8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ken Films Star Wars & Empire.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ken Films Star Wars & Empire.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2017 07:04 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Boxing Day I ran my 2 x 400ft Ken films Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back for fun as it is years since I've watched them.

Such great memories. Empire Part 1 was the second sound film I owned (a birthday present aged 10; lucky lad!!) even though I only had loan of my Uncle's silent projector at the time.

I remember discovering how polyester doesn't stick with film cement when I tried to edit together my expensive Star Wars extracts with no joy...an awful experience at the time when you're only 11 years old and you've poured all your pocket money and parent's goodwill into them!!

Thankfully it has survived, albeit rather faded sadly. Now held together with sturdy Wurker splices. An early lesson in film different stock learned there...

Now the worst part (or most laughable, depending how you look at it) but my original Empire Part 1, bought from my Mum's Kay's catalogue (who remembers them?) and surely an original print run hasn't faded at all!!!

BUT! Stupidly as a kid and not having a sound projector, I, ahem, attempted to run the mag stripe through a 1/4 inch tape deck to hear the soundtrack. Of course it didn't work, but it did add a lot of lovely scratches to my print.

What an idiot kid!

Makes me laugh when I think how OCD I am about my prints now.

But still, happy days and happy memories.

Watching them made me feel young again when I didn't have a real care or problem in the world...how getting older changes you!

I've had several Empire prints, but none look as good colour wise as that original. I know Osi here always wanted a great colour copy of this and would probably strangle me when he reads what I did to it! [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Looking back now I really feel glad that I was just the right age as a kid to enjoy real film just before video really took hold.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 15, 2017 07:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great memoirs Rob!

Indeed I do remember Kay's catalogue with affection also. In fact it was responsible for 90% of my collection in my schoolboy days thanks to my loving family and 38wks to pay!
A paper round also helped out. 😁😁😁

I remember as a kid spending literally dozens of hours attempting to synchronize a silent 200ft Tom and Jerry film using a mono portable Philips cassette deck.
I recorded the sound using the separate included microphone off the telly and insisting my mum and dad stayed silent throughout the process ha ha.
Then, I used the variable speed control on the Cinerex 707 to a degree of success to attempt to marry the two!

My first ever projected sound film of sorts and I was in my element! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Smile]

You're curious mind and willingness to experiment taught you all what you became as professional cameraman Rob. I wouldn't beat myself up too much if I were you. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 16, 2017 06:10 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a nice story, Rob.
My 2x400ft of ESB is keeping its colours, and was apparently printed on low fade stock. The tail is dated "december 1982".

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 08:04 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Telling your Mum & Dad to stay quiet whilst you recorded the audio from the TV...LOL...sounds a lot like myself as a kid, Andrew!

Jean-Marc, my ESB is annoyingly the first run, which really should have faded by now which makes me all the more frustrated with my younger-self! If only I had the right kind of Delorean!!

I even remember when my Dad rented our first VHS machine and we hired Star Trek The Motion Picture from "DER", a high street TV & Video hire company here in the UK back in the day.

I must have still been about 11 then and even then remember half way through watching it, sneaking off to see how much the "real film" 3 x 4000ft Marketing version on super 8 was in "Kays".

Once film is in your blood... [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 16, 2017 09:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
3x 4000ft in Kays catalogue?

Wow Rob, that would have to be paid for over 38wks or maybe even 38 months!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 11:02 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you're right, Andrew, my memory is hopeless now that I'm an old bloke!!!

It was about £120.00

But I still remember those glossy pages of super 8 projectors and film...

Still remember the day in 1982...

"1 x 400ft Raiders of The Lost Ark."

Hidden half way down a page in black on blue text in Kays...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 16, 2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I was only joking regarding the 3x 4000ft description Rob.

I'm sure you meant 3x 400ft but I was just pulling your leg mate. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

You're spot on though mate, I equally remember they tended to charge £39.99 for a 400ft digest so this would be absolutely bang on for 6 reeler.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 12:57 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes! Oops! My eyesight going as well...lol

Recall Empire was a whopping £42.00

The I found a local shop (The Movie Cabin) which sold 400 footers @ £32.00 which is where the other extracts were bought...happy days.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 17, 2017 01:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereabouts was the Movie Cabin Rob?

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2017 03:28 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was in Sunderland, Andrew, not far form Durham City where I was born.

Run by a chap called Keith, who many, many years later I recognised at Blackpool and had a chat with. He moved into video, did well and bought his own cinema. Sadly, I understand that he has since passed away.

He really knew his stuff as the shop was packed with the best prints available (all of the Star Wars prints were Ken imports not Mountain re-prints) and latest equipment.

Again, many happy memories of going there.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 18, 2017 04:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob, that explains things then, as I thought I didn't recognize the name from anywhere I've ever stumbled upon here in the North West.

Did they used to advertise nationally in Movie Maker or the likes?
It would be most interesting to look at their ads again now, if they ever did?

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC