8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Contemporary Super 8 audio? (newbie)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contemporary Super 8 audio? (newbie)
Ben Zotto
Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2018 04:25 PM      Profile for Ben Zotto   Email Ben Zotto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I'm new here. Shot 16mm years ago in college and looking to maybe take up super 8 as a recording format for some experiments. Commercial releases have a couple different kinds of audio striping. But am I correct in assuming the modern Kodak stock for shooting does not have any sort of integral audio *recording* mag? I don't have a camera yet but I see for example many fine used 80/90s cameras that incorporate microphones, so where is that audio being directed to?

I'm trying to make sure I figure out how these pieces work so I don't go out and end up overinvesting or incorrectly investing in the camera/filming equipment. Thanks!

[ October 19, 2018, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Ben Zotto ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2018 06:17 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak used to sell sound cartridges in super 8 and you recorded the sound right on the mag strip at the same time shooting the picture, the film was prestriped in the cartridge...and it was larger than the silent carts. The current film you can buy as well as the new stock coming from Kodak is silent as well. You can buy old outdated sound cartridges but there is no way of knowing the quality of image you may get and if it is Kodachrome you can only get that developed as a b&w negative and edit it digitally. And it would be a very expensive gamble.

Ben Zotto
Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2018 07:12 PM      Profile for Ben Zotto   Email Ben Zotto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The current film you can buy as well as the new stock coming from Kodak is silent as well.
Thanks for the info Bill. So what I'm understanding is that older cameras that have audio paths were just designed for stock that's no longer available. I'm not super interested in experimenting with expired or mystery stock, so it sounds like the contemporary process is to just capture audio independently somewhere and then figure out how to sync it up later. Cheers.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2018 09:10 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that old sound super 8 cameras will take the silent cartridges though....so they (the cameras) can still be useful depending on the features they have. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC