8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S 810D LUX sound question help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark S 810D LUX sound question help
Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2018 03:52 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I was hoping some of you fine experts could help me with an issue I have with a newly acquired projector.

Recently I bought a Eumig MarkS 810D LUX which to be honest looks in excellent condition. Has all the extras, sprockets, cables and mic (which haven't even had their packets opened) take up reel, manual and original box.

The projector seems to run fine in both directions. The lamp is fine and so is the lens.
I ran a Super8 through with magnetic sound.

I have the sound switch set to "S".

My issue is there is no sound when I ran my first film, even though it was a sound film.

Then I ran a second film and there was sound but with the volume set to maximum it wasn't as loud as it could be.
I then tried turning the volume knob back and forth and then the sound disappeared again. Re-ran the same film and the section that played sound now didn't.
Then towards the end of the film the volume "hum" became louder as if it was trying to pick something up and then went down again.

I can't remember what position the mixing dial was at but could that also erase prerecorded audio on a studio released film? I did turn by mistake when not looking, thinking it was the volume knob.
The manual states "But you can also erase a track without recording a new one, by switching the main switch to "forward position" without a microphone or other sound source connected.

I'm stumped as to what is happening and was hoping someone could help shed some light.

Could it be a bad connection?
Some faulty wiring (I had alook around the back and the wiring seemed okay to me)?
A build up of dirt somewhere?

Any help would be great and much appreciated.
Shame to not be able to use this machine.

Thanks,
C.

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Hilliker
Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2018 04:41 PM      Profile for Stuart Hilliker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Can,
With no film threaded and the projector running, try repeatedly pressing the red record button on the back of the projector. This can certainly solve problems like this.
Cleaning the volume knob with contact cleaner can also help.
If that doesn’t work, try removing the back cover and locate the (I believe white) cable that connects the sound heads to the amplifier circuit board. Remove the plug that connects to the circuit board, clean and replace.
It’s also worth replacing the large capacitors on the circuit board.
Good luck!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 19, 2018 05:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can
I think the manual is a bit ambiguous over the erasing. Even to erase you need to have the projector set to record by using the red knob at the left rear. You will not have erased any of the existing track unless you also pushed the red button.
As mentioned, WITHOUT A FILM, operate all switches and knobs a few times, particularly the record switch. This may cure your problem before you do anything drastic.

--------------------
Maurice

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2018 06:15 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your advice Stuart and Maurice.

I'll try what you both suggested and hopefully that'll fix the problem.
If not I'll look into cleaning the controls, I assume it has pots which I can spray the contact cleaner into.
I had a similar issue with my Elf ST/M and that definitely fixed the sound issue but obviously this is a different machine and setup.

I also came across this thread where you can get the soundhead cleaned/resurfaced/replaced.
The fist company mentioned I couldn't find online but the second I could:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006825#000000

http://www.summertone.com/products/heads-for-audio-tape-film

Thanks again to you both. I'll post if it has worked or not.

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2018 06:45 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've tried what you guys suggested and it hasn't fully worked.

But what's interesting is I turned the volume up to max and the hum got considerably louder which it did not do before.

Then I ran a film through it and there was some slight muffled sound.
I then reveresed the film the audio was much louder and a little clearer but obviously in reverse.

I can't quite figure out what's going on. All connections seem to look clean no I couldn't see any loose wiring anywhere.

Does any one know how i can remove the soundhead just to check it further.

Thanks

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2018 05:46 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys I've got to it work!! The sound is back.

I had a look at the capacitors and noticed nothing wrong and thought before I go too deep into this and start replacing parts I'll keep trying the record button on the side trick.

So like you both mentioned I ran the projector without any film but in reverse. In reverse it allowed me to continuously press on and off the record button (the button wasn't being locked when pushed in). After about 50 times I then ran the projector forward, and pressed the record button. But in forward it locks into place so to release the button I had to stop the projector which in turn releases said button. Then I repeated the process for about 30 times and it worked. Ran some film through it and sound worked perfectly. The volume level is good and so is the speed.
I think it just needed to reestablish the connection again.

Can't thank you enough gents for you time and advice.
Thank you very much,
Regards,
Can

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC