8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Xanadu 600ft Low Fade (2 x 400ft) 2017 update review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Xanadu 600ft Low Fade (2 x 400ft) 2017 update review
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 22, 2017 03:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought i would pop up a 2017 review of this U8 80s nonsense fun movie.
From what i have seen many of these prints have faded but this one must be on low fade stock as there is no fade at all and it does have great colours good sound,(if it wasn't put through my Pioneer amp it would be lacking in bass), image is OK but like Northsea hijack is little less sharp than you would have expected on a late releases. It is slightly masked but not letter-boxed. A huge flop a the cinema and it never did revive Gene Kelly's career in films but it does have the very nice Olivia Newton John and a great 80s music soundtrack form both the the star and ELO. Here is the plot edited for this version,
The film opens with a large mural of the Nine Muses of Olympia coming to life, with the women emerging from the painting and flying into the sky. One of them returns to Earth.
Sonny Malone is a talented artist who dreams of fame beyond his job, which is the non-creative task of painting larger versions of album covers for record-store window advertisements.
At work, Sonny is told to paint an album cover for a group called The Nine Sisters. The cover features a beautiful woman in front of an art deco auditorium (the Pan-Pacific Auditorium). Earlier that day, this same woman had collided with him, kissed him, and roller-skated away. Now, Malone becomes obsessed with finding her, but discovers that no one knows who she is.
Walking near the beach, Sonny befriends Daniel "Danny" McGuire, (Gene Kelly), a has-been big band orchestra leader turned construction mogul.
The two find an old auditorium where they image old time bands and an 80s band performing & agree to become partners to revive the ruine into the club Xanadu.
In the finale, Kira and the Muses perform for a packed house at Xanadu's grand opening, and after the final song, Kira and the Muses all return to the realm of the gods in spectacular fashion. With their departure, Sonny is understandably depressed. But that quickly changes when Danny asks for a drink for Sonny from one of the waitresses -- a waitress who looks exactly like Kira. Sonny approaches this seeming double and says he would just like to talk to her. The film ends with the two of them talking, in silhouette, as the credits begin to roll.
BTW,The Universal studio logo is in there going through the ages and also, unusually all the end credits. All in all a great little hour of nonsense fun & in my case a great U8 print all be it a little grainy.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Meyer
Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2017 06:12 PM      Profile for Steve Meyer   Email Steve Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW Awesome print. Very nice. All that I have seen so far are red.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2017 08:04 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 x 400ft reels also have a red tinge but the sound is still good and the songs that are featured are great to watch and hear.I'm glad to own it no matter what the quality is like,I like this film even though it was a flop :-)

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 23, 2017 01:21 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does have a very good soundtrack. I think it was odd to see Michael beck, the hard man of the warriors, playing such a nanby panby role. He certainly didn't do many movies. This particular version is a fun movie. I did see the feature at the cinema when it came out and it did make me cringe a little here and there but U8 did a good job with this version.

[ December 29, 2018, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 23, 2017 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have the full song "I'm Alive" at the beginning? Also, is the full song of Xanadu in there as well? Also the song "All Over The World"?

That's a strange one to have the full credits, though, especially for a Universal 8 release.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 23, 2017 01:23 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes to all three of those Osi, [Wink]
It is very unusual for end credits, but the music plays through the duration and is complete with the old fashioned style "the end" . Probably one of U8s best edits along with High plains Drifter, (2 x 400 of course).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 11:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's apparant that the editor of this digest was obviously an ELO fan! (Good man!) [Smile]

[ August 29, 2017, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 28, 2017 01:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Thanks for the updated review. Please....if a title has been reviewed in the past (check the index), do not start a new topic. Just add on to the already existing thread.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 03, 2017 03:55 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will do doug. No problem [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 03, 2017 04:36 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, sir!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC