8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Wiring a 2-pin DIN Plug

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wiring a 2-pin DIN Plug
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 18, 2013 12:59 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this 2-pin DIN plug that I would like to solder wire onto and use for an external speaker connection. Can any of you audiophiles tell me where to attach the wires?

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2013 02:20 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Janice. One wire to 1, the other to 2. It doesn't matter which is which (unless you are connecting Stereo Speakers, when you connect the marked wire on each cable to the same pin on each plug). 3, 4,5 is just a strain relieving clamp you can bend round the outside of the wires to hold them firm against pulling the connections off.
Martin

[ October 18, 2013, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 18, 2013 11:29 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect Martin...just the info I needed. Thx.

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 18, 2013 04:06 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...The photo shows I'm making a cord that has a balanced XLR plug on one end and a 2-pin DIN plug on the other. After stripping the outer wire...there are 3 wires inside..1)Black 2)Red 3)Silver Stranded Wire. I'm guessing the Red and Black wires connect to the number 1 and 2 terminals on the above photo...but what do I do with the stranded silver wire?

-

--------------------
Janice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2013 04:26 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either cut it short or connect to 3,4,5. In this case is does nothing... though an XLR outlet is unusual for external speakers????

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 18, 2013 04:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin....I use a Direct Box from my projector to the speaker which takes an XLR plug.

....and here's the finished product. I first tried it on my Yashica P810 (love this projector). It worked great...nice clean audio. Next I'm going to try it with my Eumig 810D [Smile]

Martin...I can't thank you enough for helping me out [Smile]

-

[ October 18, 2013, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 18, 2013 08:13 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Janice is an inspiration. She is not afraid to tackle any job! [Cool]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 18, 2013 09:03 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice is the bomb! Techno mama!

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2013 09:49 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is why they call her the Phenomenal Film Handler!!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 18, 2013 10:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH YOU GUYS! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 12:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does the speaker lead use a screened cable?

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 19, 2013 02:22 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice...Not sure what you mean by "screened cable"?

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 03:08 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "screened cable" is used as a ground wire to reduce hum.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 05:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
The screening bit is what you refer to as "stranded silver wire", and further explained by Pat to be used for what we call earthing, but referred to in the US as grounding.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 19, 2013 11:27 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are you asking me why there is a grounding wire? All I can tell you is that the cable that I used was previously used for a microphone. I just removed the mic plug and substituted the 2-pin DIN plug. it was not speaker wire.

Testing the connector with my Yashica there was no hum...however lots of hum with the Eumig. I cut the grounding wire off and did not attach it to the plug. Maybe I should have.
[Frown]

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 19, 2013 11:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the lead was for a microphone would explain why the cable was screened. This is to avoid hum.

However, the Eumig is a well-known "hum maker" so may-be there is nothing you can do to reduce the hum.

In the 70s I had a Emumig 807D which I used for public shows, but there was not a lot of sound output, always running on max. About that time a British firm produced a "Eumig Amplifier". It was quite small as to height but about the same overall size of the projector. The projector just sat on top. However, whilst it did indeed amplify the sound it also increased the notorious Eumig Hum.

The amplifier was a complete waste of money.

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 19, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grounded connection is to shield the wires inside from picking up stray magnetic fields. These induce electrical noise that mixes in with the signal you want and when you pass them through an amp the noise gets bigger and nastier. This is a big deal when you are starting with a very low level signal like a microphone produces.

The signal out to a speaker is as amplified as its ever going to get, so you usually don't need shielding on speaker wiring. My amp is in the back of the house and my speakers are in te front of the house with maybe 40 feet of unshielded wiring in between: as quiet as can be.

I've always wondered if the problem with 800 series Eumigs is that the power transformer (and its magnetic field) is right on the opposite side of the chassis wall from the sound head. I'm sure the chassis provides some shielding, but other than that you couldn't get the transformer much closer to the heads if you really wanted hum!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 19, 2013 12:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll just live with the hum on the Eumig. The audio is plenty loud even with the volume turned down. I only use the Eumig for Regular 8mm and I have very few R8 sound reels.

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC