8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 21)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2019 06:50 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the console working but cannot switch it to the command mode. So it is not of much use at this point:
NPT
DV180N Loader NT96650 Start ...

650DDR3_300_1024Mb 07/23/2015 15:56:42

MID=000000C2TYPE=00000020,SIZE=00000016

RFlsh
R
PL
RCPU/OCP/APB = 432/432/80 Mhz, DMA = 300 Mhz
Clk verify PASS

=========================================================
NT96650 SDK
Copyright (c) 2012 Novatek Microelectronic Corp.
=========================================================
Hello, World!
> Enter DSC
bind - begin!
bind - end!
event loop - begin!
ERR:ramdsk_setParam() No Implement! uiEvt 1
[LOAD-FW]
Total Sections = 2
Section-01: Range[0x80000000~0x800AB000] Size=0x000AB000 (LOAD)
PL_begin
Section-02: Range[0x800AA824~0x803DDCB8] Size=0x00333494 (LOAD)
PL_end

---------------------------------------------------------
LD VERISON: LD650
FW --- Daily Build: $Date: 12/09/24 6:56p $
---------------------------------------------------------

ERR:pll_setClockFreq() Target(4) freq can not be divided with no remainder! Result is 24750000Hz.
ERR:DrvLCDState() state=0x06 not support!
[DOUT1]: device = [Display_LCD], state = [STOP], mode = [0x00, 480x240]
[DOUT2]: device = [N/A], lockdevice = [N/A]
ERR:PStore_OpenSection() Section not found, name: DEFAULT, op: 0x1
ERR:SectionRead_Header() HEADER open to read FAIL
----------MBMA150_Init----------
ERR: open I2C driver sucess!!!!!!!
ERR: Error transmit data1!!
ERR:Ux_GetRootWindow() wnd not created
ERR:PStore_OpenSection() Section not found, name: ONLOGO, op: 0x1
ERR: Section PS_BG_LOGO open fail
ERR:PStore_CloseSection() Invalid handler 0
ERR:fs_ParingDiskInfo() Parsing PBR FAIL
.ERR:fs_StorageDrvInit() Parsing Disk info fail.
ERR:FST_CMDSysInit() File system init fail and will idle. -259
KENPHY SHOW MovieExe_OnColor:0
WRN:_GxSound_Play() Snd Data Size Not Word-Alignment=75670
ERR:aud_addBufferToQueue() buf size not word align: 0x12796
ERR:DrvNANDState() state=0x03 not support!
ERR:DrvNANDState() state=0x03 not support!
FL_CardStatus=0
Mode {MOVIE} Open begin
MODE -1->2
DrvSensor_GetObj1st
ERR:Init_AR0330() ^GOTPM v5
ERR:Init_AR0330() Chip version is 0x2604
ERR:ChgMode_AR0330() ChgMode_AR0330 to 4...
ERR:AF_Open() #Register AF event table.
ERR:IPL_SIEClkCBFlowC() SIEclk = 120000000
ERR:pre_open() PLL6 selected but not enabled...
ERR:IPL_SIESetCAVIG_FCB() CA VIG Setting not ready
ERR:AF_Tsk() #Entered AF_Tsk
KENPHY SHOW NEG:0, TARGET:2880
no CB2222222
ERR:IPL_FCB_Alg3DNR() ^G3DNR on..
ERR:IPL_FCB_AlgWDR() ^GIPL_FCB_AlgWDR = 6..
ERR:pwm_pwmDisable() not opened yet!
ERR:FileDB_CurrFile() u32TotalFilesNum=0
fileid:0
KENPHY SHOW INIT:0
KENPHY SHOW MovieExe_OnColor:0
ERR:IPL_FCB_AlgIE() ^GWDR OFF..
[BMA150DThresHoldSet][212] Thres:1000
KENPHY SHOW NEG:0, TARGET:720

|  IP: Logged

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2019 08:46 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the lens calculation.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WcGtQiMWWWvHFAXi6
Note that with the 12mm lens only half of the sensor is used.
Since the sensor rez is 2304(H) x 1536(V), that is ok to create the 1080P video. Similar cropping will happen with the gopro hero4 sensor. So I will look into how close I can get to the sensor with the gopro. Even if the transport is taken out the stepper is in the way...

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2019 09:40 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using the go pro in timelapse mode would not work, the wolverine transport moves at 2fps and the go pro does not do 2fps.

Even if it did, there would be no guarantee things would stay in sync for the duration.

Perhaps a different sensor, triggered from the Wolverine circuitry is the way to go, but it would need to be able to write an image sequence to a memory card and keep up with 2fps for up to 4 hours for a 400ft reel.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2019 09:26 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Valid concern about syncing the gopro. Possibly use the motor shield and control the stepper. Not sure what type of gopro you have Mike but my Hero4 does 0.5 sec time lapse. Not saying that I will go that way but definitely want to test that. Here are some preliminary shots with the gopro and timelapse set to 0.5 sec.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F8UK8mUmS4sjmA516
Obviously a new lens is needed. I am waiting for my ribcage mod. Plan to use the wolverine 12mm lens initially and do some tests with it and the gopro. Ultimately get a new lens.
One more thing, note how well aligned is gopro with the gate. It sits right on top of the stepper so it will be pretty easy to come up with the mounting bracket for it.

Colin Simpson
Junior

- posted February 22, 2019 12:47 PM      Profile for Colin Simpson   Email Colin Simpson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of these units (the winait) and it's very frustrating. It's so close to all I need for most of my historic films. Such a shame that the decent resolution of the camera and ease of use is lost by bad mpeg encoding.

I (as imagine others have) contacted Winait and asked if they could have an expert mode to save high quality jpegs of each image. They said it "it can not scan out the raw frame".

I'd be surprised if the chipset/controller used stopped you doing this, but I guess it's possible that this can't just be fixed in software. Even if it ran at a slower rate. I'd be interested if anyone ever manages to hack a new firmware or designs a new controller board to improve this.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2019 08:33 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a brief update from my man's cave. Looks like my ribcage order will take a few weeks before it gets here. In the meantime will try to control the stepper from my RPI. It looks like the stepper has an encoder with only two wires so maybe it is just a position indicator in oppose to having three wires or more for a true angle detect. Maybe that contributes to the jitter issue.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2019 04:19 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting point about the stepper motor Stan but I have managed to get jitter free scans by not using the take up reel and allowing the film to drop in a box, so the accuracy of the step seems to be ok.

I think the biggest problem is the awful take up mechanism and cheap clutch on the take up, along with trying to make a rubbish little motor do rewinding and take up.

Keep up the splendid work.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2019 03:29 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that these is a solution to this big issue Mike. Should say one of several big issues. I started working on the stepper and figured out how they provide the feedback for the stepper. There are two optical detectors implemented. They are under the gate and close to the claw. Each one has 4 wires (2 for led power and 2 for optical switch). One detector is used to sense the claw end motion and the other for the 8 - super8 switch. I wanted to know at what point of the claw movement the picture is taken and it is at the start.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WHjvcccfqEHwHMis7
Once I have the control of the stepper and the takeup motor there may be a better way by shutting off the takeup and then turn it back on after the pict is taken. Will need some experimenting.
Here are a few picts of the optical detectors:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aeCsxEer66u9AQ3c8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pUURJ68GP3atmmy78

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2019 04:38 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent work.
Interesting photo's too, thanks Stan.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2019 08:25 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Mike. Got the motor control working with RPI. Used the motor shield. Two issues. The shield is only 600mA and the motor is 1.5A. The second issue is noise due to the pulsed control. Ordered a 3A sine wave controller (Toshiba). Should be much quieter. Here a short video of the test:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8qoCqvqnFuuc3SCx6

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2019 03:20 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That video is quite something.
How I wish I had your knowledge and experience.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2019 06:47 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the motor part is not very hard Mike. Can share the instructions and the parts list. If this works out I will keep it open source. I have three versions of the machine in my mind:
1. Simple version. RPI intercepting the optical trigger signal and running its own camera:
https://www.robotshop.com/eu/en/arducam-noir-8-mp-sony-imx219-camera-module-m12-lens-ls1820.html
12mm lens:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1409672-REG/marshall_electronics_cv4712_0_3mp_12mm_f_1_8_m12_3mp.html
The camera could reuse the existing camera mount bracket with an adapter board.
Control the takeup motor. Need some advice here. At what point from trigger to engage it and when to disengage it.
I will have this version very soon (have to receive the cam first)
2. Same as 1 but with the gopro. Gopro triggered by RPI in time lapse mode.
3. Same as 2 but with the stepper control.

Any other ideas?

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2019 09:49 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any other ideas?
Oh yes, I have an idea that I will be pulling my wolverine apart when you get this sorted, sounds just what we all need for our wolverines, to finally get a half decent result.

excellent work Stan, thanks as always, this is just what is called for.

I am unable to offer any useful technical input but I really enjoy the work you are doing here.

Bill McCormick
Junior

- posted February 25, 2019 10:45 AM      Profile for Bill McCormick   Email Bill McCormick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,I'm new here and am curious to see if there is a way to capture somewhere from the camera directly to an output before the wolverine compresses the video. I might be way off base on this as I am not an elecronics person other than basic soldering etc.
I really have not had to many problems with extreme jitter,or
stuck film with my unit and I would guess I have done about 60,000 ft of film with it.

The problem like everyone else has is the MP4 compression.

Bill McCormick
Junior

- posted February 25, 2019 10:46 AM      Profile for Bill McCormick   Email Bill McCormick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could a moderator please delete this as it was a double post.
Thank You

[ February 25, 2019, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Bill McCormick ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2019 10:50 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more testing tonight:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5RG7JD2xTRHugwtt6
Nothing special. The screen shows the motor pulses and the sync pulse when the claw triggers the optical detector. Looks like the motor does not stop at all. It keeps going and the camera system relies on the sync pulse to start the time lapse. With the takeup running all the time no wonder that we have jitter. Possibly tap into the sync signal and use it to turn on the takeup motor after the picture is taken. Keep it on for a while to allow for the claw to move the film all the way to the right and then turn it off again. Will need some experimenting.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 09:30 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received the ribcage gopro mod kit and wow, this is some pretty serious micro surgery.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LYsM4AHTVQyy4TyN7
I did pretty good with it but became a bit impatient and tired in the end and damaged one of the sensor flex connectors. Should have left it for the next day.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ksPhTbgczp7bpqBZA
Sent an email to back-bone support to see if they would send me a new flex. Tried to repair it under the microscope and will check it tomorrow. It might work.
Checked the new stepper driver and ran it in half step mode.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0191BM6RI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The heatsink gets pretty hot if it is run continuously. The noise is lower than in full step but still annoying. Ordered a Toshiba microstepper (3A) and I think this one should do the trick.
https://www.robotshop.com/en/velleman-tb6560-3a-stepper-motor-driver.html
The noise is not that bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DP-RXqHfh8

The Wolverine stepper has 200 steps for 360 degree turn of motor shaft or 50 steps for one full cycle of the film claw (1:4 gear ratio). So if you want to do 1 sec time lapse you would have to run 50 steps per second or 50 * 8 (1/8 microsteps) or 50*16 (1/16 microsteps).

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2019 03:43 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have been busy...

Once again the research you are doing is really quite something.
Way over my head but again, thank you for the pictures and the time it takes. I love seeing this come together.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2019 04:50 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike. It is a slow progress but these things take time. Will get there eventually.

Jim Elder
Junior

- posted March 06, 2019 09:51 AM      Profile for Jim Elder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a summary of my experience with a Wolverine 8mm scanner purchased in Dec 2018 from B&H, with some tips on how to use the scanner (not included in the brief manual):

Using this scanner eventually gave me better results than
using a video camera to recording an 8mm projection, but I had to work with Wolverine to overcome some shortcomings; this device needs more product development.

The scanner is very sensitive to the write speed of the SD card used. If the SD card’s write speed is not fast enough, the recorded MP4 will likely have periods of what looks like frame jitter and ‘rolling shutter’ effects, caused by the scanner getting behind while waiting for writes to complete (meanwhile, the film advances and it is late taking the photo of a frame, or taking it while the film is moving).

The manual doesn’t talk about this critical dependency, but I eventually learned of it from Wolverine support people. Given the importance of the SD card performance, I believe Wolverine should include a suitable card with the device (but probably doesn’t to keep the price down).

I was able to make the scanner work (barely) using a SanDisk Extreme 32GB SD card rated at Class 10, U3, V30, A1 (many hi-speed cards are larger than 32GB, but 32GB is the maximum accepted by the scanner).

In addition, the card MUST be formatted by the scanner, and one must not delete files from the SD card (just read them), using only format to clear the card. Otherwise recordings will likely have periods of jitter.

It would seem much better if the scanner were to simply run slower, so that it would work with any SD card and never introduce jitter. I would prefer quality over scanning speed.

The scanner seems to do some ‘white balancing’, which sometimes causes colour casts. Unfortunately there is no way to control that.

The tension provided by the take-up reel may also to be a factor. I had best results when using the take-up reel provided with the unit. The (plastic?) clutch on the take-up reel was a source of occasional squeaking sounds, suggesting wear. Wolverine warranties it for 200 scan counts or one year (in USA only). It took me about 70 scan counts to scan about two-dozen 5-inch reels.

To handle a 7-inch reel, I mounted it on a pencil to the left of the scanner and scanned it in two halves.

I found that the frame position within 8mm films shifts. Rather than trying to track that with the scanner (using zoom and frame adjustments), I recommend zooming out a bit such that the field of view always encompasses frames, including wandering. This means you’ll capture frame borders (and even slivers of adjacent frames) but I found that to be acceptable, and if not, more easily handled using post-processing software on a computer.

I believe the scanner’s resolution of 960x720 pixels is more than sufficient to capture the detail in a 8mm frame. I tested this by looking at the spatial frequencies in a recording, using an FFT analysis (ImageJ). Even with a slight zoom, I was satisfied with the resolution provided by this scanner. (Higher resolution and ‘empty magnification’ would just make the output file larger, for no benefit.)

Once a successful process was obtained, scanning went fairly smoothly. The scanner chugs along at 2 frames per second. It’s best to be nearby when it is scanning, so that you’ll notice (usually by a change in sound) if it jams on a splice or whatever.

The device can rewind, but I used an 8mm projector to rewind, which is faster and saves wear on the possibly fragile scanner.

I used the scanner’s USB interface to read MP4 from the SD card (taking care not to delete any files; see above), and processed the files using software on a computer, eg., VirtualDub, Handbrake, After Effects, VLC. I experimented with AviSynth for dust removal and stabilization. Inexplicably, the frame rate setting on the scanner’s MP4 files is set to 30 fps, even though 8mm/Super8 is usually 16 or 18 fps; the file setting can be changed later using computer software.

Wolverine includes a brush to clean dust from the sensor, but I found it ineffective. It is much better to use a can of compressed air, which can blow dust out of the light-well.

Apparently the scanner is made by Winait in Shenzhen. Wolverine is the US distributor; other companies distribute the same product in other regions. The core of the product is apparently a dashcam, which could explain some of the peculiarities described above. It appears that Winait makes gradual improvements; the model I had, purchased in Dec 2018, had a motor-driven take-up wheel.

In summary, I was tempted to return the scanner as unacceptable, but decided that after overcoming problems the scan quality was ‘good enough’. Now I’ve got digital versions of the movies. As film degradation wasn’t as severe as I expected, perhaps in the distant future, if technology is even better, I’ll scan them again. I have a similar thought regarding the digital versions; I think I’ll wait for better, easier to use image processing/restoration software. Meanwhile, I kind of like the 8mm-projection look of visible frame boundaries, dust, and handheld instability.

My thanks to posters in this forum; many posts were quite helpful.

Wolverine, if you're lurking, thanks for your help too, and for trying to serve the low-cost market segment.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2019 11:54 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still going ahead with my mod. If nothing else, it is fun. Ran into a few snags. My gopro is still not up and running. Discovered a ripped sensor flex - ouch.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6u7fBToA4oswVE2v8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZahFa1jWqC9E6DCeA
Will try to fix it in the lab today. If not will order a new sensor. Not that expensive at $29.
Got a new motor driver with Toshiba chip. Capable of 256 micro steps. Should be pretty quiet.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mXZtsSNsakK7rGNJ7
Looking forward to trying the new camera setup and getting a few sample videos. Probably in a few weeks.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2019 11:55 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still going ahead with my mod. If nothing else, it is fun. Ran into a few snags. My gopro is still not up and running. Discovered a ripped sensor flex - ouch.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6u7fBToA4oswVE2v8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZahFa1jWqC9E6DCeA
Will try to fix it in the lab today. If not will order a new sensor. Not that expensive at $29.
Got a new motor driver with Toshiba chip. Capable of 256 micro steps. Should be pretty quiet.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mXZtsSNsakK7rGNJ7
Looking forward to trying the new camera setup and getting a few sample videos. Probably in a few weeks.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2019 12:51 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about the ripped cable.
Lets hope some crafty soldering will bail you out.

Looking forward to see what you do with the stepper motor in time.

Still very much looking forward to see what you come up with

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2019 11:10 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could not fix the flex (shaky hands). Ordered a new one. The new motor controller works pretty good but the ST instructions were wrong. Took me a few hours to figure it out.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/idSUsp6gRYvNtwVv7
I am running the motor at 1/4 turn per second (1 frame per second).
This is the controller spec:
https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00441590.pdf

Alan Taplow
Junior

- posted March 11, 2019 09:55 AM      Profile for Alan Taplow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need an ALARM SYSTEM to let me know when the machine is hung up on a bad splice. I think this may be a universal problem with all Wolverine users --- I'm away from the machine while it's running and it's stopped because of a bad splice. When I return and happen to notice it, I pull the film past the splice and it resumes. I then pay careful attention when editing to remove those frozen frames.

Needed --- a way of setting off a loud bell or whistle when a bad splice freezes a frame. I'm hard of hearing so currently need visual contact to realize it's stopped. Would love something which set off a loud noise or lit a flashing light. Anyone know of such a signal device or how to make one???

--------------------
Alan Taplow
ataplow@gmail.com

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC