8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » PS-1000 Problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PS-1000 Problems
Erik Runge
Junior

- posted March 16, 2019 11:50 PM      Profile for Erik Runge   Email Erik Runge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. First post and I am a complete novice when it comes to projectors. I've bought about 5 in the last few years, only to find they're inoperable and not salvageable. I've come to realize that what I was looking for, a super-8 projector WITH sound, was hard to find at a reasonable price.

I picked up a Canon PS-1000 recently, hoping it'd work, finding out that not only did it not, but the main belt inside was completely missing. I found a seller for a replacement belt (http://van-eck.net). I managed to disassemble just enough of the inerts to get the belt on the main drive wheel. I wound the belt around and got it all spinning up great. I was thrilled. I put in one of my reels and started to play. It did play and it did have sound, but about every half second, the display would slow down making the picture streak up the screen.

See pictures/videos here: https://imgur.com/a/C9yRDo5

I tried multiple films of varying length but still see the same effect.

So my questions: Does anyone know what might be causing the issue and how to fix it? I know the inside is dirty, but I don't know how to start cleaning it properly - is there a good (easy) way to clean the inside (without disassembly)?

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2019 09:42 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erik, what happens when you press down the loop former? This machine is a slot load! I used to have one and I had no problems!It was a nice machine! Let me know! Leon.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 17, 2019 12:59 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric...The PS1000 is an auto-feed not a slot load. I don't have mine any more but I've owned 2 of these projectors. I must congratulate you on getting the new belt installed. That's no easy task with this projectors complicated belt system.

I agree with Leon that it appears to be a loop problem, but unfortunately I don't recall there being a loop restorer on that machine. You might try pushing on the "film damper" that the film goes over before inserting into the feed assy. It's indicated on this picture below...or also try quickly turning the take-up reel clockwise this will put a slight tug on the film going thru the projector and sometimes reset the loop.

-

PM me if you need a complete manual for this projector. I have a PDF version I can send you.

Here's a video of my Canon PS1000 that I initially used for telecine transfers many years ago. Shots of loading the film starts at 1:44. The film should be inserted into the feeder slot prior to turning the projector on as you can see in the video. Also use the built-in trimmer to trim the edge of the film before inserting.

https://vimeo.com/9121730

[ March 17, 2019, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Erik Runge
Junior

- posted March 18, 2019 08:41 PM      Profile for Erik Runge   Email Erik Runge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what happens when you press down the loop former?
@Leon - sorry - what's the loop former?

quote:
You might try pushing on the "film damper" that the film goes over before inserting into the feed assy
@Janice - I do notice that the film damper is jumping up and down sharply and significantly. It's no where near as smooth as the video you posted. You suggest pushing it down once before starting? or holding it down somehow?

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2019 02:06 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like it keeps losing lower loop,is it?

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2019 06:11 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Erik,

You say the projector is dirty, does the film path clean? if not use 90° alcool to clean it and wait the alcool evaporate before putting a film in. does eveything oil, wenn it run do you hear a mecanism sound? Often to cleaning and greasing make a big difference.

[ March 20, 2019, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Pierre Mdihi ]

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2019 12:45 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does make a difference! Keep your machine nice and clean! Anything that comes in contact with the film must be clean! Like Rollers, Guides, Heads, pressure plate, aperture plate, sprocket wheels. To clean just use alcohol and cotton swabs! That does the job!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2019 03:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first sound projector is a PS-1000. The original belt was slipping last I tried running it; perhaps I should put a mark on it and make a video of it in motion since the path is so ridiculously complex. Erik, for you to get that sorted out is no small feat.

The other issue is the mechanical range of the framer is out of alignment and my projector is unusable now because the film frame can't be kept within the aperture.

If anyone ever finds a service manual for this machine, please, please, and please again let's get it posted here on the manuals portion of this site.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC