8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 702 humming noise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 702 humming noise
Lee Panton
Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2014 11:21 AM      Profile for Lee Panton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i plug the lead from the projector into the wall socket and switch on without starting to run the machine i hear a humming noise but is this normal for the 702 or does it mean the amplifier or power supply is on its way out. Apparently this machine only had about 10 hours use over a few years but could have been sitting in a box for many years. Only got this machine a few days ago and the seller claims its fine. The machine is running fine otherwise.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2014 12:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How bad is the hum? All old audio circuits will have some of it, it's just a question of how tolerable it is.

It could be that the electrolytic capacitors in various filter circuits are dried out and aren't very capacitive anymore.

They dry out with age alone, and go even faster without a voltage being present to keep them formed up. This many years down the road none of them should be working by any usual standard (yet they do...).

They aren't that hard to replace if you are up to it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Panton
Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2014 01:23 PM      Profile for Lee Panton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. The hum is not loud or distracting just slight noise…seems to be performing fine though. Just purchased this machine a few days ago…according to the seller it only had about ten hours use over a few years but it could have been sitting unused for many years.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2014 02:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure,

As long as your soundtracks drown out the hum it's not a problem. When you start to hear it during quiet scenes, then you have an issue to work on.

I actually like just the slightest trace of hum: it lets me know that the sound is all connected up and turned on.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC