8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Replacing the rubber rollers on the Elmo 16-CL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Replacing the rubber rollers on the Elmo 16-CL
Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2007 04:19 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've started replacing the rubber rollers on the Elmo 16-CL. The old ones were all soft and started getting gooey. I've got a fresh set of 4 rubber rollers, but now the tricky bit: how to get the old ones off? Scraping off the first bits is easy, but how to get the rest off? I read in an old thread that people use lighter fluid for this. But how to use it? Do I have to keep the roller for some time in lighter fluid? And what to use then to scrub off the remaining rubber? Any practical help is much appreciated!

- Rob

|  IP: Logged

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Did some replacement of parts on an Elmo one time with a friend, who tried some form of alcohol on the rollers and it started to dissolve them. So meths, surgical spirit etc mite help. There are also proprietary things - I have one called "Sticky Stuff Remover" - which could work. Main thing I guess is to just keep at it.

martyn Stevens

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2007 04:21 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your reply. I ended up buying a can of brake cleaning spray from a shop that sells car stuff (it actually said 'sticky stuff remover' on the can). This worked a treat. The brass rollers are clean and I could slip the new rubber tires on. This should give the projector a new lease of life!

- Rob

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2007 11:30 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rob from where did you get your rubbers

--------------------
Tony

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 02:53 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Ebay seller 'isellprojectorbelts'. He must make a fortune selling this stuff. It looks like he found the right dimensions rubber tube and cuts of small pieces to cover the rollers. I can't imagine he spends more than 5 cents per rubber and sells them for $9 each... Well I suppose we pay for the years of research that he put in coming up with this solution.
Never mind, it is a cost effective way of keeping an essential part of our projectors in good shape.

- Rob

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 07:06 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the same seller for replacement Elmo belts in the past and he offers a good service.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That chap mark is a nice and helpful fellow and is doing a great service for cine, some stuff he will do well on, some bits he has sussed better cheaper alternatives I imagine and all to the good. He deserves to do well on some bits as he must have a huge amount of cash laid out on many of the genuine belts etc.
On the elmo rubbers its a still a great price and a great saving on the original ones, good that you managed to do it OK.
Best Mark.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2007 09:32 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,this must be a "cheap" solution [Big Grin] , but you can have the original elmo rubber roll from larry urbansky who sells it new from factory [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2007 01:19 AM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used clear fishtank air tubing in the past with great success. I stuck the tubing into hot water to soften it before pushing over the brass roller. Once it was on the roller I cut the tube with a stanley knife. I then put the brass roller in an electric drilling machine chuck and trimmed the excess tubing with the stanley knife while turning it (kind of like a lathe). It's lasted for quite some time now.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC