8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Complete Godfather + Wizard of Oz coming my way

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 Complete Godfather + Wizard of Oz coming my way
Gilbert Lambert
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2017 09:34 AM      Profile for Gilbert Lambert   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi friends, I have a complete Marketing Super 8 The Godfather and a Complete Super 8 Wizard of Oz coming my way before May 10th 2017. It's a widow and she wants to sell those movies, but I told her I want to view them first to know the exact quality. As I have a Sound Viewer that can handle up to 360 meters ( 1200 ft ) in Super 8, I don't need to project the features. In case they are listed on eBay I will place the link on the forum. The Wizard of Oz should have great colours, but Godfather on Marketing Polyester ? That one will have fading I'm sure, I hope the prints have no scratches. If she agrees on decent prices I will list them with her asking price on the forum of course. So far she's a bit too expensive as she wants 250 euro for The Godfather and 350 euro for the Wizard. I guess she found the original invoices from her husband who passed away last year. These are probably the DERANN prices ? I never bought those titles before from DEREK at DERANN's, so I don't remember what he asked for them. To be continued I guess.. warmest regards and God Bless, Gilbert

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on how it was stored. many Marketing films titles, even on Kodak SP, if stored properly, will still have pretty decent olors today.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 12:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A recent full length print of this feature was/ is advertised on ebay.

It did show a good degree of fade as does my own. In fact aside from the later Raiders film, that I have seen,most now are turning pink to one extent or another. I have about 10 marketing abridged features or full features.
Not one looks anything like they once did now.

The Wizard Of Oz, by stark contrast, should look like the day it was made for colour if it is a Derann print.
The one I recently kindly acquired from a great collector here is a kaleidoscope of every colour of the rainbow. A simply wonderful spectacle.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 02:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, Wizard of Oz was also released by Niles.

So if this the case then it will be a big lost. Niles print does always look like a duped print or probably it is a duped print.

Hope not.

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Winbert, there is a huge difference between the Derann print and all others.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 25, 2017 02:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Marketing print of The Godfather has more of a sepia tone than the typical Marketing pink fade. The blues are valiantly holding on for as long as they can!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 02:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I can say the exact same thing for a few of my own.
Grease is still ok, Godfather as Doug says is "City Heat" like fading toward Sepia, Marathon Man, SNF and MOTOE are more towards Pink based on memory of fairly recent viewings.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 02:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the full length marketing films are on the way out. We are very lucky with our mean machine, (reviewed on here) but i think the fact that most scenes are outdoor very bright sunny scenes actually helps, you dont notice the fade so much. But on the Godfather, every full length i have seen images from have faded to near red. Such a shame as they had great titles [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2017 03:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They did indeed Tom, but on mine at least, I have to agree with Doug's assessment. My own copy is definitely shifting more towards a brownish sepia colour as opposed to red for this particular title.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 28, 2017 10:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Another point to all of this Gilbert, a,viewer doesn't typically give a true representation of what a film looks like on screen. It is far more critical in my experiences.

I have more than likely, the editor/ viewer you are referring to given its spool capacity, and believe me it shows up every flaw and every cleaning stain. Put these same films through a projector on a large screen, they can look often almost flawless despite the editor initially making you believe you have purchased quite a rough print.

I have noticed heavy lines appear on my Fresnel editors screen that simply don't appear when projected.
I'd always advise judging a newly acquired print only by what you see using a tried and implicitly trusted projector, never an editors mirror reflected screen which picks up all kinds of imperfections through its various mirrors before hitting its small fairly dull screen.

Hardly any prints left now will ever look flawless on an editor screen.

--------------------

Gilbert Lambert
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2017 10:42 AM      Profile for Gilbert Lambert   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Andrew, I noticed things on my viewer that I could not see during projection ... projecting is always better you are 100% right, I agree, kind regards, Gilbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 28, 2017 10:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a funny thing though is this, as I know of a few overseas dealers who only ever grade their prints by viewing them through an editor.

I often wonder how it is ever possible for them to do so?
One Dutch dealer I used to speak with a while back, particularly springs to mind.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2017 11:05 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course they eyes adapt when viewing a large picture in a dark room and will tend to cancel out any colour shift, as they do when going from sunlight to artificial light. That won't happen with a monitor screen in a lit room. Also I would think the lines show up more due to them being more out of focus when projected sue to lower depth of focus/field with a high aperture lens and greater throw (feet rather hen inches).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 28, 2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I can honestly say Brian, there isn't one film I've ever seen through any editor, where I can can gauge the colour better on the editor screen than I can while being projected by a bold bright lamp in complete darkness.

--------------------

Gilbert Lambert
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2017 06:22 AM      Profile for Gilbert Lambert   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well .. My Wizard of Oz arrived from the widow, colours are LPP , print seems sharp on my viewer so we can assume it's a DERANN ? No fading at all , print has some black lines , a bit rainy in the beginning of part 1, 3 and 4 goes away after a minute .. fine black lines do show up , movie has been watched by different people on different projectors that I can assume from the wear. Otherwise complete has been edited a few times to bigger reels, as now it came to me on 3x180 meter + 1x120 meter or 3x600ft and 1x400ft. English and with all credits. What the lady asked is too much, I told her. Next view will be the Super 8 feature of The Godfather 1 a Marketing Print that I know already, that's for Next week, have a great week end my friend collectors, Gilbert

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2017 01:13 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gilbert,

Just buy some filmguard to treat your copy and you will find after a good clean that most of the base scratches will disperse.

Most Marketing prints do turn to sepia as with most Kodak SP film stock. Unless it is printed on polyester which sometimes retains the colour balance better.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC