8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projecting striped sound films on a silent projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projecting striped sound films on a silent projector
Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2015 05:11 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I no longer have a standard 8mm sound projector but still have a small number of 200' striped films with a home recorded music track. For std.8mm silent, I still use my Eumig P8M projector. If I use this to project these films, will the stripe cause damage to the projector gate?
Many thanks and a Happy New Year to all on the Forum

Gordon

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 01, 2015 07:37 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how striped film coumd damage a silent projector. As long as you clean the gate on a regular basis, it should be fine.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 01, 2015 10:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gate is the same either way, so that should be fine, but I've heard talk that some silent projectors don't shield the film adequately from the magnetic field of the motor and would damage the recorded audio.

-seems plausible, maybe enough to run a sacrificial print just to test it out, although you'd need to have a friend test the sound for you, certainly after and maybe before too.

If it's true, it isn't always. I used to run sound prints through my Kodak moviedeck (with daylight screen) just to see how the color and condition were. This never caused any problems.

The worry may be greater in projectors made before there was a sound stripe to consider.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 02, 2015 05:02 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig P8M hails from the late 50's and was sold before the introduction of magnetic sound, having said that, there should be no problem projecting such films, although the added stripe would make the film thicker on one side.

I suggest you follow Steve's suggestion and run a film, and then ask a friend or fellow collector to project it on a sound projector to see if all is well.

--------------------
Maurice

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2015 10:11 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Dominique, Steve and Maurice for your replies to my posting. I have just projected one of the films and did notice a slight de-focussing on one side of the picture. Presumably caused by the magnetic stripe. As I only have several std.8 sound films I won't continue with them. I may consider obtaining a dual standard sound projector later, but for the present, I am content to use my P8M and Elmo ST800 projectors.
My best wishes for 2015
Gordon

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC