8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » For sale: Elmo GS 1200 xenon. Totally refurbished SOLD (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: For sale: Elmo GS 1200 xenon. Totally refurbished SOLD
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the proud new owner of Ugo's Xenon GS1200 projector. I want to point out Ugo did a wonderful job packaging the machine for its over seas voyage, it arrived safe and sound:)
What a beautiful projector. I opted for the two blade shutter I wanted as much light on the screen as possible. Last night I watched my first feature Bonds "Gold Finger"
I screened the feature at 8 feet wide. What a nice transfer the quality was close to 35MM and what better projector to show off this title. Ugo's projector delivered plenty of light on the screen, I could have gone larger if I had the room. The GS delivered solid audio and runs very smooth and quiet. The picture remained very sharp through out the entire film. I forgot to mention how nice it is to watch a film in the correct color temperature. I am very happy.
I am amazed at Ugo mechanical talent and patients needed to rebuild this projector from the ground up. There is a good chance this Xenon GS owns the title of "top condition" of all Xenon GS1200 to date, it is better then new. I dont know how he does it.
Anyone thinking of doing business with Ugo he is a professional through and through. Thank you Ugo.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 14, 2016 06:38 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to the Fumeos?

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2016 07:17 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Alan G! It's no doubt Ugo did a great job, but the fact that it arrived safely and in great condition is a miracle in itself. Here's to many hours of screening heaven!

Alan R.-I was one of the potential customers for the Fumeo Classic projector that CHC was planning to produce; unfortunately, there were not enough people who agreed to commit to purchasing the new projector and the project was scrapped. Do a search on this forum and you'll see lots of stories (pro and con) regarding the Fumeo project.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2016 07:17 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2016 10:33 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Paul!!

I was looking forward to the new Fumeo as well sad it never made it.

Alan I still have the Fumeos but they are not Xenon:)

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 07:07 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I meant what happened to the Fumeos that Alan had purchased. I should have been clearer. Alan is the xenon multi voltage?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 07:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Alan G, you have some wonderful machines in your locker there now. Enjoy my friend!

As you say, Ugo is a man who clearly works meticulously. His project came under a little criticism over on another forum, but I was first to defend him. It is obvious to my eyes that this rebuild was of the highest order!
I am also in admiration of the way he allowed the customer to decide which guides they wanted fitted to the machine.
Ugo himself was obviously a fan of the modified guide safer set up, but he respected that some customers, for whatever reason, May wish for the machine to be kept absolutely as per original design spec.
Nice touch Ugo!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2016 12:14 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan the projector requires 220V ( I use a converter ) but auto switches between 50/60hz.

Thank you Andrew means a lot coming from you. Ugo is a master at his art and passions.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2016 02:00 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew Woodcock wrote:
"His project came under a little criticism over on another forum"

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 02:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it did sadly Ugo. Not so much YOUR work, but just a lack of conviction by the reader that these machines will still never be scratch resistant.

I tried my level best to convince, that in this case, there wouldn't be any such concerns Ugo.

Rightly or wrongly Ugo, not everyone is a fan of the GS1200. Even those that still have one or two of them.
For those that like them, they REALLY seem to like them.

It's pretty much the same with all machines I've found.
One man's pill is another man's poison I now seem to find myself increasingly saying these days.

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2016 03:05 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aaahhh yes, now I remember. Yes, someone had this opinion. No problem, that's the fun of the life. [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 15, 2016 03:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed Ugo! [Wink]

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2016 01:09 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Alan... thank you for your message!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 20, 2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now we all know that Florida is home to the best Elmo GS1200 in the world!
Well done Alan! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 01, 2016 04:13 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, i'll never tire of this post, Ugo's machines must be like buying a brand new projector from the factory. Fantastic.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 01, 2016 04:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It is remarkable the skill involved in these complete rebuilds right down to the frame.

Even more so considering the GS 1200 is without doubt, one of THE most complex machines ever made.

The only advantage any one would ever have carrying out this monumental task on a GS 1200 as opposed to some other complex machines issued by other manufacturers, is that the GS 1200 is an extremely modular build by design.

This, however, takes nothing at all away from immense skill required to achieve all what Ugo does here, which is of course, truly spectacular!

--------------------

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Elmo GS projectors have problems/risks of scratches due to the thread path? Or just the 1200?

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lower film guide where you insert the leader seems to be the main culprit. I replaced mine with a metal one from FFR. The other is the black plastic guide on a spring located on the bottom after the lower sprocket wheel. You have to keep an eye on it and make sure it is perfectly smooth where it touches the film...
Ugo makes modifications to his machines that prevent scratching as far as I know...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2016 07:49 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But is that a problem on all GS models, or just the 1200?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 01, 2016 09:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They are both highly dubious as a film path. Personally, I dont, and will never, trust any Elmo ever again because of my own experiences with their lethal film paths, but many will swear they're fine!!

Once they have been given the Ugo treatment, I'm certain this is true, but from original design, I'd be very wary indeed based on my own experiences, and many others it has to be said, with these.

[ May 02, 2016, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 11:52 AM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. I've been looking at Elmo projectors to purchase. Scratching is the last thing I want.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 01:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Many will say they're fine Raleigh, just not in my own personal experience of using them, that's all.

It took five of them though, to convince me! [Big Grin] [Wink]

I still have one ST 1200 m/o model, which I keep hold of just for my optical sound films. This has been the most reliable and kindest to films of any of the ones I've had, but even this throws up the odd surprise from time to time and always totally at random. My hand is never more than 25mm from the control knob when using it!

No amount of inspection or cleaning or adjustment has or will ever make a difference either as I've found. Guides and Rollers all have plenty of wear left in them also, so that isn't the issue on this either.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 03:01 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Elmo's scratching here is the facts, on the 1200 and 1200HD's the main culprit as mentioned is the second sprocket lower green guide. These can wear flat, hence why you dont see the scratch until it's too late, i always removed mine every 12 months or so and gave this area a thorough cleaning, obviously this is on top of the usual before and after each film show.
We were also fortunate enough to have learned of this problem many moons ago so we bought up a dozen of the rear guides, any new machines we bought, (3 in total), had that rear guide changed for a new one.
BTW, we have three of the 1200HD's & we do swear by them, i made a recent change but that didnt work out for me so we are sticking with these great machines. One of them now in its 34th year with me.

-

On the GS1200, (i myself have not been fortunate enough to get on e of these), i understand the culprit is the front guide which can now be replaced by a modified one from Van Ek services. If i had one of these machines that would be something i sorted before putting a film through. [Wink] [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 04:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I clearly respect all of your expertise, experience and outstanding knowledge of these machines Tom.

All I can say in response to these excellent suggestions, is some of the marks I have experienced from these in use must have been happening before the lower sprocket as I was, on occasions viewing the marks as they were happening before the gate!

Sometimes not even a scratch, more like a smiley mouth shape would appear right in the middle of the frame.
Stop the machine, do nothing, then restart the projector, the marks or lines would cease!

Maybe I was just allergic to the Japanese machines lol, who knows??

I had to change brand in the end if I wanted to continue collecting film. Since doing so, after some initial teething issues I have had, I can now finally relax when viewing the collection in the manner I enjoy.

I tried everything in my armoury to control the issues over the years, and though I could at times get to within 95% of complete satisfaction, it's only nowadays I can hand on heart claim 99.9% confidence in the machines I use.

We cannot of course, ever say 100% certainty for any mechanical construction that has a very delicate and unbelievably easily damaged medium running through it at speed, but 99.9 is as good as it gets I'd say from any machine out there.

I've seen no damage at all in these past 18months or so and that is the best and longest sustained period of time I've ever had throughout the years, since first only owning one Agfa sound projector.

I know there are people like Tom here who have had fabulous service from these machines, but to do so, ideally you would need a brand new inventory of spare parts as large as Tom has recently displayed over elsewhere. If you have these spares, or can gain access to them,maybe you'll fair well with one. If not, I would proceed with caution myself.

As for the GS, there are many more places other than the initial guide shoe that cause problems with scratching as they age. There is already tons of coverage regarding all of these various places on here in numerous threads over the years.
Edwin Van Eck has recently introduced new 3D parts that help with extra rollers etc within the new guides, but as Ugo himself here as pointed out, they are prone as a machine to scratching as all too many owners of these over the years will testify.
Whether or not the issue can be completely eliminated for good, remains to be seen I'd have thought.

[ May 02, 2016, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 04:54 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, that sounds like a weird mark, the smiley face [Confused]
i cant think what that would be, it is strange though because i have had some second hand films where there is a mark/scratch type that instead of being a line all the way through its as though the same mark is printed on each frame if you get my meaning. i have always been curious of what would cause this. i sent the prints back as being faulty.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC