8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A Portion of Caution, Or Not ? Old Beasts.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Portion of Caution, Or Not ? Old Beasts.
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 06, 2016 06:16 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to do a bit of std 8 silent with my youngest lad when he comes round.

But !!! I have deicded, hence the wanted post elsewhere to get a small Zeiss Ikon Movilux 8A/R silent little roundey machine.C 1960.

Sat ummimg and ahhing etc. I got to thinking about that old chestnut asbestos, its in a fair few old projectors in various ways.

I know I`ve puffed a fair bit over the years for various reasons but don`t want my son to unnecessarily.

Looking here at Barry F`s pick in the back of one, hope thats Ok ?

Do you think, any of the windings coverings, wires or insulations etc might have any in.

I`m sure its just a very overprotective dad type thing going on as I had the absolute opposite when young so over do it.

Interested in any thoughts etc too anyway.

Best Mark.

-

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 06, 2016 06:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Still a million ?????? Even more with you Mark???

You buy , you sell,then prove to others to feel sorry for you're predicament, and buy it back for you??

Really? Forget James Bond.forget Austin Powers,

You are indeed the very first international man of sincere mystery????

You really are??????????

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 06, 2016 06:48 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You,ve lost me there a bit Andrew.

But I do wonder as ASB is in Bauer P6.s, Siemens, and a fair few 9.5`s etc etc.

Newer cine stuff is fine though.

I once lived in a house with old crumbling artex. Gawd they even put it in Lino !!!

Best Mark.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 07, 2016 09:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If when you were a kid you rode in Dad's car in traffic with the windows down, you've inhaled plenty of brake lining. The question is how much is enough to cause damage. The guys who worked where they made asbestos brake shoes are long gone.

It's actually wonderful stuff in many respects, it's just a shame people didn't understand the risks better when they were using it so foolishly. For example there used to be fake Christmas snow to pour around your manger scenes (-because of the well known snows of Biblical Bethlehem!) and under the tree: pure asbestos fiber, in the most dangerous form.

These days you'd have guys in hazmat suits with tongs showing up for eggnog!

I would imagine in a projector the place to look would be inside the lamp house and around the lamp wiring.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2016 06:44 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White asbestos was widely used in the past, mainly as cement asbestos in the building industry. A very small amount used to be included in Artex textured ceiling compound and in some thermo-plastic floor tiles here in the UK. The only risk, as I understand it, is if you disturb it by drilling with power tools or remove it, something that you'd be unlikely to do on a projector.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: There wasn't any that was readily apparent to me.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2016 03:19 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem that it depends on how deeply you breathed when around asbestos. I read of a man working in the industry had no problems but his wife or daughter who washed his clothes died from an asbestos related disease, breathing in the fibres form the overalls he wore. It was put down to her breathing them further into her lungs.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2016 09:27 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the wires are rubber coated, some old wire had asbestos in the braided insulation. If it is in the rubberized insulation then it is probably not friable. Friable asbestos is the most dangerous kind because it can become airborne easily and get inhaled into your lungs. By definition in the asbestos abatement industry friable means it can be crumbled or pulverized in you hand. The parts on the projector that wear and cause dust probably don't contain asbestos. The only thing I can think of is possibly some old belts that were fiber reinforced may have had asbestos. I don't see how you could possibly exceed an exposure of concern using a projector unless your running it 8 hours a day every day of the week, especially if you keep it clean. To err on the side of caution you could take it outside whenever you blow the dust out of it. As long as parts aren't crumbling and falling apart you are probably ok.

There may be PCB's in the transformer but that will only pose a problem if you open it up or it breaks and oil starts coming out of it.

I've been working in the environmental remediation industry for over 25 years. That includes asbestos abatement. I'm also a Certified Asbestos Abatement Manager. You are right to be concerned about asbestos, it is dangerous, I just don't think a projector in good running condition is going to pose a problem. As Steve stated, we all get some exposure in our everyday life, it's just not enough to cause concern. You would be surprised how much stuff manufactured today still has a small amount of asbestos in it, even building materials like dry wall.

I would worry more about your son opening the back and getting electrocuted. I have yet to see an 8mm projector of that age that had a grounded plug.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC