8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What was your first Super 8 Purchase? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What was your first Super 8 Purchase?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 25, 2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there might be a topic already done in the past but this will be fun for the newer members! Do you remember your first Super 8 purchase...and do you still have it?
This one is mine:

-
I think it cost me $39.95 and I purchased it from Larry Arpin of LA films! That was expensive since I was 13 or 14.
Notice how there are no head leaders?

-

I give thanks to my first Super 8 projector. The Chinon 4100. It used to routinely eat all my films up. I hated that machine.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Tollick
Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2015 01:06 PM      Profile for Daniel Tollick   Email Daniel Tollick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good been watching one of these on ebay for the last few days.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 25, 2015 01:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine Rik, was a Standard 8mm B/W 50ft version of "Do You Like Snow" silent of course as well! Ha ha.

How many 8 year olds of today would be amazed by such media! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2015 05:18 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started collecting only 5 years ago but have managed to have a huge collection now!

My first Super8mm was The Planet Of The Apes 200ft B/W Silent - I think it was about US$10 plus P&P.

Then discovered it wouldn't run on my first projector I got for Christmas - Eumig P8 - a Standard/Regular 8mm projector!
Yes I was abit green on all the film guages but learnt quickly [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2015 05:41 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 50ft Silent extract from "Easy Street" or A keystone Cops silent. I only had a battery/add on transformer projector then, no shutter, 10w lamp and a flat aperture plate - it scratched the films terribly. It was soon replaced by a Eumig 510D

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 25, 2015 05:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Apart fron Rik, who is postively posh by comparison (ha ha), it appears most of us mere mortals started out with humble beginnings.

--------------------

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2015 06:17 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first was a full feature film of "walking tall" starring Joe Don Baker and a full feature print of "Dead Weekend" starring Brenda Baccaro i buy the films new 25 years ago from a spanish brand called Visiones Marbiscolor. I still have the print of " Dead Weekend" ,it was printed on agfa stock and still have a wonderfull colour.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2015 06:24 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
200' silent cutdown of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE. What a wonderful night I had watching that.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2015 07:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving into sound as a teenager puts you in the Advanced Class!

-I got my first silent film as a 16 year old and went into sound at forty!

Back that long ago the idea of having sound was almost exotic. Among the very few people I knew that had movies at all, all had silents only. The first Super-8 sound projector I ever saw was my own.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 25, 2015 08:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Jose tops us all with a first screening ever with a FULL. FEATURE as a virgin projectionist!

Quite frankly if that had been me on first go at threading, i would have been scared to death of wrecking that valuable print on its maiden voyage.

You sure left it late Steve for moving into "Talkies".-why such a big gap of 24years to try them out? [Confused]

--------------------

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2015 08:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first reels I purchased with my own money (age 16 ) were Universal 8 / Castle Films: Frankenstein & House of Frankenstein.Both were 200',silent reels.I must have played both three times each that day!... Douglas

[ May 26, 2015, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Warren ]

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 25, 2015 10:00 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember looking at the ad on the back page of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine and at that time I thought it was the whole feature with sound and color for a mere 9.95!! Imagine my surprise when I went to the Kmart and they told me it was only 2 1/2 minutes long!!

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 01:06 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the first Super 8 purchases was going on a christmas shopping trip from South Wales to Birmingham and my father buying me a techno release of "Bugs Bunny Rides Again" in Boots of all places. I still have this copy over thirty years later and although my dad has gone - he loved this cartoon and I have fond memories every time I screen it.

David

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 01:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
One to treasure David. Great that you still have it and a fabulous story to boot!

It's brilliant how, just like certain records, treasured vivid memories tag along with some of our collections. It really does make them priceless in many many cases.

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 01:59 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew,

Very true - regarding memories - my collection has many memories and reasons to hang on to the prints.

David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 04:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still have this B/W.. T/J.. bought way back in the 70s [Smile]
 -

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 04:48 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EASY STREET,Blackhawk.

--------------------
Trevor

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 05:04 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my very first film was Standard 8 Walton 50ft Laurel & Hardy 'Reluctant Legionnaires'for Christmas late 60's with battery Horipet projector.My first Super 8 'Catalina, Here I Come' re-titled as 'Channel Swimmers' Collectors Club 200 footer starring Eddie Quillan and 400 foot 'With Love & Hisses', silent Laurel & Hardy.All my films were standard 8 until I got hold of a dual gauge projector, it was a revelation picture wise...

[ May 28, 2015, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: Steve Carter ]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 05:42 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first was bought with my Elmo ST-600 and was the black and white edition of Island of Mystery, 200' ... I was 11 at the time and money earned from paper route well spent on those two :-)

[ May 26, 2015, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 06:48 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7th Voyage of Sinbad and Revenge of the Creature. Purchased from a Two Guys Dept Store. VERY early 70s.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 07:11 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My REVENGE OF THE CREATURE was from Two Guys as well!

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 10:09 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first 8mm move was a 50ft silent "Castle film" telling the story of Rudolph Valentino..the projector was a small hand cranked machine was from mail-master...with a bulb so weak you could hardly SEE THE PICTURES.

The NEXT WAS A 200" SUPER 8MM SOUND from Dixons called the "Night Caller" starring John Saxon...not a bad little b/w abridgement...I had a baby gioca at the time...it was £69.95 from Scientific and Technical.

Happy days...but before all that was the hand-cranked "movie viewer from Mail master.(you had to hold it up to the light)..I rented a few 200" to watch on that from the local camera shop...age 12/13 then... [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 01:51 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go back to Standard 8mm...Parents bought me for my 9th birthday a Brumberger hand cranked projector. And gave me money to buy at Sears, two Castle headline editions.... Have Badge Will Chase and Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. That would have been 1958.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely sure, but I think my first super film I actually purchased new, when a kid, was a Disney super 8 color silent 200ft entitled, "Jumbo Cartoon parade", and I proceeded to wear it out, had fun, though.

I had a good number of "Hand me down" films from my dad before that, but that "Jumbo Cartoon Parade" was bought brand new, in the very early 1980's. A side note to that story, they had an offer of 5 or 6 color prints of Disney characters that were free, all you had to do was send shipping for them, (and the order form that came in the super 8 box, of course) ...

I completely forget about it and then, many months later, they actually arrived!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 07:28 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
star wars 400ft by ken films

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC