8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Homemade filters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homemade filters
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2013 09:36 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read online about people placing gels in front of their projectors to correct reddish reels. I gave it a try and purchased a pale yellow and a pale blue.

The gels arrived yesterday and I tried them out on a red print of The Sound of Music I have and found that both gels together made the color look better. My question is- should I just buy a pale green gel to achieve the same correction?

I noticed that two gels darken the picture just a bit, my logic is that one would do the same thing and allow more light thru.

Suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 12, 2013 10:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a compromise: the filter works by blocking the light you don't want, but that light contributed to the brightness of the image, but if you change the filter to allow more brighness, you get less color correction.

Short of a brighter lamp and a faster lens, you'll need to fish around and find some compromise of brightness and color correction you can be happy with.

You can't have it all! (-at least not all at once!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 13, 2013 06:56 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chad, I've found that a blue takes the fire out of the print,and the yellow
adds tone, especially to flesh and green (foliage) colours.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 13, 2013 11:17 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a set of 3 filters and a holder that fits over the lens I bought from a guy on eBay. They are all shades of blue that I use in different combination depending on the film I'm projecting. Where are you getting the gel material? I'd like to try using yellow to see the effect.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 13, 2013 12:40 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan I'll search out my gel supplier, and get back.

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2013 12:51 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too purchased these filters off of eBay. They came from a guy named Rick from back in North Carolina I think.
I've been in touch with him and he also offers yellow and peach filters too. I've asked him for pricing details.
By the way I got my hands on some yellow cellophane today and tried that but it wasn't transparent enough and just made the image blurry.

UPDATE - $20.96 for a set of the yellow filters and the peach filters... Ill report back once I get them.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 05:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is on the 8mm Forum, should it not be on the 16mm Forum as bad colour prints are more likely to be on 16mm?

Here is a link to Hoya filters.

http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/products/cat/Colored%20Filters/

Whilst they are obviously for cameras there seems no reason why they could not used for projectors. I just checked the f1.2 lens on my Bell & Howell 644 and it has a screw thread which seems to measure 52mm. Perhaps such threads are standard?

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 14, 2013 12:40 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I think this filter topic spans across both 8mm and 16mm formats. I have plenty of 8mm films that have turned reddish. The lens I'm using in my 16mm projector is a 25mm 1.5in lens (probably from a 8mm projector) with an adapter to fit in my Elmo 16CL.

--------------------
Janice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan, I checked, and mine were made by Roscoe and supplied
by Stage Electrics. There are a number of companies that supply
them inc. terralec.co.uk & LEE Filters. On ebay uk now, just type
in coloured lighting gels, and there are collections you can buy for a few pounds. They are in sheets and not expensive.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 14, 2013 02:28 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh...I think I'll wait to hear how Lee likes the yellow filters he has ordered from Richard Meyers.

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
You must have very different weather from where I live in England. I don't think any of my super 8 colour films have actually turned, although some have a slight fade.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 03:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true Maurice, living in a temperate climate sometimes has
it's advantages, but I often buy a faded print of a favoured film,
so a bit of correction does help.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 08:11 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice - you're VERY lucky and I'd imagine that your collection can't have much in the way of Universal 8 and pre-80s prints from certain other distributors. I have considerably more fader Super 8 films than 16mm.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 02:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian

Perhaps I am lucky, as I said, some of my Super 8 have slight colour fade, but nothing like a few of my 16mm prints.

If you want to buy sheets of stage lighting gels in the UK here is a link. Don't forget they are for stage use and may not be entirely suitable for film projection.

http://www.stagedepot.co.uk/lighting/gels?gclid=COm0wOj8sLgCFWbJtAodWUUA2g

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 04:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must be lucky, too, I have very few pink or red super 8 films.

--------------------
Dominique

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 07:12 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Terralec sell them ready made for 0.75 pence each.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 08:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned by Hugh.

http://www.terralec.co.uk/lighting/gels__filters/11478_0c.html

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC