8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beaulieu 708 Film Gate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beaulieu 708 Film Gate
Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2017 04:17 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear friends and fans of the Beaulieu 708 EL,
I find this to be the best machine for the screening of full features.
But until today I donīt have the perfect trick to clean the film gate of surprisingly appearing dust which is coming while the film is running?
Do You have a good idea?
Thank You very much in advance,
Oliver

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2017 04:22 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oliver,
I use air duster aerosol cans to blow dust out as the films projected, a quick blast of compressed air normally does the trick, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 01, 2017 04:26 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same promblem. I noticed that a small "wire" seems to be stuck in the gate. But I have also sometimes dust coming from nowhere during the projection although I cleaned the film with Fimguard and the gate with alcohol and a duster. Mystery...

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 01, 2017 05:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For 2200ft full feature runs either try to incorperate an automatic film cleaning system like the Roy Neil type with a LPU or run the film through some filmguard just before projecting.
Both methods work well on a clean blower brushed gate to begin with.

You are correct though Oliver. These machines are excellent for screening full features in one run. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2017 06:07 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You very much for the ideas.
When I use an air duster do I use it from above (where there film moves to the film gate) or from the side? Is there a special position?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 01, 2017 06:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time i would ever use compressed air is when the lens and lamp are nowhere near the projector.
Seldom do i ever find the need for Air Dusters.
I much prefer to use various types of gate brushes. Some with a small blower fitted on the end.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2017 05:47 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver,
It's a bit of a quick blast and see if the dust moves, i normally find the side is more effective but you'll see on screen when you use the air the particles blow away, keep the can upright at all times though when using them as you'll get moisture blow out if it's used upside down, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC