8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Kodak Presstapes Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Kodak Presstapes Question
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 02:35 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I find some decent 16mm Presstapes that work.
The ones I bought have all dried out and will not stick to the film.

Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Roger

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found mine on Ebay. These substitute tapes are not as good as the original Kodak, sometimes the tape comes off the film when you pull one end, and I find one out of every 2 has a fault. I find that I waste 3 or 4 for every side of the splice.

I never had a problem joining Super 8 (not Kodak system). Unfortunately other 16mm tape splicing systems are expensive. Another thing I don't like about the Kodak is the weird cut on 16mm.

http://www.urbanskifilm.com/presstapes.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-PACKS-NEW-16mm-KODAK-PRESSTAPES-/390667371328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af5970340

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 05:32 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robert for the heads up! I always make my splices with cement with film but cement will not work for me on splicing leader to the film. I can't seem to make a proper cement weld to hold?

I have scraped the leader really good but it fails as it goes through the projector gate.
Roger [Confused]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2013 06:53 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
make sure the film/leader are acetate.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 06:08 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roger, I have a very nice cement splicer, but although I do everything to the instructions, many of the splices do not hold. As far as I know the films are acetate. I never had any luck with Super 8 when I took up the hobby 40 years ago, so went over to tape.

P.S. I hope my reply was useful; your original question was Where can I get some Presstapes that WORK. That's a harder question to answer. [Smile]

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 06:27 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim & Robert for your input.
Appreciate it!
Have a Magical Day!
Roger [Smile]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 11:05 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently using freshly purchased Presstapes from Urbanski with no problems to speak of. Sometimes the paper is fussy when pulling it off the adhesive, but I've found if you yank it off quickly it rarely leaves anything behind. Think like pulling off a band-aid - the faster, the better!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 27, 2013 02:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always use a C.I.R. splicer which uses roll tapes which the splicer perforates. I have never had trouble with tape rolls.

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2013 12:00 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Presstapes for perf repair, having nothing better at my disposal, and these doing an excellent job (if a bit visible) while still being possible to remove them. Usually a perf repair is done using only a portion of the tape width, just cut down the length of the tape with scissors before pulling off the paper. I also have a pair of mini scissors that are sometimes needed to trim along the film edge. Sometimes that's due to the tape over-reaching past the hole, sometimes because of shrunken film.

OK, so having just done that over the weekend with new Presstape stock, I had NO problems whatsover. These behaved as well as the best of any prior Kodak stock. Roger, I'm curious if your troubles came from old stock? The current ones have white paper sleeves, but have "presstapes" printed all over the outside like the old Kodak ones did.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This illustrates the problem I have been encountering with the new Presstapes. I have photographed 2 packets to show that 1 out of every 2 has a problem, You can see the tapes at the bottom have a large gap between the removable paper. I find that usually the tape won't stick to the film or the perforations are out.
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 02, 2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quality control is questionalble on the new Presstapes. A couple years ago I ordered Regular 8mm tapes and they were all bad...backing stuck to the tape making them useless. I sent them back and was sent a new supply...those were bad too. I haven't had any problem with the new Super 8 tapes however. Perhaps there are some bad 8mm & 16mm batches still floating around.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2013 08:28 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some 8mm presstapes with the same problem still have hundreds left bought a box may end up selling the rest.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2013 12:11 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to all of you with such bad quality. This is not currently the case. That doesn't resolve your crummy stock issue, but I don't want to discourage anyone who reads this from placing a new order, as the present supply appears to be very good.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2013 12:21 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered a bunch from larry so hopefully they will be good ones!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2013 03:49 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PLEASE let us know what you think of them - Thanks!!!

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2013 04:10 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will do Bill

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 08:27 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
The presstapes from Larry work great!
RS

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 07:43 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! Glad to hear!

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 10:38 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Bill I had old stock and that was the problem!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC