8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm newbie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm newbie
Steve Erhardt
Junior

- posted January 14, 2018 06:11 PM      Profile for Steve Erhardt   Email Steve Erhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. As the subject says I am a 8mm and 16mm newbie. I have always wanted to get into this hobby and have finally decided to jump in. So what do I do now. I have read a little but not a whole lot. So where can I go to educate myself. I guess I need to know if I should jump into 8 or 16mm first. Which brand or type of projector should I look for. I really just want to watch old movies and old cartoons. Any help or directions would be appreciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 08:05 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome Steve ...just navigate around this site and you'll find a bevy of valuable information provided by many Forum members..especially by the ones from across the pond who have been collectors all their lives . Feel free to ask any questions - someone is always willing to help with an answer !
THANKS for joining up and adding another number to our league !
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 09:03 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would be better off starting and probably staying with super 8mm. Better supply and choice of films and projectors.

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 11:57 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, welcome to the hobby. I am somewhat new to the hobby as well (started in 2010 and absolutely love it). I find super 8 and 8mm film nicer to jump in to, partially because of my space issues. I think it could also vary a little on what genre and era of films you are looking for, some things are definitely easier to find on 8mm and vice versa. As far as projectors, of course there are varying views on what is best. I feel that the eumig 800 series projectors are an excellent one to start with for several reasons. They are very well built and tend to be lower maintenance then some projectors. They are typically kind to film and rarely leave scratches. Also they can be somewhat universal if you get a dual one, such as the 810D (super 8 & regular 8mm) and of course play sound.
I'm sure you will find a lot of useful information on this forum. And like most forums, a lot of opinionated ideas, like mine [Smile]

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 15, 2018 02:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
As you live in the US you might consider 16mm as films in this gauge are available in all sorts of types, particularly features.
Over the years, probably most of my 16mm feature collection has been imported from the US.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 15, 2018 06:36 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been a super 8 collector all my life and although super 8 is my mainstay, (there use to be a shed load of dealers and films available), i dabbled in 16mm some years ago but now do both, although i am restricting my collection of 16mm to a limit of some shorts and a max of 20/maybe/30 features as i am finding there is defiantly more titles on 16mm,as maurice said, there is a wider range of titles on 16mm and prices, (while they can be high) are generally better,especially if you stick with the dealers. Take some of the high start prices on ebay with a pinch of salt. Somme people start films on both gauges at laughable prices and then state unchecked, they are complete morons, while you can get good stuff on there, (i myself sell on there and prices start realistically and what they end at is up to the buyer), but as a newbie i think you would do well to stick with dealers to start with such as Steve at the Reel image, Barry at Inexpedient 8, Paul foster and for 16mm Dave Guest and Classic home cinema. With all of these blokes you will pay a sensible price. [Wink]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 15, 2018 09:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve lives in the US I think he may be more interested in buying from his own country.

--------------------
Maurice

Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2018 10:03 AM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Steve - welcome to film collecting! You'll have loads of fun buying and watching your films.

You asked if you should start with Super 8 or 16mm. That's a good question, and I think that mostly depends on what films you want. I started with Super 8 about 17 years ago and after a couple of years started collecting 16mm, as well. You said you're interested in cartoons. I collect cartoons, too, and most of mine are in Super 8. There are a lot of quality prints available in S8 at a decent price. A good 16mm print is almost always going to cost a lot more. On the other hand, there are many cartoons available in 16mm that were never released in S8.

It's there same situation with 2-reel comedies.

If you want feature films then maybe 16mm. Black and white features are readily available at a decent price. High quality color prints can be very pricey. Pretty much any film through the 1980s is available in 16mm. High quality color prints are also available in Super 8. The selection is more limited but again the price is better.

I'm going to say most film collectors start with S8 and then move into 16mm. Some collect both (like me), others sell off their S8 prints and go exclusively 16mm. You may have to collect for a few years before you figure out what you want to do.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Steve Erhardt
Junior

- posted January 15, 2018 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Erhardt   Email Steve Erhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say the response and information from this community is incredible. Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I think I will start with 8mm to get my feet wet. 8mm seems to be less expensive to get started with and there appears to be quite a few short films available like cartoons, 3 stooges etc.
I haven't really given much thought to feature length movies since I didn't really know what was out there but that is a great idea. I love the old black and white sci fi movies and the early color ones. I guess I will have to convince the wife that we need to add a theater room to house.
I will admit that I have to be careful of my spending. I have too many hobbies now. Currently I am restoring 50s VW bus and I have a couple vintage pieces of equipment I am working on.
There are a few projectors for sale in the Atlanta. I will be checking back soon for more advice.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 15, 2018 12:31 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, I might suggest the trip to Columbus Ohio (CINEVENT), which is held around Memorial Day, also the Western NY Film Expo in Buffalo (Labor Day) - The exact dates and information can be had at their respective webpages - There is also a nice gathering of film collectors in Wildwood NJ (upcoming in April) called CINESEA - If you are leaning towards the sci-fi genre, there is CHILLER THEATRE in Parsippany NJ - Again, check the mainpages for these - I specialize in shorts; 8mm, S8, some 16 - Any help and needs, never hesitate to ask for Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC