8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New venue northwest film fair 2013 blackpool (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: New venue northwest film fair 2013 blackpool
Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 05:03 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it's great that film enthusiasts have events like this to meet, and this time in such comfortable surroundings, the friendly staff, all night bar, leisure facilities and excellent food in the Hilton made for a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

It's not just down to the organizers but also to the collectors that make the effort to come from far and wide to these events that keep the hobby alive, and this year if you did not make the effort I am sorry to say that you have missed out.

There was a real buzz to this years event, the Saturday evening really was great fun. Relaxed atmosphere, rare entertaining films shown and amazing raffle prizes on offer , I won a mint Derann Super8 scope feature of "Logan Run"!

Sunday the Cinema was packed all day, good shows never seen 9.5 before. Many rare and unusual items on offer in the dealer room which you would not find anywhere else, and at bargain prices. I went home fully loaded.

Thanks to David, Adrian and all involved. I am looking forward to next year. Now I need a few days to recover from those late nights drinking and chatting to 1.30am in the bar.

|  IP: Logged

Don Sykes
Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 05:37 AM      Profile for Don Sykes   Email Don Sykes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NORTH WEST FILM FAIR Part 3.

The Cinema with the new CinemaScope Screen.
Standing room only for all shows.
 -

Back in the Dealers Room.
 -

-

-

-

-

-

...and so,as the sun sinks in the west we bid farewell to,
THE NORTH WEST FILM FAIR. 2013.
HOPE TO SEE YOU IN 2014 IN THE NORTH WEST.

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 06:06 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum young Don. My word you did an excellent 9.5mm sound presentation well done.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 07:04 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a very very special thanks to don for posting some top notch pictures on the forum re blackpool ,I have never seen anything as professional as this a very well don and many thanks

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 08:20 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must endorse the positive feedback regarding Blackpool. It was a matter of survival in 2011 followed by consolidation and a return of the dinner in 2012, but this year there was a sense of moving into an exciting new era, particularly due to the inspired move to the Hilton, which provided us with the most spacious, attractive and convenient facilities we have ever known at this event. It must have been the highest attendance for years and what 'rewards' those coming found in the dealers room! Some of the 16mm features on offer (e.g. 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' and 'Carrie') were a bit out of the ordinary and there was no shortage of 8mm too. The bargains were amazing - e.g. EFS had a box of £20 16mm features, that was nearly empty by 10.20 am when I saw it! The Bring and Buy stall was exceptional too, with more bargains that included moderately rare Super 8 400' digests for an astonishing £3 or £4, plus several optical sound features I'd never previously come across, such as 'Love at First Bite'. It also had plenty of nice condition Elmo 1200' reels for only £10 each. I bought 3 films on the B&B (including a 45 minute 1989 16mm dance-related documentary) and only spent £11!

As mentioned, there was a real 'buzz' that reminded me of the old days, with film retuning to the fore. The film shows were packed out and I think David plans to have a larger cinema next time. My only disappointment was the lack of new releases in the show where they were due, but of course that's down to the lab and it reinforces how regrettable it is that there's no competition in an era when most labs are crying out for business.

Thanks to those who have posted kind words about the dinner - I'm glad everyone enjoyed it so much. Considerable credit is due to the Hilton for providing excellent food at a very reasonable price; even the prices in our private bar - e.g. £3.40 for a pint of bitter - were less than I expected. The raffle has become so popular that the income this generates means that we will now have a budget that can be used to enhance the event further and the ticket price next year may well be less than cost price! James Cecil showed what a good idea (I think) Bob Nicholls had when he suggested a few years ago having a new presenter each year, as collectors are sharing the 'specialities' in their collections, which enabled James to offer astonishing sights such as city scenes from 1905 and a commercial from the silent era in colour! James also screened an old commercial for a Kellogs promotion which showed the cine equipment offered as prizes. His documentary about Norfolk's 'Singing Postman' was another entertaining rarity that probably no one else had seen. Thanks are also due to David Watson - who I welcome to the Forum following his recent first post - who played an important part in making the dinner a success. I'm also grateful to the friendly Hilton staff who bent over backwards to be be supportive - e.g. offering to erect their own 8 foot screen, which we decided to use.

As Lee has said, there's a great sense of cameraderie at Blackpool, with the friendly chat starting before the events and continuing well after midnight, which means that during the Film Fair it's easier to focus on what's for sale and the shows. Those staying at the Hilton clearly experienced unprecedented luxury, but some of us staying elsewhere had a superb Sunday night carvery meal in the Hilton followed by a Super 8 show in the lounge/bar of our hotel, which kept the fun going until 12.30am on Monday!

I detect signs here and there of rivalry between the BFCC and Blackpool with both wishing to be 'the best', and there's no harm in that if it remains good-natured, but in my opinion BOTH are the best as they each have fantastic attributes that are unique to their own event. I was delighted that Ealing had a comparable 'buzz' and the best attendance for a few years, and the fact that this also applied to Blackpool means that we can go into 2014 with greater confidence. If you have only been to one, I beg you to try the other because you won't be disappointed. I didn't manage a proper holiday this year but I had such a fun-packed time in Blackpool that I wouldn't have exchanged it for a week elsewhere. Everyone in Lancashire always seems to be friendly and hospitable and Blackpool itself looks better each year due to the fortune the local council is spending on improving the promenade and other parts of the town. If you're not convinced yet that the trip will be well worth making in 2014, you probably never will be!

[ November 20, 2013, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 09:50 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is now clear that the selection of the Hilton was a stroke of genius on David's part. He seems to have given the whole collecting scene a huge boost.
I suspect, in retrospect, that David now thinks that some forum members were correct in alerting him to the popcorn issue. I doubt that the Hilton staff would have appreciated greasy popcorn all over their beautiful carpets.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 10:22 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re popcorn everybody I spoke to at blackpool re popcorn said I should have brought it, as the ones that made the comments would have not atteneded anyway ,so I am giving it some thought

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 10:40 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if there could be a slight misunderstanding regarding different types of popcorn? The types I see in UK cinemas, sometimes spilled on the floor after the film, are always a dry and non-greasy type, so wouldn't leave a problematic residue on carpets even if people trod on it. It also doesn't have a very strong smell. Is there a different variety sold elsewhere?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 10:50 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Adrian, most people I see with Popcorn in cinemas here seem to go for the option of having butter poured on it, which needless to say makes a very greasy mess.
If David could sell the popcorn totally dry, it may not be an issue, but I would certainly ask the Hilton if they would have any issues with it beforehand.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 10:50 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I david guest would like to thank all the forum members for their kind words ,and as Adrian said re cinema this has now been extended to a 200 seater ,re popcorn there are several types of popcorn mine is the toffee coated popcorn and its not sticky and is served in a cone or a bigger portion in a box.i also have asked the Hilton re selling popcorn and they have no objection, if fact they said it was a great idea

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 11:16 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone in the USA now thinking about going to Blackpool next year? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 11:31 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Butter on popcorns ? Beurk [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I hoped, we have ironed out the popcorn issue by identifying major cultural differences! The pouring of butter that Paul refers to is unheard of in the UK. Cinemas here generally offer a choice of fresh sweet or salted popcorn, but the toffee variety that David mentioned can also be bought, sometimes in fairly small bags, in some shops and cinemas, with the brand mame Butterkist.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad the cinema is being extended as we didn't get to see the first film show due to lack of seating,Apart from that a great day Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2013 06:21 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what super 8 films were shown after the dinner.

And what other super 8 films were shown to replace the new prints that didnt turn up. Always interested to know.

Graham S

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 20, 2013 11:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out....

http://youtu.be/R3UYspxQvZw

Graham [Big Grin]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 21, 2013 04:19 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbequed popcorn? [Eek!]
Blimey it took them a bit to go get a fire extinguisher.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 21, 2013 07:28 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham - no Super 8 films were shown after the dinner; it was a historic first ever 16mm presentation! One or two posts here refer to some of the content, which was all extremely rare, out of the ordinary material.

I saw part of the show that would have had the new releases. I can recall it included 'Pieces of Silver' and a railway film, but I missed the title of the latter.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2013 05:13 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adrian for that, obviously Lee's super 8 show didnt take place.

Im already thinking about 2014 [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] .

Graham S

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 22, 2013 07:53 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to say that all being well - and hopefully the success of this year's Film Fair has assured the immediate future of the event - Lee is provisionally pencilled in as presenter of the 2015 film show! There has been an great response from collectors and I don't have a vacant film show slot until 2017. The evening finished around 11.15pm this year so it's probably just as well that there was only one film show, although I have a volunteer to provide a short comedy spot next year!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2013 02:19 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a week since the Blackpool weekend, and David Guest has
through this forum asked for comments.
Well I think this years events have been the best for several years and the venue the Hilton Hotel the best ever. To start with
The convention dinner was a great evening the meal being one of the best of any of the convention dinners I know I have been to all of them, the film quiz was challenging and fun,the raffle went down well and everyone seemed to enjoy the rare and unusual
items shown in the 16mm film show, congratulations and thanks
must go to Adrian Winchester for organizing such a great night.

The Sunday convention, again this years I think was one of the best for a number of years as others have already said it did seem to have buzz to it,which was missing from some previous years. The dealers room was large well appointed and well lit
the Cinema room was comfortable and well blacked out, a good selection of super8 and 9.5mm films shown, well done to Bob Nichols and Don Sykes.

David Guest's decision to change the venue to the Hilton hotel
was inspired it would very hard to find a better place for the convention. Much praise and thanks must go to Mr.Guest and his helpers for their efforts and also to the hotel staff for such a great day.. already looking forward to next years convention. [Smile]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2013 05:14 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thankyou mr david Watson for your kind words

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC