8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Return of Count Yorga / Die 7 Pranken Des Satans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Return of Count Yorga / Die 7 Pranken Des Satans
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2019 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -
UFA 400' Color / Magnetic Sound / 18 minutes

The digest starts with young Tommy (Phillip Frame) chasing his ball in the graveyard, he runs from rising corpses and into Count Yorga (Robert Quarry). It then cuts to a Halloween party where the Count meets Cynthia Nelson (Mariette Hartley) and Dr. David Baldwin (Roger Perry). Next scene Yorga sits and meets with his vampire wives, then sends them to attack Cynthia's house and kill her family…

Cynthia awakes at Yorga's mansion, while her sister Jennifer finds the bodies of their family. Next, Cynthia hears voices calling her name and rambles through the rooms. The police (Rudy De Luca and Craig T. Nelson) conduct an interview at the scene of the killings, as Count Yorga expresses his love to Cynthia. Next, the cops and Reverend Thomas (Tom Toner) form a plan as they head to Count Yorga's, followed by a walk in the garden with Yorga and the Reverend, which doesn't end well for the priest…

While Dr. Baldwin and Cynthia try to find a way out, they run into Yorga's monstrous henchman Brudda (Edward Walsh), and the cops face the vampire women. The digest ends with the final struggle between Yorga and the doctor, and a surprise ending…

Although the edit of this digest could have been better in my opinion, I'm happy to have it on super 8mm. My print has retained good color and the German language soundtrack has been re-recorded to English thanks to a perfect audio edit by Doug Meltzer, and excellent re-recording by Lance Alspaugh. I'm grateful to both of them for their help…

-
 -
 -

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2019 08:53 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review and a nice print! Rare digest!

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2019 11:22 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice review Joe!

Thank you for sharing this title. I am always on the hunt for German releases with nice stock for re-recording to English. Do you know if your print happens to be on Agfa stock?

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2019 11:35 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Evan, I don't know exactly, but I assume its a low fade film stock. The only things I see on the sprocket edge of the film are the number 4 and an S that both repeat every so often. I've had some other UFA prints that were faded pink or red, so I got lucky with this one...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2019 02:29 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the 4S refers to Agfa 4S stock which is usually lowfade. I own another German print which also appears low fade and is either on 2s or 3s

[ September 24, 2019, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Evan Samaras ]

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 12:29 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review Joe! It's nice to hear about the fellow forum members contributions to your print. They are also excellent at what they do. I have been looking at edge markings for a while now and 4 S would normally show as AG4S but you may not see the AG due to the sprocket perferations. So You have an Agfa print. Great screenshots as well! Keep them coming!

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 05:19 AM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

We had the fun and privilege to have Robert Quarry sign in at our Celebrity Forecourt at the Vista Theatre in Los Angeles 19 years ago. It was a great night to have this iconic 70's horror star watch the first Count Yorga movie with an enthusiastic live audience.

-

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2019 06:44 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lance, that must have been a wonderful screening! thanks for posting the photo! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 06, 2019 12:32 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's fascinating to see that there was a German Super 8 release of this film. I wondered if this might mean that 'Count Yorga, Vampire' also appeared on Super 8?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 06, 2019 03:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

That's always a possibility, however I've never come across that title on Super 8mm.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 06, 2019 06:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yet ... [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 14, 2019 09:38 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice read [Cool]
Passed my own onto a younger vampire film collector a bit ago but it was fun and made someone happy.
If you are struggling to find the super 8 18mm which is worth looking for tray the Arrow Blu-Ray Collection. You get both Yorga films plus: booklet, Stills gallery, trailers and more.
Region B. Aspect 1.85:1

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC