8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 20 Pictures (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CineSea 20 Pictures
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2019 12:39 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Next time, come for real if you can [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 04, 2019 01:07 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I get over there next week, I'll re-convince my old mates to pay us a nice visit - Shorty

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 04, 2019 04:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Blob". This was a new experience, .... it was printed to 16mm from a digital source.

Claus, I still don't get it. Does it mean, a new print taken from Bluray/DVD source?

Can somebody let me know how much is the cost for 90 minutes of 16mm (and perhaps 8mm too) and who can do that job ?

--------------------
Winbert

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2019 04:43 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES , it is a 16mm print " struck " from a Bluray disc .

I know it cost me nearly 500.00 ( USD ) for 1000 feet of 16mm film . But , I enjoy the film .
Recently I had the Overture walk-in music for Roger Corman's " HOUSE OF USHER " made as well as a 30 min. digest of GODZILLA , KING OF THE MONSTERS .
Nice stuff , THE BLOB was very good color , sound , the works !

--------------------
Dave

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2019 08:08 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For our Friday screening of "The Blob", Geoffrey ran it using change-over on his pair of Eiki 5500 Xenons, which produce a bright, very stable image. Here they are with the cabling in place:

-

A special 'thank you' to David Lucidi for his efforts in creating posters and bringing the giant sacks of popcorn for our enjoyment. His daughter seemed to have a great time too; she got to use the hotel pool when she wasn't in watching films with us:

-

David also brought this strange creature, the 16mm Kalart-Victor model 25. Now, if one were to call a projector design "backwards", that would normally sound like an insult, but in this case, it's the truth. How about a film path that runs from the rear reel to the front?...

-

...and look at the gate area. The film veers sideways before hitting the pull-down. It's not a projector one would hand to a beginner in the hobby, but, that said, it produced a pretty image, as long as you survived threading it.

-

We all know what posters can cost when they are in good shape. Here's a fine example of monster-movie art:

-

"One day, all this can be yours!"...if you collect for as long as Dr. Caruso:

-

As always, little nuggets from the 8mm past on display at his table:

-

-------------------------------------------------------

On we go, in a bit...more to come.
C.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 05, 2019 08:37 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lucidis are wonderful folks and David does so much to help CineSea work as well as it does.

I realize some will balk at the thought of a 16mm print from a digital source, however The Blob looked spectacular. I would never have known....

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 05, 2019 02:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know it cost me nearly 500.00 ( USD ) for 1000 feet of 16mm film . But , I enjoy the film .
Good to know this is possible, I am sure there is no cost different between B/W or Color, isn't it?

If I am using a simple math a 1000 ft = $500 of 16mm, this means the same cost for 2000ft of 8mm. Furthermore to make a 600 ft 8mm digest (30 minutes) will be $150. Will that math correct?

Is it possible to strike 8mm nowadays?

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 05, 2019 03:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I think it's not possible on super 8. Keep also in mind that with super 8 you would have to add magnetic stripping and record costs.

--------------------
Dominique

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 05, 2019 04:54 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Dominique is correct. That service is only offered in 16mm. If you'd like to continue to discuss this, kindly start a new topic.

Doug

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2019 11:40 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where there's film, there's work to be done. Splicing, cleaning, winding...you know the routine:

-

Of course, some winding requires a bit more horsepower. Geoffrey's motorized 35mm Goldberg winder was definitely up to the task:

-

His portable (relatively speaking) 35mm projector is always a pleasure to look at, both mechanically and on the screen. Watch your fingers, though; a 16mm might give you a "nip", but a 35mm can cause real injuries if you are not paying full attention when using it:

-

A new friend joined us, a man known for all he does in restoring and re-issuing 3-D films, Bob Furmanek (right) here with John Capazzo:

-

As always, the search goes on for hidden treasure...

-

...or how about cheap treasure? Have WE got a DEAL for YOU!!! 5-dollar prints, how is it possible...

-

...get them while the gettin's good:

-

We mentioned popcorn earlier. David Lucidi, being the proud owner of a real commercial popper, always brings these giant sacks for our cinematic experience. We never run out of popcorn...

-

---------------------------------------------------------

That's it for this one; more to come.
C.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 06, 2019 12:50 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any bets as to which popcorn was more popular?

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2019 04:55 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie style! Nice thread of the event happenings.....I’m hoping to make it to one of these sometime. [Smile]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2019 10:30 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"An army travels on its stomach"...definitely applies to us too! If you've followed these shows, you'll note the "yin/yang" we have going on:
Friday is the more "formal" screening, doing the feature, but we take it easy when it comes to food, ordering pizza and sandwiches and just enjoying ourselves in the room.
Saturday we go on the town for a real dinner, and the screening afterwards is then an open affair, with people bringing reels of what they wish to show.
It makes for a good combo of the planned and the casual.

Saturday dinner was at a place we knew well: Alfe's:

-

It's always a bit of a challenge when 'the hungry horde' shows up all at once, but a nice evening was had in preparation for the upcoming night of film:

-

-

-

-

-

-

After dinner, the screening room beckoned...

-

--------------------------------------------------------

Two more: The Saturday screenings and a wrap-up.

C

--------------------

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2019 10:41 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You for the images

I wish I didn't live so far away!

BZ to all.

(BZ is a Royal Navy signal sent from the Ministry of Defence when something amazing has happened and everyone has done a brilliant job. Bravo Zulu)

You could have posted me some popcorn [Wink] [Eek!]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, thank you.

Maybe next time we can send you a "care package" of popcorn :-)

Claus.

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2019 10:22 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After dinner, the Saturday screening commenced. Beer, wine and soft drinks were procured, along with snacks and some home-made cakes. This would be the "Saturday Mix" of different reels, making for an eclectic evening full of surprises.

Before we started, Doug made a few remarks, summing up our good fortune in having gotten into the Shalimar on such short notice. Also, an announcement was made about a possible other festival, but I will leave it up to the parties involved to talk about that...

-

Some classic color cartoons are always welcome:

-

A film, however silly, near and dear to my (Danish) heart: an excerpt from "Reptilicus", the one and only monster movie ever attempted in my little land:

-

A great-looking "Little Shop of Horrors":

-

-

...and "The Addams Family", in keeping with the theme...

-

How about this one: a sound check film for the Elmo 1200 GS. It couldn't have found a better audience:

-

...a beautiful 35mm Bollywood trailer in glorious Tech-looking color:

-

------------------------------------------------------------

A few more screen shots coming...

C.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 09, 2019 10:27 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always impressed by pictures taken during a projection. My caméra doesn't allow me to do that.

--------------------
Dominique

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2019 10:34 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Dominique; I use my Iphone for this, and then crop as needed afterwards. Not ideal, but it is less disruptive than me trying to set up my big Nikon and do it "for real" during the showings.
C.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 09, 2019 11:16 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a scene in Reptilicus where the monster is attacking, crowds are fleeing across the Langebro Bridge and the operator decides to raise the bridge resulting in numerous people plunging into the river below. That man's torment is one of the greatest moments of acting in the history of cinema.

Doug

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2019 11:36 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Saturday screening went on.
We enjoyed some Charles Bronson in 1975's "Hard Times":

-

...some vintage comedy with Patsy Kelly and Thelma Todd:

-

...and "What's My Line?" with the one-and-only Groucho:

-

A training film about how to run 16mm film got many laughs:

-

...and "Mr Bean" in 35 mm was quite something:

-

It was an altogether terrific evening with a great mix spanning decades of film.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Some last images and thoughts coming up.

C.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 09, 2019 11:57 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,

Wonderful! Hard Times is a nicely edited 400' german language digest that I re-recorded into english.

Doug

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2019 01:12 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Sunday, CineSea 20 was done. It was a show to look back on for several reasons: we had more attendees, we had a new home at the Shalimar, gotten, seemingly, against all odds...the mood was one of appreciation and optimism, seeing how we had weathered the storm and made ourselves comfortable in the new surroundings.

35 mm has gone from being a one-time attraction to being a regular part of the screenings (a big 'thank you' to Geoffrey for all that work) and we can only expect more wonderful showings in that regard. We can now say that we offer Xenon projection across the board, from Super-8, through 16 to 35.

Just to end, these images. Some stills of us crazies who keep coming to this little seaside town in 'Jersey, all for the love of film. Apologies for anyone (or anything) left out; rest assured you will eventually "make the picture".

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

A big "Farewell and See You" until CineSea 21 in the Spring; if you haven't been yet, start making plans and come join us:

-

As always, thank you for looking and reading.
Claus.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 09, 2019 01:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You seem Indeed to be more than before. Good news. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Dominique

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2019 05:43 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bollywood trailer in 35mm

What was the name of it exactly

That music was really good HELP so I can find it!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC