8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who shares your hobby? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who shares your hobby?
Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 02:30 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watch my films alone, but my wife fully supports and understands my hobby. Since I've been ill the last two years, it means a lot to me to relax with my films or working on my projectors.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 04:46 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too watch my films alone,unless we,the members of the "Greek Mafia" as Tony Reypert calls us, gather together at each other's houses. Something that luckily happens about once a month.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 01:05 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stay well, Doug - Shorty

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 03:14 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis, im with you [Big Grin] [Wink]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 03:36 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other side of the coin my ex hated it with avengance to say the least.

I was often caught out hummimng the theme to a film I had reserved etc, so she would be on to it and a big oh no you don`t would come down on me.

Worst was when I was offered a mint barely used GS1200 cheap and she heard me on the phone. That was the end of that.

But my eldest son now again likes to watch more cine with me so thats really nice.

But he`s decided to stay out of the hobby more or less on the cost front with his family etc and just do it with me and just take a machine home now and again.

I was trying to get him a really nice machine to use but he can`t afford the films he would like anyway so hes staying LCD.

Just out of interest what is the youngest person you know who does cine now on a regular footing.

Of people who I know their ages I think the youngest is about 48.

Best Mark.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 05:26 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to inflict the hobby on family and friends whenever possible. I'm blessed with audiences more times than not, and try to make the show worth their while. Or at least a "keep or sell" vote!

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 05:37 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jake... its always a good thing to share your projectors and films with other people outside of your home. I have always found it to be a reward in itself. Good on you. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 06:02 PM      Profile for Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Email Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one shares and everyone shares. I'm not a projectionist. I acquire, conserve and digitize old reels to put online for free.

I get no help from anyone nor any family support. It is all what I can do...alone!

If I could put the hi res DVD's online I would, but can only put MP4. Even then YouTube takes half them down.

Film stock came as an offshoot from my still photo archive work in early 2017.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 03:46 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,and everybody else in this forum,you are most welcome!!!

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

This is on my web site
My interest in the classic movie industry:

I started to repair projectors in High School. Carried my

talents into the USMC 1968. I learned more.

1st wife had no interest in film. For 12 years I sort of gave up.

May 1990 my new wife introduced me to the Classic Movies Cinevent in Columbus, Ohio and we continue to enjoy sharing this hobby and making an annual trip. Within a couple of years this interest expanded to buying and repairing projectors and doing film presentations. It didn't take long to discover there is still a huge demand not only for repair work but new and used parts. I started getting increased requests for repairs during Cinevent visits and during the year as word spread of my dedication and commitment to meeting repair demands. Initially, I sold parts from my room and the dealer floor as word spread of the availability. Eventually the director (Steven Haynes) of Cinevent approached me and asked if I would provide an ongoing repair service at the annual event and he has provided visibility to those attending by positioning my vendor table on the main floor for the past years. Currently, I display parts and equipment for sale along with the projector repair.

Over the course of time i have supplied projectors, parts and service of Bell & Howell, Elmo, Eiki and other projectors to those in the USA. Sales on parts have expanded to overseas at locations in Argentina, Denmark, UK, Spain, Italy, Poland and the Netherlands. Currently, I purchase parts from 7 different suppliers. Initial orders started with the purchase of bulbs. The demand for parts and suppliers has increased significantly.

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC