8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Jurassic Park complete super 8 feature and others (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Jurassic Park complete super 8 feature and others
Alexander Prell
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2014 11:29 AM      Profile for Alexander Prell   Email Alexander Prell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I am selling my print of "Jurassic Park" -
brilliant colours, great movie, complete version
but no magnetic stripes (mute) - I have taken the sound
from the DVD - film has fantastic sharpness
Price: 300€ plus postage (UK is 25€)
thanks for your interest

[ March 23, 2015, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Alexander Prell ]

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2014 12:32 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!!
PM sent.

Regards,

Maurizio

--------------------
Maurizio

Alexander Prell
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 10:36 AM      Profile for Alexander Prell   Email Alexander Prell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still availlable...
Also for sale is the rare full feature of
"Robin Hood" with Kevin Costner
german print, very good colours and fantastic sharpness
mute (no magnetic stripes fitted - sound taken from the DVD)
for 375€ plus postage Europe about 25€
if interested please let me know

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't get how you sync it. I have a sync box, but if you need to start it at exactly the right time, I'd go crazy. If it's off sync, it just annoys. Please someone tell me how you sync it

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, I usually rip the DVD to a laptop (video and audio). I open the file in quicktime and decide on a visual cue. Generally a studio vanity or opening title. Sometimes they differ between the theatrical and the home video release. Then on the laptop, once I've decided which is my cue frame, I advance the sound by 12 frames as this is my eye-to-hand reaction time and let the file on pause. I then start the projector. Once the cue appears on screen, I press play on the laptop. As I've been doing this for years, I'm getting in sync most of the time. If not, I keep both the projected image and the video in my sight concentrating on cuts and speed up or slow down the projector until cuts on screen and on the laptop are in sync. As there's no sound coming from the projector, the speed changes are not being noticed by the audience. It's up to you to keep the projector in sync with sound, not the other way around.
There might be more sophisticated methods but this works for me. If it ain't broken, why fix it? So no need to reinvent the wheel.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly as you describe Vidar and for each and every reel.
It basically relies on you pressing the start button on your DVD soundtrack machine at exactly the right time to a split second...then due to pulse sync, it will stay matched.

As said the problem with this, especially on a GS1200, is you are having to do this every 55 minutes or so due to the change in 1200ft reels.

May well be great for a show piece at a convention, but not exactly ideal for casual viewing at home.

For me, by the time you are having to do what Jean-Marc describes above for each and every reel of every film you may want to watch... you may as well just show the picture as well as the sound, through a digital projector and sit back and relax.

I love film but really could not be bothered doing this for my screenings unless I only had to do it once as the entire film fits on one reel. For me that limits me to 3000ft (around 2.5 hours) but for a GS1200 owner thats every 55 minutes or so!

I dont mind spending an age syncing for doing re-recordings because at the end of the event, you have an improved soundtrack from digital source for the life of the film but mute prints just would not work for me.
Even less so if I was an Elmo GS1200 owner.

[ February 20, 2015, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PM SENT ALEXANDER.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 11:38 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the explanation ... I think I'll stay clear of this, as I hate unsynced films and it would probably drive me crazy :-)

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 02:53 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Vidar.What an outrageous idea this was,to release expensive super productions without a soundtrack,to keep the cost lower !!!!and collectors did and do buy them.(So,it was not so outrageous!!) But it takes us back a few decades when we were trying to dub Abbott and Costello Castle one reelers from soundtracks recorded off the tv.

Alexander Prell
Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2015 01:30 AM      Profile for Alexander Prell   Email Alexander Prell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PAUL - I HAVE SENT YOU AN EMAIL PLEASE ANSWER
writing to you here not possible

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 20, 2015 06:17 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the above comments about the fact that it is painfull to Watch a film if you have to keep constantely an eye on a syncronisation system that needs to be adapted from time to time. I prefer a normal quality sound track than a better one that would distract me from watching the film.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2015 09:49 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, if the projector is quartz synced, you don't have to keep an eye on the sync: not even from time to time. As long as everything works the way it should, perfect sync is guaranteed thruout. The only care is the start of the film, but then again it is possible to have a semi automatic start whereby a cue beep on the audio soundtrack leader makes the projector (tipically: a GS 1200) switch from pause to play mode: provided the projector had been cued on the very same countleader as the beep is placed on the soundtrack, sync is perfect since the very beginning. Not hit and miss, non chasing after the sync. After that screening a stripelss print is no bigger effort than screening a striped one. And the advanatges far exceed the drawbacks. And - hey! - DTS in movie theatres used to work in almost the same way, after all.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 20, 2015 10:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
But then you are having to pause the soundtrack every 60 mins Maurizio and then pick up the sync again on each and every reel.
Quite a task on "Gone With The Wind" I would have thought unless you create a separate digital track for every reel change with a cue mark etc?

What would work is a digital audio player that could start and stop instantly from an optical sensor fitted to the PJ close to the sprocket hole that could detect a painted cue mark on the edge of the film. (Light & Dark from the normal transparent frame to then a single frame edge Mark painted black).
Don't suppose that would too difficult to engineer into the PJ in this day and age. Sensor would just have to linked to the motor drive circuit so it only receives power to it whenever the projectors motor is running. Wherever the sensor is mounted you would just count the number of frames to the gate and advance or retard the digital soundtrack by the same distance in time from. You may need one optical sensor on both sides of the film, one starting the digital track and one for stopping it on the last frame of every reel in an instantaneous manner.

At least then, you would have a fully automated system of syncing.
I reckon it could easily be linked to my DAC 3 start/ stop function button on my PCDJVJ set up. Trouble is I would then have to buy a new house to fit all the gear in each time I watched a film! Lol.

I suppose it would work well for those with dedicated Cinema rooms in their homes though.

Other than that it's back to a long play unit again for a GS1200 and very big reels to keep it to one cue point only.

I have seen the "Reelporter" design and Long Arms that can be purchased for the GS from Wittners etc,but I just feel you would be inviting trouble onto the projectors motors and drive circuits using these.

--------------------

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2015 11:15 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These used to be available with mag stripe on laminate print

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 20, 2015 11:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have seen striped prints of this on e bay myself Peter. One was being sold from Ireland last I think.

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2015 02:33 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, indeed I do have DVD versions of all my stripeless titles, which are specific for this task: in the case of Titanic, for example, I broke down the film according to the reel changes on the projector. Each has got a cue mark/beep on the start leaders so re-syncing at every reel change is no hassle. Sure it's time-comsuming when you have to prepare these specific DVD's, but IMHO it's a one-time task and I think it's worthwhile.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 20, 2015 02:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You sound well prepared Maurizio! It would just be the icing on the cake if it could all be automated if it was my own set up.
As I say Maurizio, it doesn't seem impossible, not by any means.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2015 03:35 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, I didn't know the elmo could be controlled like this. Where do you put the beep in time?, is it 18 or 24 frames ahead on the front leader of each reel. The dvd is then edited with this beep at the same interval (in time) which switches on the elmo, to sync with that part of the film. I have some features without sound including Jurassic, but mine are on very big reels so no breaks, this means I could use this idea to start with the leader having a beep like you explain. I like to know more about this, it sounds brilliant. What software do you use to edit up the dvd and add the beep ?.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 20, 2015 03:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, striped leader.. of course! that'll do it!!

So now all I would need is a non scratching Elmo GS with perfect green guides, a pulse box, a feed shoe from Wittners and a full set of spare motors, mag head, solenoids and replacement circuit boards etc etc.
Better start saving! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 20, 2015 04:03 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, what seems simple and easy for you may turn to a nightmare for me :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry Dominique, but indeed it's easier done than described: don't let the description put you off! If you can grab a fully working GS 1200 and one of the boxes by "Pedro" (BTW: any news???) or one of the similar devices sold by both Wittner and FFR Film, you won't be disappointed.

Paul, RE your questions, my workflow is optimal for both features broken down into 4 or 5 reels (or whatever) and assembled ones: of course using the ELmo GS limits me to a 60 minut screening time. In both cases I use the original leader the print came with: I capture each part of the film (or the assembled feature) and every part has its own original countdown leader; this operation MUST be performed with a quartz controlled projector (see further). Then I capture the DVD PIX/Snd and break it down accordingly.

At this point, I sync up everthing between the S/8 Pix and the DVD's Pix&Sound (this also is useful to check whether a print is 100% consistent with the video or if some frames are missing, in which case I cut the DVD version accodingly).

Once S/8 Pix and DVD version are perfectly in sync, I put a start cue beep on one of the first frames on the leader usually No. 10 or 8 depending on which type of leader the print is supplied with. Of course there are no images or sound from the DVD version but this is not important. The important is:

a) the numbered leader is consistemt with the specific film part

b) the first frame of action on film is synced to the first frame of action from the DVD

After placing a beep on frame 10 or 8 I also put another beep (check beep) on the last numbered frame of the leader (usually 3).

Then I burn a "presentation DVD" to be used solely for this purpose.

At this point I am ready for the screening: I lace the Elmo and cue the leader on the No 10 or 8 frame on the leader; then I leave it in pause mode.

Step 2: I set the ESS selector on the back speed board control to the right and put the quartz-control box in stop/pause mode as well

Step 3: I release the pause button on the Elmo and, because it is slaved to the control box, the light will switch to preheat and the transport motor will not start (no damage possible on film)

Step 4: I start the DVD whose sound output is fed to an external amplifier via the control box for the quartz sync. As long as there is no signal on the audio output, everything stays the same from the point of view of projector control; but when the cue beep is fed into the box, the electronics inside will detect it and simultaneously switch the projector to standard running: perfect sync since the beginning with no need to tinker/fidget with the speed control knob; AND the sync will be controlled until the end of the reel/spool by the quartz system in the control box. SO you can sit back and relax.
As you see, apart from building your own disc sound source, there is not much more to do as opposed to a regular screening. And - oh! there is no sound head wear: of course you can keep the Elmo in optical sound mode.

To do all this I use an Adobe Premiere editing software: mine is a very old version but for this purpose it works perfectly.

I hope this helps. In case you have other questions, please ask.

--------------------
Maurizio

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys

sounds like an absolute nightmare scenario...how do the audience cope with it. stop ..start... Good fun though! [Smile] Incidentally, how is it possible to know that the DVD's content is exactly the same as the 8mm sound/synchro wise.

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 01:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be the same on any long feature Mark from that perspective using a GS, stripes or no stripes, given that you face a reel change every 55 minutes or so.

This is a high end user practice for those that want the best of both worlds by using the digital track while maintaining the beauty of film.

Not for us all, I get it, but you do have to take your hat off to those dedicated to the cause enough to go to these lengths, creating a tailor made soundtrack etc (in answer to your question).

True aficionados of our wonderful hobby!

Not a practice I see myself doing, but i have total admiration for those that do in their quest for perfection. [Wink]

I myself, tailor make soundtracks from digital sources, but only so I can re record magnetic stripe to a higher standard given the superb quality in today's lossless source material.

[ February 27, 2015, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2015 01:40 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew

thanks for the explanation - not for me though...even when I was "full on" in 8 and 16 - but as you say "hat's off" to dedication to that side of the hobby. Have to applaud it.

Mark [Wink]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very much so Mark.
Maurizio really knows his stuff regarding this fabulous hobby of ours.

It's a practice used many times I believe by Mr Clancy at the Ealing convention as a showpiece for Super 8 at it's very very best!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC