all in the viewfinder. You''l be amazed - it's very easy.

Alternatively if your camera allows for non-standard shutter setting, in the past I achieve excellent results with a 3-balded shutter Sankyo 800: by setting the camera's shutter speed at 45,5Hz flicker was totally cancelled without touching the projector's speed. Perhaps you may want to try this too.

--------------------
Maurizio

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 08:10 AM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurizio,

Well I'll be! You mean that slider runs through a *range* of speeds? I thought it was a hard-wired switch from 18 to 24 set speeds! Now I can see that the Hz flag position determines different regions on the slider.

Can't wait to try this out. My cam has a 1/50 manual setting which synchronises three times 16.67fps (=50).

My Bell&Howell is a two blader so I have to run it at 25fps (2x25=50).

Will update [Smile]

--------------------
Ric

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfectly spot on, Richard, included the fact the speed lever runs through a range of speeds (like always in Eumig machines using this arrangement).

--------------------
Maurizio

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 06:20 PM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurizio,

Can anyone kindly identify the capstan (or how to locate it) that drives the flywheel please?

This shows the lamphouse side of the projector with the lamp temporarily removed.

S807D interior

Either the film is missing the capstan or the capstan is just not turning, which would explain the stationary flywheel?

S807D flywheel

Thanks again,

--------------------
Ric

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 17, 2013 06:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The capstan should be in the film path after the gate but before the sound head. If it's not there, it can't be anywhere!

If you turn the flywheel manually you should be able to see it rotating on the same shaft.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 08:14 PM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve,

There is the problem. If you follow the line of the wheel shaft through the projector it would emerge in the general region of the audio panel, on the opposite side of the projector.

capstan / flywheel shaft

Any idea how to remove this panel please? There is a large screw to undo but the panel is then held in place by the tone, volume and also the main selector dial just beneath the speed slider.

I can't see any method for removing these knobs, there are no screws locking them to their shafts that I can see?

There's also the Super / Regular sound switch right on top of the capstan, in fact this unit including the switch effectively conceals the capstan. I am wondering if 'N' or 'S' settings might affect the flywheel / capstan? That's a long shot.

capstan / gauge select, audio unit

[ January 17, 2013, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Richard Kemp ]

--------------------
Ric

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 17, 2013 09:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my Eumig they pull off their shafts.

(The knobs are held on by friction only.)

Be gentle, but be firm!

--------------------

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2013 09:18 PM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is helpful Steve.

How crucial is getting that flywheel in motion please - what will be the result of it remaining static?

Thanks,

--------------------
Ric

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 17, 2013 11:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For silents it doesn't matter at all. For sound films it's night and day.

The problem you have here is you have two kinds of motion going on at the same time. The film in the gate moves, stops, is projected onto the screen(three times actually) and then moves on to the next frame before starting all over again. The film past the sound heads is just a continuous flow at constant speed.

The average speed is the same, but one is stopping, bursting forward and stopping, and one is just sliding by like a river.

How is this possible in the same piece of film?

There’s a loop of film below the gate. One end is pulsating from the action of the claw in the gate, the other is constant speed. Since there is no tension in the loop, most of the pulsation is used up in the loop vibrating back and forth, but you still need something with a lot of inertia to really smooth it out: that's why there is a flywheel right before the heads with a roller on the film surface.

A sound projector without a functioning flywheel couldn't isolate this pulsation from the sound heads, and whether it was a war picture or not, you might just hear a sound something like machine guns in your sound.

It's one of those nice, simple solutions to problems smart men figured out before they started writing "code" to make the World right (so far: not so good!).

I bet you can fix it!

When you find the capstan see if it clamps down on the film when you go into "forward/project". Usually it remains disengaged so you can thread the film. Maybe it's hung up...

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2013 12:01 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please remove the lower portion of the cover and take some more photos of the area comprising the pinch roller (a black rubber roller) and the track selector: this way the flywheel shaft (capstan) should be visible and we should be able to figure out what is keeping it from spinning.

--------------------
Maurizio

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 18, 2013 12:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold on tharrr!

On this machine the roller is after the heads, isn't it?

My mistake....

It would be better if it was before the heads, but it still helps.

--------------------

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve & Maurizio,

If I can remove the panel knobs - & if I can do this without harming the projector - I will remove the panel. Otherwise I considered carefully unscrewing the 'N-S' unit and removing it to reveal the capstan, since I do not use sound strip film.

But first I'm going to experiment with the speed slider, just to make sure I can get 16.67fps here?

Bests,

--------------------
Ric

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2013 01:11 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,
DO NOT remove the "N-S unit"! You will not see the capstan any better if you do and you may break one of the attached wires. YOU may not use sound film at the moment, but if you break one of those wires you will find it difficult to mend for anyone who may want to use sound later.It may look to be easy... but it's even easier to be wise AFTER the event!
Do as Maurizio says... remove the panel.
1. Pull off the sound control knobs... they push fit.
2 Pull off the Forward/Reverse knob... it push fits.
3. Unscrew the large flat screw between the sound knob spindles (it's captive).
4. Grip the edge of the panel at the front end and pull it gently towards you. It will swing about the spring clip at the rear end and then pull away. Job done.
5. To put it back, engage the spring clip at the rear end, push the front end in and do up the screw.

With the panel off you will be able to see everything.

DON'T disassemble anything unless you are sure what you are doing!. If you are truly mechanically competent I have some helpful documents on this series of machines that may prove useful; PM or email me if I can help.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Richard Kemp
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Richard Kemp   Email Richard Kemp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for saving the day, Martin!

Will update - Can I just confirm that running the flywheel will affect the projection of silent films please? If it will have no effect on silent films - I do not run or make sound films - then there is no point in me interfering further with the Eumig, which is running very well at the moment.

Please advise,

Many thanks for all the helpful advice! [Smile]

[ January 18, 2013, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Richard Kemp ]

--------------------
Ric

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC