8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » slow speed/motion projector???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: slow speed/motion projector???
Alan Smith
Junior

- posted July 23, 2007 06:07 PM      Profile for Alan Smith   Email Alan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried search function, and apparently there are/were no projectors with slow motion capability.

How did coaches study all that 16mm film of their football (and other) games?

Can anyone help me locate a projector that either has slow speeds (cr. 5 fps) or that can easily be adapted, please?

Thank you, alan

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2007 08:02 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are usually a few silent projectors on ebay that feature slo mo.....the ones the coaches used included the famous Kodak "analyst" series. There were others and I remember using one in the 60's that had a wired remote control so the coach could instantly change from forward to reverse to replay a certain play. These were silent machines and rarely had more than a 400 or 800 foot capacity.

Alan Smith
Junior

- posted July 24, 2007 09:30 AM      Profile for Alan Smith   Email Alan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!

Thank you very much, alan

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2007 04:15 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Look for the LW projector. They made several versions. The early ones were based on the Kodak Pagent including one that ran sound as well as flickerless silent at still, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc frame rates.

Later they made a machine which was a modification of the Eiki NT. Eiki also made a "sports" model which had a remote for slow speed.

These machines had independent shutters and advance so that the shutter didn't slow down when the film advance was slow, hence no flicker.

They were a "pricey" projector in their day and can be a "nightmare" if you have to go inside the Pagent version. There are also various builds, one of the early ones used a polyurtheane timing belt (like the Fairchild sound 8 projector used to run the sprockets off the shutter shaft) and they have turned to goo which requires cleaning and replacement. If you can find the belt.

In other words, check the operation before you buy--not an ebay item or blind buy item.

John

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2007 01:07 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the UK Specto 16mm Analysis projectors are not that uncommon. As far as I remember they go down to something like 3 FPS.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Alan Smith
Junior

- posted July 25, 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Alan Smith   Email Alan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KODAK ANALYST, I & II (1953-1956).

Spectro Ltd: Motion Analysis Projector [1940] for analysis of RAF gun camera footage! - sold in USA as Wollensak WF329A.

Good Lord! - nothing off the shelf at Walmart?

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a B&H machine with a big knob on the back of the motor which appears to provide for a variable-but-then-fixed speed. It also hav a counter and a handle for manual winding. There is a pic at the end of the 16mm > Various page on my site www.cinerdistan.co.uk.

Alan Smith
Junior

- posted July 31, 2007 10:24 AM      Profile for Alan Smith   Email Alan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, but your link returns: BAD HOST NAME.

However; "a big knob on the motor" sounds like just the ticket -- if life were so simple.

Thanks again, alan

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2007 11:02 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Kodak analyst machine on ebay right now.

Alan Smith
Junior

- posted August 01, 2007 06:23 PM      Profile for Alan Smith   Email Alan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip -- guess it's already sold. All I find is a manual for the Analyst.

regards, alan

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC