8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Jurassic Park complete super 8 feature and others (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Jurassic Park complete super 8 feature and others
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 05:37 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pass me the Blu Ray box set of 1, 2 and 3 please myself. £8.99 delivered when we got ours.

But if you just love film I can see this would be a really great title to own and do that with.

Though I could imagine I myself would be compulsively watching the synch and for scratches too on each viewing !!!!

I think the colour is better on the polys isn`t it, might just be me that I find most prints now I had manily on trailers granted muted colour wise much of the time, except for the Technicolour 35mm origionales ones which are still quite nice but still down on the colour.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be rude Mark, as I really do see your point of view having been a viewer of both methods of screening movies for many years,but this is a film forum website after all. So giving everyone the raised eyebrow treatment just because a modern box of stored data only costs £8.99 for what would be well over £1000 if on 6000ft plus of celluloid..doesn't really cut it on here I'm afraid.

It just comes across somewhat patronizing and condescending if I am honest.

As I say, I certainly don't want to fall out with our respected members on here for what are, after all, only points of view, but if you have moved on to more modern day methods of screening up to the point where you may even question why any of us would ever do this, then maybe you might just have forgotten why this FILM forum still exists.

It is a crazy hobby Mark, that I cannot deny, it also makes no logical sense why we do what we do and pay what we pay, but there are healthy numbers growing here by the day, so I guess whatever the reason, I and Maurizio are not alone in our total appreciation of real actual film.

As for the scratches Mark, what you describe very much used to be me, I questioned myself many times over "is it worth it", but then I got a successful formula of the right methods coupled with the right machines and now, I can happily and honestly say that I truly relax, just sit back and enjoy the film as often as I like, totally scratch free... until something else goes wrong! lol.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2015 06:06 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I just got my new print of JP on acetate and it realy is crap quality just a waste of good money, l should have got a poly print and thinking l will.
It has soft focus, bad green tinge, and balance track sound poor so l have to play in mono [Mad]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 06:07 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gone the opposite direction. I used to view only DVD and Blu-Rays, but now I rarely do. Film has magic, digital doesn't and that's also only my point of view and could be wrong for others. I get a really nice feeling when watching reels, which is so not there when viewing the digital.

Long live film

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 06:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Vidar, though when no film exists, I do still enjoy the movie, just not with the same thrill from the experience. [Razz] [Wink]

Again, I no have explanation as to why, but a movie I watch on film sticks with me forever, on DVD or Blu Ray, the same experience is very often forgettable, though I cannot quantify what the reasons for this are though, strangely enough.

[ February 27, 2015, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 28, 2015 01:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason that print of yours wants going straight back to wherever you purchased it from at these prices nowadays.

We all have to accept minor anomalies in film given the nature of what can be wrong, but when it is everything all in one brand new expensive feature, it is simply unacceptable!

--------------------

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

I have had no luck with these new prints and to be honest its not worth the drama of getting it replaced, l will just cut my losses l think.
With the money they cost you would expext quality.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 28, 2015 03:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very much so Jason!

Used prints kept in excellent order whilst laminated stock was still about, provide the best that can be found on the gauge I have found. I haven't purchased any new features nowadays, but I have purchased plenty of trailers and shorts, most of which have something that I am not 100% satisfied with be it the soundtrack or the colour rendition.

I think we were all spoiled by the quality Derann achieved on Super 8mm in their hey day. If you use these prints as the benchmark, I suppose we are always going to feel a little disappointed.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 01, 2015 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my point Andrew, you never know where you will be with a new or 2nd hand print, so the higher the prices go, the worse the on a fairly regular basis the fall.

I`ll admit I come from a perspective or being shafted, ( excuse me ) all to often. And there just bad luck too.

As prices go on up with certain films, so goes higher the fall.

I sat and watched Dune 10 feet wide on DVD the other must have upscaled well as looked superb and found myself getting the shakes and tears in my eyes etc and was totally immersed in the actual film.

I just worry that the hobby is pricing itself new and 2nd hand films wise out of a sensible zone so the chance for any newbies staying with it diminishes all the time.

I don`t think the ebay factor, and see it must have it etc with that doesn`t help the hobby.

Don`t get me wrong I absolutely love film but sadly silly prices push back anyone on a lowish income or with family, children etc back to only being able to try for cheaper, B+W washed out or colour often gone cheaper stuff.

There has come in recent years a real negative engery into cine that is all about money and screwing all you can out of it etc, on machines ( an even bigger gamble ) and films.

For me I definately feel a change in the nature of the hobby.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 01, 2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I entirely agree and fully appreciate your sentiments!!

You are not wrong Sir, the game is definitely changing and not for the better if you are an old school collector.

As said, I cannot EVER fall out with a well respected member of this forum over a point of view, so that will never be the case with you Mark, I just don't like to feel made a fool for the passion some of us still maintain for this absurd hobby on an 8mm forum.

I also can get very emotional, when totally engrossed in a film of quality, it doesn't matter to me whether that be on a Digital projector or an Agfa Sonnector. The directors objective will always be realized when the subject matter is gripping and well acted out!

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 01, 2015 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Andrew I think its some of that actual passion has been a victim of recent things.

Film has a lovely feel and qaulity to it for various reasons, and my eldest son is really getting in to, but I make sure its in a smaller way and mainly with me and my bits.

I don`t want him getting in too much of the buying and many pitfalls etc.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 01, 2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice Mark!

--------------------

Francisco Javier Herrera
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2015 03:55 PM      Profile for Francisco Javier Herrera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is unfair that this still for sale. It's a good impression and a good price.

-
 -
 -
 -

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 01, 2015 05:41 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no sound, Francisco. At that price, you don't expect a mute version of a sound film.

--------------------
Dominique

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 01, 2015 06:09 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the US a film without stripes is really of no use. Pedro's box will work for 25fps and the 50hz of Europe but in the US we have 23.997 fps and 60hZ so even if we did get Pedro's box it would have to be the expensive box. The one that costs over $500 US.
It does look like a great print and if it had the stripes it would have sold very quickly i would assume.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2015 06:39 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any of these mute prints. Is the stock they are on not able to take a stripe at all? Because FFR I believe still offer striping? I do intend doing some re-recording however and I can see doing this in the manner described because as long as you can see a video feed whilst taking the sound from a DVD, you can use the fine speed control on a GS to do a good sync...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 01, 2015 06:59 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks very nice, I wonder what the size of the picture is.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2015 02:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, It would cost a fortune to stripe a film of this length at Andec or FFR and then it would only ever be in mono.

No one is reliably pasting a balance stripe on ester stock.
Also if you send them a film that has ever been cleaned, especially using Filmguard, they will not be able to bond the stripe without waiting an eternity for the cleaner to eventually evaporate .

So unfortunately, even if you were willing to throw a good few hundred pounds in the pot to pursue a striped version with this particular film, then it simply just isn't that easy to achieve sadly.

[ March 02, 2015, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 04:33 AM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I sold a stereo sound print of Jurassic Park to a forum member in Cyprus and I have to say the colour and sound were spot on. I now really regret selling it.
I too have been stung many times with the quality of some prints, especially the ones purchased on eBay, but now and again I get a real surprise. I bought a print of Fantasia 2000 off eBay a couple of weeks ago and it is like new, the colour and sound are fantastic with no scratches. When I find prints of this quality it makes the hobby well worth it.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2015 07:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I agree Phillip, prints can be very hit and miss when purchased on e bay. Not helped, all too frequently, by sellers giving out woolly descriptions knowing all too well that their goods aren't A1!

Nice though when you do come across an honest, decent, transparent seller whether he or she genuinely can or cannot provide you with screen shots etc. Often just a photo of the manner in which the goods have been kept will be very reassuring I find.

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a shame about the striping. I took a closer look at FFR and they say they don't get into 'milling' the stripe path. We would call that 'keying' here. So it is glue on and hope for the best. They are also specifying preferred stocks. What a sad end to it all.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2015 02:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steven, mono only nowadays on pasted Polyester. For modern stereo prints, they are all on acetate stock but then people sometimes complain of a yellow tinge on these prints.
Also, I find Polyester prints are far smoother running through any of my projectors than Acetate due to the differences in thickness.

Someone needs to resurrect Dereks old formula and get it up and running again. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it sure was better than what we are left with now and of course it was formulated for the very same types of stock we are trying to get striped so at least it can be done, just with no absolute guarantee of quality.

This is especially true of the balance stripe as I am certain anyone who ever purchased any of the later prints will testify.

I don't suppose without milling though, there is any way around the problem of treated prints.

With all these processes required, then of course, the cost factor kicks in.. so back to square one.

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 03:22 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Mark and Andrew. And yes I have invented nothing, John Clancy must have used this method, or something very close, many times.

But believe me, it's worth the effort and the audience don't have to wait that long for the film to begin: from the point of view of the shownamship only (performanca wise), it's not more complicated than screening a regular sound print.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 02, 2015 03:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Your method might be the only option in the future Maurizio based on the reasons given above regarding today's striping options or rather the lack of them!

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 04:36 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its a strip of rust Andrew glued to the film. I don't know how you would "key" the film accurately enough to get it to stick though. The film would need to pass over something chemically abrasive within a thousands of an inch, or an abrasive wheel which you would need to make run true, within these tolerances, if my memory serves me correctly I saw this being done at Derann, but it looked like the film was passed closely to a small tank containing the already mixed liquid stripe, this was applied by what looked like a tiny wheel spinning at speed and this just flicked the liquid stripe in a straight line on to the film, and this passed through a long line of drying wheels either end of large cabinets, and then onto a spool at the end. I do remember speaking to Derek, who was a bit miffed with someone not giving him the complete formula, and as he put it, "they didn't tell us about the resin that should have been in the mix". I got the impression he was being given the run around, and had discovered what was missing. Now I think about it, it must have been more like a shellac or lacquer that's sticky and would evaporate to allow the stripe to stick and flex. Thing is could you still get these raw products now, I imagine the health and safety pen pushers would have stopped the manufacture of some of the products, or you would need certificate to get them.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC