8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Kodak Presstape Splicer "notched cut"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Kodak Presstape Splicer "notched cut"
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 04, 2018 10:36 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always found it annoying to find these splices in 8/16mm films, as to me it seems fundamentally wrong to not entirely cut along the frame line, and create a frame that combines parts of two different images. I was unsure what splicer did this, but I've just found out due to an ebay listing that shows the instruction leaflet of a Kodak Presstape Splicer.

I'm sure Kodak felt there were advantages to this splice so I wondered if anyone actually likes it and feels it has attributes that beat an unobtrusive frame line cut? And do all Presstape splicers do this?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2018 05:20 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That might intend to avoid running the cut to the middle of perforation,causing the splice to "hinge" when passing trough the projector and jam/break.

IMHO that's why Kodak place the S8's perforation at the middle of the frame,not the frame line. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2018 07:40 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I didn't like about this splicer. I only used it for either repairing an existing tape splice, or adding leader, if cement didn't work. I've now sold it and bought a CIR splicer.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2018 04:01 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Nantawat about the possible reason that pushed Kodak to do this.
I also prefer the Cir (I have both), but because more practical, faster, more than the cut style.
However, the Kodak costs much less, remains a good economic choice, and I have never seen any anomalies in the projection.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 05, 2018 04:58 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just telecined about 6 reels of film for my neighbor. All the reals had been spliced with the Kodak splicer and press tapes. I have to say that visually the transition between each splice was very insignificant.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 05, 2018 04:58 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just telecined about 6 reels of film for my neighbor. All the reels had been spliced with the Kodak splicer and press tapes. I have to say that visually the transition between each splice was very insignificant.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2018 02:11 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the Kodak press tape splicer. I particularly didn't like that long piece of metal that sometimes tore a
film spocket. If I use press tape I much prefer the Craig Master Six Splicer. It makes for a better splice, although these days I primarily use my Dr.Catazzo splicer.
In the old days, I used the cement splice method,but with the film cement becoming outdated I switched to tape splice with IMHO better results.

--------------------
Joe

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2018 03:25 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Kodak Presstape splicer and I use it for regular 8mm and 16mm only. I use a Fuji or Cir/Ciro (not sure which one it is) for super 8. I like the splice to be on the frame line. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC